Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
QuantumIvory
0 Kudos

Re: Thinking of buying a Nook

Let me assure you I am not a troll and, frankly, I resent your accusation.  I truly like the readability of the Nook and if more titles were available on it I would not be disappointed whatsoever. Here is a list of books I wanted to purchase that weren’t available as eBooks on the Nook, but were available on the Kindle
:
-Life Itself: Exploring the Realm of the Living Cell
-The Way of the Cell: Molecules, Organisms, and the Order of Life
-Origins of Life (Freeman Dyson)
-Emergence of Life on Earth: A Historical and Scientific Overview
-Cosmic Conversations: Dialogues on the Nature of the Universe and the Search for Reality
-The Machinery of Life

Again, my disappointment comes from the paucity of titles available on the Nook compared to the Kindle. Nothing more, nothing less.

Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
0 Kudos

QuantumIvory wrote:

Let me assure you I am not a troll and, frankly, I resent your accusation.  I truly like the readability of the Nook and if more titles were available on it I would not be disappointed whatsoever. Here is a list of books I wanted to purchase that weren’t available as eBooks on the Nook, but were available on the Kindle
:
-Life Itself: Exploring the Realm of the Living Cell
-The Way of the Cell: Molecules, Organisms, and the Order of Life
-Origins of Life (Freeman Dyson)
-Emergence of Life on Earth: A Historical and Scientific Overview
-Cosmic Conversations: Dialogues on the Nature of the Universe and the Search for Reality
-The Machinery of Life

Again, my disappointment comes from the paucity of titles available on the Nook compared to the Kindle. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think the prior poster was trying to say that just because you did not find the book on B&N's website, does not mean that you couldn't very well purchase the book elsewhere for your Nook.  There are tons of sites: Fictionwise, Kobo, even Sony ebooks can be read on the Nook.  The thing is, with Kindle, if Amazon ever doesn't have your book, you're out of luck buck.

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Nook_Library
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
  Quantumlvory-
-Life Itself: Exploring the Realm of the Living Cell- Only Amazon
-The Way of the Cell: Molecules, Organisms, and the Order of Life- You can buy this book at this link.
-Origins of Life (Freeman Dyson)- There's several websites that sell this. Here's a link.
-Emergence of Life on Earth: A Historical and Scientific Overview- Only Amazon
-Cosmic Conversations: Dialogues on the Nature of the Universe and the Search for Reality-You can get this ebook at the Sony store. Here's a link.
-The Machinery of Life- You can buy this book at this link.
From what I can tell, there's only 2 books out of the 6 books you listed that you wouldn't be able to buy for your nook.
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Alanakat wrote:

where do you even put a micro sd card. I'm thinking about getting one.

@Alanakat

A microSD card is a very good addition, but before you try to install it, make sure that you read and understand the User's Manual section on it.  The process isn't either difficult or complicated, but it's easy to get it wrong if you're not prepared. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
QuantumIvory
0 Kudos

Nook_Library wrote:
  Quantumlvory-
-The Way of the Cell: Molecules, Organisms, and the Order of Life- You can buy this book at this link.
-Origins of Life (Freeman Dyson)- There's several websites that sell this. Here's a link.
-Cosmic Conversations: Dialogues on the Nature of the Universe and the Search for Reality-You can get this ebook at the Sony store. Here's a link.
From what I can tell, there's only 2 books out of the 6 books you listed that you wouldn't be able to buy for your nook.

Interesting, Nook_Library. Thank you for the links... I'll check this out further. However, I still remain impressed by the availability of books from Amazon as opposed to other sources. Your info certainly makes the Nook a bit more attractive though.

Thanks again.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

QuantumIvory wrote:

Nook_Library wrote:
  Quantumlvory-

Interesting, Nook_Library. Thank you for the links... I'll check this out further. However, I still remain impressed by the availability of books from Amazon as opposed to other sources. Your info certainly makes the Nook a bit more attractive though.

Thanks again.

The four books on that list that are available from other vendors are PDF only, no ePub. Small ereaders don't render PDFs very well.

Edit: I didn't see the Reader Store link on the Cosmic Conversations book. That one appears to be ePub.

Inspired Correspondent
DblGee
0 Kudos

• I love my Nook and take it with me wherever I go.  I would buy it again in a flat minute - even at the old price.
  • Although an avid reader already I read even more now than before. 
  • Love the convenience of being able to use a gift card to pay for purchases instead of adding charges to my credit card. 
  • I'm in the over 50 crowd and find reading on Nook easier on my eyes than DTB books
  • I have not yet run into the issue of wanting a book I couldn't get from B&N
  • I spend my entire working day on a computer so have no interest in surfing the Web - my Nook is exactly what I want it to be - a GREAT E-Reader
  • My biggest buying point was simply the amount of space it saves not having hundreds of books I'm constantly having to "cull" simply because I don't have anymore space to put them.  I like to re-read books and in the past would sometimes wind up having to purchase books over again simply because at some point I had gotten rid of it due to lack of space.
  • I love the fact I can purchase an extra battery instead of having to send it off to be replaced
  • The SD card to expand storage space is great
  • The biggest downside for me is that nobody I really know has a Nook to trade books with - yet!
Frequent Contributor
Nook_Library
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tim40744 wrote:

QuantumIvory wrote:

Nook_Library wrote:
  Quantumlvory-

Thanks again.

The four books on that list that are available from other vendors are PDF only, no ePub. Small ereaders don't render PDFs very well.

Edit: I didn't see the Reader Store link on the Cosmic Conversations book. That one appears to be ePub.

Tim, could it be converted to epub in calibre?

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Nook_Library wrote:

Tim40744 wrote:

QuantumIvory wrote:

Nook_Library wrote:
  Quantumlvory-

Thanks again.

Tim, could it be converted to epub in calibre?

If the PDFs weren't protected, you could. I haven't tried converting PDFs but I've read Doug's posts about them often not turning out very readable. It's amazing how difficult it can be to buy a digital book in a format you can read. It can get rather frustrating. If you want a NY Times bestseller, you're usually fine. Beyond that, results vary.

Contributor
QuantumIvory
0 Kudos

Seems I'm back to square one.  As pointed out above, two of the books are only available on Amazon (which is 33% and no small number) and the others are available elsewhere, but only in PDF format.

I am wondering now whether I really care that Amazon has their own platform and I am "forced" to buy books only from them if I buy a Kindle. If they are readily available on Amazon and are competitively priced, why not buy them there?

BTW, a couple of weeks ago I sent an email to BN expressing my concern and disappointment over their selection of eBooks and the reply was, basically: "check back often to see if the book is offered as an eBook." That was not a satisfactory answer, but, to be fair, it may have been the only answer available for them to offer at this time. Still, it doesn't solve my problem.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

QuantumIvory wrote:

Seems I'm back to square one.  As pointed out above, two of the books are only available on Amazon (which is 33% and no small number) and the others are available elsewhere, but only in PDF format.

I am wondering now whether I really care that Amazon has their own platform and I am "forced" to buy books only from them if I buy a Kindle. If they are readily available on Amazon and are competitively priced, why not buy them there?

BTW, a couple of weeks ago I sent an email to BN expressing my concern and disappointment over their selection of eBooks and the reply was, basically: "check back often to see if the book is offered as an eBook." That was not a satisfactory answer, but, to be fair, it may have been the only answer available for them to offer at this time. Still, it doesn't solve my problem.

Sounds like you've about talked yourself into a Kindle.  If you believe you'd be happier with it, don't overthink it, go for it! :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

QuantumIvory wrote:

The issue isn't just that you can only buy the e-books from Amazon, but that the DRMed e-books that you buy from Amazon can only be read on a Kindle or a Kindle app. The more you buy, the more you're locked in. Not a big problem if you don't think you'll be sticking with dedicated e-reader devices, because Kindle apps are available for most programmable device platforms.

As to e-book availability:

B&N is new in the e-book business, while Amazon has been at it for a few years now. B&N seems to be (understandably) focusing on getting the more popular titles in stock. That's going to be fiction and "pop" non-fiction. Specialty non-fiction is probably lower on their priority list.

Another issue is the publisher. B&N has distribution contracts with all of the big publishers and a number of small ones. But working out distribution contracts, plus the computer and human systems necessary to handle the stocking, bookkeeping, and general management, takes time. Amazon provides a system which small publishers can use to "self-publish" onto Amazon. B&N's equivalent, "PubIt!", will be coming online "this summer" according to B&N. Let's take a look at the publishers for your list:

• Oxford University Press: Life Itself, The Way of the Cell
  • Cambridge University Press: Origins of Life
  • Rutgers University Press: Emergence of Life on Earth
  • New Page Books: Cosmic Conversations
  • Springer: The Machinery of Life

These are all small, specialty publishers. One can hope that when PubIt! comes online, they'll make the effort to put their e-books onto B&N. We'll see.

The giant market for dedicated e-reader devices is for reading fiction and, to some extent, pop non-fiction (memoirs, etc.). The devices just don't have the display and control capabilities for much else: no color, poor rendition of photographs, inability to flip pages quickly, poor highlighting and note-taking, no real ability to render a page as originally printed, etc. For serious non-fiction, I'd go with a paper book. If an e-book was necessary, I'd use a notebook or netbook computer, or an iPad or similar. B&N isn't even trying to do textbooks on the NOOK; their NOOKstudy software is for notebooks and netbooks only.

Contributor
QuantumIvory
0 Kudos

Fair enough, Doug. It seems I should have done my homework a little better with respect to which eReader was better suited for my reading preferences. Mea Culpa.

Well, my wife seems tickled to death with my (now her?) Nook, so I suppose things worked out in the end.

Thanks for your informative response.