Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

The new kindle...Here it is

Here is the link and info about the new kindle. I am not too worried about my nook seeing as you still cant buy books from other venders or borrow books. I still made the best choice for my needs. Just wanted to share with anyone who was interested. 

Contributor
Goatcabin
0 Kudos

Re: The new kindle...Here it is

Here's the link:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20012007-1.html

It looks cool, but I don't regret my decision to go with the Nook. Amazon's made some shady deals lately and is too much of a closed system for my taste.

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/28/new-amazon-kindle-announced-139-wifi-only-version-and-189-3g/

Here the one I tried to post. I dont regret my decision either I love my nook. I will say the battery life is appealing tho. 

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yep tho I see the nook getting the pressure cooker treatment. And was shock that the nook didn't have the Black version as an option.

• WiFi and 3G ($189), WiFi only ($139)
  • 21 percent smaller than previous Kindle
  • 15 percent lighter (8.7 ounces)
  • Like the new Kindle DX, screen offers 50 percent better contrast
  • 20 percent faster page turns, according to Amazon
  • 4GB built-in memory
  • Smaller page-turn buttons that are quieter (clicking noise is nearly silent)
  • Up to four weeks of battery life from sealed-in battery (wireless turned off)
  • New "experimental" WebKit-based browser (experimental). Amazon says the updated web browser is "faster, easier to navigate, and provides a new 'article mode' feature that simplifies web pages to just the main text-based content for easier reading."
  • Expanded text-speech options. New text-to-speech enabled menus allow you to navigate the Kindle without having to read menu options. You can not only listen to books aloud (certain ones, anyway) but content listings on the home screen, item descriptions, and all menu options.
  • Amazon says the new Kindle uses an improved built-in PDF reader, with new dictionary lookup, notes and highlights, and support for password protected PDFs.

But the ones bold have me concerned about how B&N is going to address them. As they are generally high up on people's priorities.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

I think it is funny on the link that amillio gave that the title of the book on the kindle is The Art of Choosing. It really is all about the choice! :smileyhappy:

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Lexa555 wrote:

I think it is funny on the link that amillio gave that the title of the book on the kindle is The Art of Choosing. It really is all about the choice! :smileyhappy:

Speaking of choice, looks like K3 is actually going to have a font choice: Serif, Sans-Serif, or Condensed.

Contributor
Dranakin
0 Kudos

I'm a fan of the better battery life and would like to see the improved screen contrast (a problem I have with my Nook), but I still prefer the openess to formats that the Nook offers.

Contributor
Jaydoc
0 Kudos

I want one! It has many new features that sound great (battery, screen resolution, fonts...) Amazon is far superior to B&N when it comes to finding and buying books. Maybe I can sell my Nook on eBay or just give it to my Daughter (of course she wants a Kindle)

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

The kindle can have all the bells and whistles in the world, but until Amazon opens it up to allow, at the very least, the ability to read books from the public library, it will remain the inferior product (for me).  

(note: the same holds true for the ipad, at least insofar as it is marketed as an ebook reader)

Frequent Contributor
Rex_Green
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:
  • Up to four weeks of battery life from sealed-in battery (wireless turned off)
But the ones bold have me concerned about how B&N is going to address them. As they are generally high up on people's priorities.

Yep, I agree. Of course, if Amazon's marketing is like B&N's the new Kindle's battery life will really only be two weeks.  :smileymad:

AllenR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The e-reader market is heating up real fast and B&N seems to be running a little luke warm.

Where's our V1.5 or V2.0 order of magnitude improvement in useability ????

:smileysad:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

AllenR
0 Kudos

very-simple wrote:

The kindle can have all the bells and whistles in the world, but until Amazon opens it up to allow, at the very least, the ability to read books from the public library, it will remain the inferior product (for me).  

(note: the same holds true for the ipad, at least insofar as it is marketed as an ebook reader)

Agreed and same here, but I bet the majority of users don't make use of such nook features as open format, sideloading and library lending.  Most consumers just aren't that technically savvy. 

Kindle users will buy from Amazon and be very happy.

nook users will buy from B&N and be very happy

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

Still doesn't support epub.

Still bad.

*shrug*

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Still doesn't support epub.

Still bad.

*shrug*

No it doesn't support epub, I don't think that makes it a bad reader though, I don't think any of the top readers aree bad...  It's one of those different strokes for different folks kind of things.

*I* wouldn't go with a closed format reader myself, I like the option to shop and browse the libraries BUT I think the Nook is in trouble if they don't answer this pretty quickly in some manner...

Look at the majority of the posts here in the last several weeks, as the prices come down these things are becoming a real inpulse buy, people are looking at the newest and cheapest, they aren't looking at features and quite frankly I think many people would give up the open option for the memory, battery life and newer screen on the K3... 

Inspired Correspondent
DblGee
0 Kudos

I still prefer Nook - even if only for the replaceable battery without having to send it somewhere, and like others have mentioned - not real crazy about some of the deals with publishers going on at Amazon these days.

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

Still love my Nook!!!  I don't mind plugging in and charging the battery every few days--it's no big deal.  I like the open format of my Nook--to me, I will take the ability to check out library books and to also lend and borrow over the longer battery life anyday!!  I also love the touchscreen format versus the keyboard on the Kindle.

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Contributor
Kindict
0 Kudos

As a longtime Kindle owner and short time Kobo and Nook owner, I'd like to add my two cents:

The Nook's color touch screen (with all its faults) is great for navigation and pretty good for data entry. Not even close to Apple's touch interface, but really good for the price and purpose. The Kindle and Kobo's eink interfaces are a pain to navigate in. Short of combining a Kindle DX and an iPad, the Nook interface is pretty much as good as it gets for e-readers.

As for the new Kindle:

• WiFi and 3G ($189), WiFi only ($139)

Good price points, and 3G actually works in other countries, but still bad because Amazon will maintain the $2 wireless delivery charge. WiFi connectivity is a no-brainer and should have been standard from day one.
  • New "experimental" WebKit-based browser (experimental). Amazon says the updated web browser is "faster, easier to navigate, and provides a new 'article mode' feature that simplifies web pages to just the main text-based content for easier reading."
All browsers suck on eink displays (which have sucked for refresh since 1965). Also love the fact that Amazon is offering a Lynx-type browser (circa 1992).
  • Amazon says the new Kindle uses an improved built-in PDF reader, with new dictionary lookup, notes and highlights, and support for password protected PDFs.
Should have been there from day one - especially since it's really only a software upgrade. This is really what all Kindle users want, but I'm not holding my breath that Amazon will release it for existing readers.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FrogAlum wrote:

No it doesn't support epub, I don't think that makes it a bad reader though, I don't think any of the top readers aree bad...  It's one of those different strokes for different folks kind of things.

In my opinion it does make it a bad reader, though. I find hardware fairly unimportant at this point - most every eink display is the same (yeah, better contrast here and there is nice, but everyone is going to be using those screens within the next few months anyway). What you're paying for now is software, and a closed format is a real dealbreaker there, at least as I see it.

Incidentally, this is what Jeff Bezos had to say about the lack of Epub support from Amazon:

"Q: Why doesn't Amazon support the popular "e-pub" standard used by your competitors and many libraries?

A: We are innovating so rapidly that having our own standard allows us to incorporate new things at a very rapid rate. For example: Whispersync (which uses wireless connections to sync your place in a book across devices) and changing font sizes.

Other standards over time may incorporate some of these things. But we're moving very quickly to improve the state of the art. It's very helpful not to have to wait for some third-party standard to catch up."

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

In my opinion it does make it a bad reader, though. I find hardware fairly unimportant at this point - most every eink display is the same (yeah, better contrast here and there is nice, but everyone is going to be using those screens within the next few months anyway). What you're paying for now is software, and a closed format is a real dealbreaker there, at least as I see it.

Incidentally, this is what Jeff Bezos had to say about the lack of Epub support from Amazon:

"Q: Why doesn't Amazon support the popular "e-pub" standard used by your competitors and many libraries?

A: We are innovating so rapidly that having our own standard allows us to incorporate new things at a very rapid rate. For example: Whispersync (which uses wireless connections to sync your place in a book across devices) and changing font sizes.

Other standards over time may incorporate some of these things. But we're moving very quickly to improve the state of the art. It's very helpful not to have to wait for some third-party standard to catch up."

He forgot to mention that by not having epub support, one can ONLY buy their books from Amazon...hmmmmmm....:smileywink:

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Frequent Contributor
Kunde
0 Kudos

In my eyes those are only minor improvements. Improvements yes, but nothing really to get excited about. Maybe I am just disappointed, because I was secretly hoping for Amazon to come up with a real cool device.