Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Danieljakeb
0 Kudos

The new "nook" in Canada

Hello everyone! :smileyhappy:

My name is Daniel and I have a question about the new "nook".

A few days before, I was doing a research on my computer about the new "Kobo" e-reading device.

I have a few comparisons to make and that need to be answered.

1. From December 1st, this is what I heard from other discussions, will it be possible to buy an "nook" in Canada, use the 3G plus all the other features like in the US?
  2. If I buy a "nook", will I be able to use diffrent kind of libraries, like the "Kobo" device, such as the Amazon "Kindle" library, the "Kobo" library, etc? (I heard this from a employee at Smithbooks in Canada)
  3. Finally, can you compare both and tell me which one is the best choice, for e-reading on the go and in other countries?

Thank you very much,

Daniel

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

Re: The new "nook" in Canada

I'm not an expert, so take these comments for what they are.

1. I believe the 3G is US only, but the WIFI should work everywhere. The Kobo doesn't have either, so the Nook is still one up on that front. The other big difference is that Kobo, as far as I can tell from the website, has only a d-pad for navigation. No keyboard, so no note taking.

2. Currently the Nook has no way to organize the books. However, this is one of the most frequently asked for features, and it's quite possible that a future software update will address this (I have no inside knowledge, this is user speculation). I do question your description of the Kobo, though. A "Kindle" library doesn't sound correct. Kindle books are a proprietary format, and I highly doubt that the Kobo will be able to read them.

3. That depends on your needs. The Nook is the more capable of the two devices, by a long shot. But if all you're going to do is read books, and don't care for the other features (note taking, better navigation, purchasing books directly from the device, ability to play games on the device), then the cheaper Kobo may be the device for you.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1. I haven't heard any rumors about B&N expanding NOOK availability and 3G into Canada. A number of Canadians buy them in the US. You already know that the 3G does not work in Canada. Many e-books that B&N sells are restricted to the United States, so you may not be able to get all of the titles you want from them.

2. The NOOK can use e-books bought from almost anyone but Amazon. Amazon's e-books are only usable on the Kindle and Kindle apps, which means that anyone with a collection of Amazon e-books is chained to Amazon forever unless they want to throw away their e-book collection. The NOOK works fine with Adobe EPUB e-books from Kobo, Sony, and many other e-book stores. It also handles the Secure eReader format sold by ereader.com. And, of course, it handles non-DRMed EPUBs and eReader e-books available from various sources. If you buy anywhere but Barnes & Noble, you'll have to download the e-book to a computer and sideload onto the NOOK; the wireless shopping and downloading is strictly B&N.

3. The NOOK is not an international device. As long as you load it up with the e-books that you want to read before you leave the US/Canada, you're fine. But buying e-books from outside of that area is problematic. You'd need to buy them using a computer, from an e-book store that sells in the area you're in, and then sideload them onto the NOOK. You'd have to do the same with the Kobo. The Kindle is somewhat more international, but from what I've heard it's still not all roses.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I was just looking at the kobo reader.  It does not read pdb format, but does read epub and you can check out books from the library.  Like the nook and other e-readers, it cannot read books from Amazon. 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

If you are living in or visiting Canada you can shop our eBook store and download eBooks to your B&N eReader supported devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Mac and PC. This also includes the NOOK.

Although we are not selling NOOK in Canada (or anywhere outside of the United States) at this time, if you are using NOOK in Canada you will be able to sync to your B&N eBooks library and access our eBook store via Wi-Fi (not 3G).

Having a Canadian billing address and CC would not preclude a customer from placing an eBook order.  When you create an account on BN.com you can input a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address and save them as your defaults.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
Danieljakeb
0 Kudos

Hello! It's Daniel!

Just need to clarify one thing: will the "nook" be available in Canada by December 1st?

Thank you again,

Daniel :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Danieljakeb,

Unfortunately I cannot verify that NOOK will be available in Canada by December 1st.

At this time, NOOK is only available for shipping to the US. We understand the interest for our customers outside of the US and are working to bring NOOK to everyone.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
Danieljakeb
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information!

I'll just stick with the Kobo! 

It comes with 100 free books! :smileywink:

Daniel

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Being shipped with 100 "free" books is actually meaningless if I'm not mistaken.  Those are all books that are available as free downloads from numerous sources.  Unless I'm wrong all those "free" books are is marketing genius.

As far as 3G is concerned, the reason you can't get 3G in Canada is because AT&T is the providing carrier.  AT&T is not in Canada.  Maybe B&N will make a deal with Rogers at some point?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
ottawan
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:
If you are living in or visiting Canada you can shop our eBook store and download eBooks to your B&N eReader supported devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Mac and PC. This also includes the NOOK.
Having a Canadian billing address and CC would not preclude a customer from placing an eBook order.  When you create an account on BN.com you can input a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address and save them as your defaults.

Thanks Michael, in the thread "Questions re: Canada, browser", around reply #15, Doug_Pardee calculated that 2 of the top 50 B&N bestsellers ship to Canada. I searched on RAHeinlein and Dick Francis and found a total of 1 title that would ship to Canada.

It's my understanding that "ship to Canada" is based on the IP address of the device (nook, PC, Mac, etc.) being used to make the purchase, and not on the billing/CC address. Is that right?

If it's the IP address then an American travelling in Canada could not purchase any of the other 48 Top-50, nor the Heinlein/Dick Francis books. Also it would mean a Canadian could use a Canadian address (& Canadian CC) to purchase those US-only books as long as they were connecting with a US IP address.

Do I have that right, or is it some other combination?

Thanks!

=aw

Inspired Contributor
Fantolay
0 Kudos

Indeed, those 100 free books are free for everyone...

For the same price as the Kobo get a Nook WiFi, then you won't have to worry about 3G

Frequent Contributor
ottawan
0 Kudos

I think Kobo was an attractive alternative at $149 when nook and Kindle were $259. I'm glad I hadn't heard of it before because I might have bought one.

Now with a $149 nook it's not as attractive, of course, though it does sound like some of its software features are better than nook's.

=aw

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@ottawan,If you are living in or visiting Canada you can shop our eBook store and download eBooks to your B&N eReader supported devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Mac and PC. This also includes the NOOK.  Having a Canadian billing address and CC would not preclude a customer from placing an eBook order. When you create an account on BN.com you can input a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address and save them as your defaults.
I bolded the sections to see if this would clarify for you the explanation a bit better.

Frequent Contributor
ottawan
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael-V, am I right that the bold sections (particularly the first) is further defined as "those eBooks that are listed for US & Canada"? In the case of BN's Top 50, that would be "2 of the 50" (per Doug_Pardee's posting). In the case of Robert Heinlein and Dick Francis novels, that would be "1 out of all of them".

I'm not disputing the claim, nor questioning the reasons (I understand about licensing) but wanted to check that while I can register and purchase, while in Canada I can only get those "for US and Canada" but more importantly, while physically in the US, would my Canadian CC and billing address still have access to the full range of "for sale in US" titles? [bolded for clarity]

Thanks!

=aw

Contributor
Danieljakeb
0 Kudos

Hello!

Thanks for all the information about the "nook" Wi-Fi. 

I'll do more reasearch on it! 

Thanks,

Daniel aka. the thread starter (WOW THIS THREAD GOT 

Contributor
Danieljakeb
0 Kudos

Hello all!

After all the advice you all gave me, I think I'm more likely to chose the "nook Wi-Fi.

First of all, it has much more features than the "Kobo", and second of all, has more internal memory. Thank you all for your help.

I know, AlanNJ told me that all those free books are a gimic to attract more people to the "Kobo".

The only thing is that those are 100 FREE BOOKS!

I need alot of time to think...

If any one of the people reading this are having the same issue, even with another product, you can reply to this message on the thread "Re. The new "nook" in Canada" and tell me your opinion about your considerations.

Thanks a bunch,

Daniel, your thread starter