Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Thrillers4Me
0 Kudos

Thinking of buying a Nook

When ereaders first appeared I didn't warm up to them.  I spend too much time in front of a computer as it is, and I just love curling up with a good BOOK.  I also enjoy sharing my favorites with my sister and other friends.

I'm thinking about getting an ereader now b/c the prices have come down and I'd like to have less to carry with me when I'm on trips.  I think Nook allows for sharing with other Nook users, correct? 

I'm interested in the free wifi as I sometimes find my travel plans changing.  I may need to find a hotel in a remote city and pull off and lug the laptop out to reserve a room online.  If I can use an ereader for some basic surfing to do this then I'm very interested.  If I can access email then I wouldn't take the laptop on personal trips.

Can one surf with the Nook?  Is there some type of display keyboard?

Are you happy with your Nook purchase?  If you bought a new ereader today would you still choose a Nook?  Why?  Do those of you in the over 40 crowd experience eye strain?  Can an ebook really replace an honest to goodness printed version?

I've looked at some sites to review ereaders and haven't found their data to be up to date so I thought I'd ask some real users of the one that I'm thinking about.

Thanks for your time!

Reader 2
jfs48
0 Kudos

Re: Thinking of buying a Nook

I love my Nook.  Easy to dowload books from B&N and free books from the library and lots of other sources.  If you're looking for a replacement to surf the web with, I wouldn't bother.  It's more trouble than it's worth.  Yes, you can get on-line, but it takes a lot of button pushing just to see what's on the web page.  The keyboard works okay, but with one letter at a time typing, it takes forever.  This isn't a smart phone or I-pad.  It is a great way to read books.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Sharing - only if the book has a lend me feature (determined by publisher, not B&N) and then you can only do it once.  If you share an account with someone (and CC#) you can share everything. 

Don't count on it for great browsing.  You can only use wifi to browse, and some hotels w/ passwords and stuff don't work on the nook.

You really need to go to a B&N and check it out.

However, I'm 52 and experience no eyestrain as it is like reading a paper book.  It is not backlit, so if you read at night, you'd need a booklight and there are lots of good options out there. 

Would I buy one again - absolutely, without a doubt.  The nook has the option of buying from other sources (not Amazon) and I can also check e-books out of the three public libraries that I belong to that carry e-books.  I don't miss hauling paperbacks around or finding myself without a book.

But, it's an e-reader.  I rarely use the browser.  The Kindle supposedly has a better browser (nook's is still Beta), but then you are locked into Amazon's format.

Reader 2
jfs48
0 Kudos

I forgot to add that it is easy on the eyes - my Nook doesn't tire my eyes like computer screens.  You can change the size of fonts and and have a few choices of serif or san serif fonts.  The touch screen at the bottom is easy to navigate.  I leave my Nook in airplane mode to conserve battery life and it seems to last me about a week of daily reading.  It charges up quickly (about 2 hours or less).  It's just a tap on the screen to turn the wi-fi back on.  I haven't tried downloading MP3 music or books yet.  My MP3 player is smaller and I find music distracting when I'm reading anyway.

Would I buy it again?  You bet.  My main reason for getting the Nook was the ability to get books from multiple sources.  The library is adding more books every day and there are a ton of classic books available free too.  I don't like companies who force you to buy from them only.

Frequent Contributor
Kunde
0 Kudos

The Nook has a basic web browser; it is technically possible to surf the web. However, its not really fun. When I tried it was way too slow. I guess the processor is not strong very strong, and the eInk Display is just not optimal for this kind of stuff. Navigation is actually OK, because of the touch-screen that works like a combination of track-pad and keyboard. But again it is so slow, I stopped using it, and I wouldn't recommend it for anybody.

So, if you want to surf the web you are better of with an ipad or netbook. However, I also spend too much time on the computer already every day. I love gadgets, and I love the ipad, but it makes you feel like you are constantly hooked up to a computer screen. An eReader with an eInk display doesn't feel like a computer at all. It is easy on the eyes. It is much closer to a real book (some say its even better), and for THAT reason I bought a nook, and I love it!!!!

Contributor
amiesan
0 Kudos

I looked into the different ereaders when they first came out and waited a while before even considering the purchase. I weighed the pros and cons of the "Big Three" before settling on the Nook. My husband bought it for my birthday in June before the prices dropped and I had the added bonus of getting the $50 gift card along with it. I liked the Nook best because of its size which really makes it easily portable (I have a cover for it and it slips nicely into my purse) and I love the touch screen capability. I think it also has a nice sleek design to it that IMO the other ereaders don't have. I find it as easy to read - perhaps even easier on the eyes than a regular paper-paged book. The fonts are crisp and clear plus you've got the added advantage of changing the font size to one that is more comfortable and easier to read. Something you can't do with a book book - with that you are stuck with whatever font type and size the publisher chose and there's the possibility of the ink running just a smidge so the text can be slightly blurred. Oh, and since you asked maybe I should mention that I am 41 - so just barely in that "over 40 crowd". I love my Nook and I am VERY happy with my purchase/gift. I still will purchase regular books but most of the time I'm reading something on my Nook. Whether it is a free book - either one of the many short stories or the free classics - or a purchased book or one from the library I've usually got my Nook with me. 

Also, with the Nook there's the added convenience of the free coupons for things from the Barnes & Noble cafe or other tid-bits you can get that isn't an option with the other ereaders. It also is awesome for travel. generally if I travel somewhere I'm bringing books with me. If it's for more than a one-night stay then I'm carting several books and that takes up a lot of luggage space. I don't have that problem any more. I just bring my Nook and I'm all set!

Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
0 Kudos

jfs48 wrote:

I love my Nook.  Easy to dowload books from B&N and free books from the library and lots of other sources.  If you're looking for a replacement to surf the web with, I wouldn't bother.  It's more trouble than it's worth.  Yes, you can get on-line, but it takes a lot of button pushing just to see what's on the web page.  The keyboard works okay, but with one letter at a time typing, it takes forever.  This isn't a smart phone or I-pad.  It is a great way to read books.

I completely agree with all of this.  With Nook, you're getting a microSD slot which is going to allow you limitless storage.  You are able to check out ebooks from your library which is something you cannot do with Kindle.  I love my Nook; I've had it since Valentine's Day.  If I were purchasing one today I personally would go with the less expensive wi-fi only version because I do not use it as a browser and  either sideload books from my computer or purchase ebooks while online on my laptop.  The touch keyboard is not really my favorite so I tend to just use Nook to read only.

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
New User
samwise13
0 Kudos

Do not buy the Nook or Kindle. Look at one of the generic e-readers available. They support most e-book types and are not as buggy as the Nook software. I have two e-readers a Nook and a generic (Mentor from Astak). I have not gotten the Nook to read any of my downloaded books correctly. I have never has an issue with the Mentor. Plus the case is a better fit to the reader as opposed to the Nook designer covers (Joke).

salander_9277
0 Kudos

samwise13 wrote:

Do not buy the Nook or Kindle. Look at one of the generic e-readers available. They support most e-book types and are not as buggy as the Nook software. I have two e-readers a Nook and a generic (Mentor from Astak). I have not gotten the Nook to read any of my downloaded books correctly. I have never has an issue with the Mentor. Plus the case is a better fit to the reader as opposed to the Nook designer covers (Joke).

While a generic e-reader might have it's pros (I do not have one so I cannot comment on that) I've found that Nook does support many formats easily.  I have successfully viewed .lit, .epub, .pdf, .doc, and .pdb.  Calibre (a free program) can convert formats of non-DRM books so if you have a format that is not reading well, you can easily change it to a more viewable format.  As for "buggy", I have not experienced what you are referring to.  I have had my Nook since February and since the latest software update, months ago, I have not had one single problem with my books or the operating software in general.  

As to a cover, I found Oberon Designs makes a gorgeous and perfect fit for a cover.  It has protected my Nook from small dives off the coffee table and the front of the cover folds back like a book cover which simulates (for me) the overall feel of reading a paperback.  So that being said, don't let the idea that the Nook covers don't fit deter you from purchasing.

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
dee_deefl
0 Kudos

I was like you.

I hemmed and hawed about which e reader that I wanted.

I researched the Nook, Kindle and Sony.

It took me a loong time before I made up my mind to get a Nook.

I like the fact that I can get some great free books on Friday.

I enjoy reading on my Nook when I'm out and about.

I, just, love my Nook.

I've had NO problems with it.

Get a  Nook.

Frequent Contributor
asgalbraith
0 Kudos

I love my Nook!

If it was the same price as it was when I bought it $259, I'd still pay more for it.

I like that I can lend books to my fellow readers.

I can borrow books from public libraries that use Overdrive.

I like that I can add a memory chip to expand my library.

I like that I can replace the battery without having to send it somewhere to be replaced.

I like that I can buy my ebooks from many places other than Barnes & Noble and use many different formats.

I also like that I can download the books and store them on an external harddrive for safe keeping (you can't do that with Kindle).

I have used the web browser, which is nice when I want to read a online only book or text. I get terrible eyestrain from reading on the computer, 20 mins and I am watery eyed and head achey.  I have no trouble reading on the Nook. No eyestrain at all.

I totally support your purchase of a Nook.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

I really enjoy my Nook and would definitely buy one again. I use the web browser and don't really have any problems with it except it is a little cumbersome. I'm hoping that when B&N has it's next downloadable upgrade, that better web browsing will be part of it.
Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

where do you even put a micro sd card. I'm thinking about getting one.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Alanakat wrote:

where do you even put a micro sd card. I'm thinking about getting one.

Just above and behind the battery

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

My nook is just a month old at this point. My husband and I got his n' her nooks and we love them. Software has not been buggy, the reading experience has been good. We've loaded both free PDF and EPUB files... PDFs can be variable, sometimes you need to clean up the metadata in Calibre and sometimes convert to EPUB, but most have been at least readable if they are ebook PDFs. Technical PDFs like hardware manuals can be iffy, since you may not be able to see illustrations large enough.

I'm over 50 and I find that the e-Ink screen of nook is very easy on my eyes. More so even than paper books! I think the flat surface of the screen opposed to a curved paper book page helps me. I also love turning pages via swiping on the touchscreen! Very easy, very intuitive, though it can take a little practice to get the hang of it at first.

As for the web browser, it works, but I'd consider it not a primary function. Don't plan on doing lots of browsing with it.

I would definitely buy a nook again... love being able to check out books from the library!

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

The Nook was my choice because it does everything that I wanted:

-Access to EPUB files which means you can borrow ebooks from the library

-Sharp screen using Eink technology

-Quick operation

-Tie in with Barnes and Noble, my favorite brick and morter bookstore

-Very nice looking

-And finally, something that I did not think I would ever like, very useful, cool, touchscreen controls

Contributor
toska
0 Kudos

I can happily say that I am very happy with my Nook.  I carry it with me everywhere.  I never know what I am going to want to read so, when I travel, I used to take 3-4 books with me so I would be able to read what I wanted.  Now, I have a huge library of books in my Nook and it is so convenient to carry.  I have found the Nook very easy to use and do not have problems with eye strain. 

If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely buy a Nook.  I am so happy with mine that I plan to buy my mother one for Christmas.  I have also recommended it to several people. 

Contributor
QuantumIvory
0 Kudos

A word of caution.

I purchased my Nook a couple of months ago and was generally very pleased with it. Like most everyone else, I did a lot of research trying to determine which eReader to buy...the Nook or the Kindle. What persuaded me to get the Nook was the touchscreen, the ability to add additional memory, all the free books available, and the ability to download eBooks from the public library.

What I did NOT scrutinize carefully enough was the availability of eBooks from BN compared to Amazon.  The last five eBooks I've wanted to purchase were not available in eBook form from BN, but were available for Kindle on Amazon. A big disappointment.

I would suggest searching for books on both BN and Amazon that you may want in the near future to see if they are available for the Nook and then decide.

I will likely give my Nook to my wife and purchase the new 3rd generation Kindle when it is available next month.

Correspondent
Rasyr

QuantumIvory wrote:

What I did NOT scrutinize carefully enough was the availability of eBooks from BN compared to Amazon.  The last five eBooks I've wanted to purchase were not available in eBook form from BN, but were available for Kindle on Amazon. A big disappointment.

First off, welcome to the forums, and I hope you aren't just a troll trying to talk somebody out of purchasing a nook - but your very first post on the forums being one that is attempting to discourage another person from purchasing a nook makes that hope a slim one, I think.

QuantumIvory wrote:

I would suggest searching for books on both BN and Amazon that you may want in the near future to see if they are available for the Nook and then decide.

Actually, a better place to search would be AddAll or Inkmesh, which compares the prices of a given book at MORE than just B&N and Amazon.

http://ebooks.addall.com/

http://www.inkmesh.com/

See, one of the best features of the nook is that, unlike the Kindle, it isn't tied to a SINGLE specific vendor.

With the nook you can purchase ebooks from many different vendors. You can shop around, and decide who you want to purcase.

Now, granted, it is possible that Amazon may have books available that are not yet available on B&N, especially backlist titles, since Amazon had a much larger head start over other ebook providers. But the publishers are slowly getting them converted over to epubs (which is essentially the standard)

In a recent interview an Amazon big wig claimed that the reason the kindle didn't support the industry standard was because they wanted to be able to innovate for their customers.

I want to note that this is the SAME argument that Microsoft has always used in their "Embrace, Extend, & Extinguish" paradigm for just about any other standard that they tried to overpower.

The truth is - by NOT supporting the industry standard format, they lock you purchasing only from them, forever....

So, it boils down (in my mind) to.....

staying with one vendor forever

or

being able to choose which vendor I want to purchase from.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL