Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Rich_B
0 Kudos

Re: Thinking of returning Nook Color

Give it more time.

I read in bed before sleep. I always had problems with the book binding wanting to close or flip pages on me because I try to rest the book on my bed without holding it.  The nook is the perfect great solution.  Now I'm thinking about nook color and will give (maybe keep) nook classic to my wife or one of my sons.

cheers, ciao

Rich

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

Rich_B wrote:

I read in bed before sleep. I always had problems with the book binding wanting to close or flip pages on me because I try to rest the book on my bed without holding it.  The nook is the perfect great solution.  Now I'm thinking about nook color and will give (maybe keep) nook classic to my wife or one of my sons.

I could have written exactly what Rich wrote.  For some reason I've always been a lying on my back in bed reader, and I never liked "real" books much for that reason.  With the nook I read a lot more than I ever used to, and the few times recently I've read paper books I've really hated it.  I only do that when I get something from the local library that I can't get in ebook format or I don't want to pay for. 

New User
creatiVeronica
0 Kudos

When using the nook app on your laptop,  how do you turn on "night mode" ?   I can't figure it out...am I missing something?

New User
creatiVeronica
0 Kudos

I just realized that I didn't address my previous post to anyone, or say what I was referring to, so here goes...

to lisat96 (or anyone else who can help :smileyhappy: )

lisat96 said:

When I read on my phone or on a laptop, I just leave the app in night mode no matter what time of day it is. I've found that I can read a lot longer when I'm not looking at that white screen.

When using the nook app on your laptop,  how do you turn on "night mode" ?   I can't figure it out...am I missing something?

--Veronica

Contributor
VanillaBay
0 Kudos

All about room ... boy do I agree. I have two bookcases and lots and lots of books ... hardcovers, softcovers, paperbacks ... I have donated books, given away books, sold my paperbacks at a local bookseller shop and I still have some stacks on the floor ... more books than I can properly case.

I have wanted to try an ereader for a long time and saving space was one of the prime motivators. That and the ability to search ... I have Win7 and Office2007 and 2010 big, fat manuals with about 80 colored paperclips in 'em ... I know the red paperclip means security ... and the black paperclip means "don't do THAT thing there" ... I have tried installing books on the computer and searching that way ... but a dedicated ereader that can global search on my whole elibrary ... that is the ticket.

Also, I wanted to load .pdf's I have created with databases that I use in study and for work ... alas, my Classic Nook can't search my .pdf's. With my new NOOKcolor, I can sideload my Office files just as they are and at least be able to open and read them _and_ I am hoping to learn how to create searchable epubs in something called Calibre.

These ereaders are wonderful ... all my reading stuff in the size of one paperback ... cool.

Reader 2
Debbydoll
0 Kudos

I am just annoyed that the new color Nook is the same price as the original price for the original Nook! I would have waited for the color Nook if I had known!

Contributor
VanillaBay
0 Kudos

Most_Happy said she would 'turn pages while I had a paragraph or sentence at the bottom of the page.'

Had to smile at that ... I am doing that, too. With DT paperbacks, I have a long-standing habit of getting the paper page ready to turn before I finish reading the last little bit and on my new Nook Classic I was clicking to turn ahead of time ... my equivalent to 'getting the page ready to turn' ... funny to hear someone else did that, too.

I agree that we need non-staining 1) 'new hardcover' 2) 'new paperback' smell sprays for our Nook covers ... (g)

New User
JSki
0 Kudos

I sadly agree and I am about to return mine.  I think I would trade down to the older version.  The NOOKcolor is just too clumsy to hold.  It requires two hands to hold and turn a page.  When holding the NOOK for a while, the very narrow rim causes my fingers to cramp.  I have had problems where the pages begin flipping rapidly backwards, I think because my fingers went past the edge of the rim.  I also find the 5 hour battery time too limiting.  I have read 5 books on the NOOK so far and enjoy using the device as long as it is propped up on a stand.  It also helps if  it is plugged into the wall outlet.  The idea is great but the design lacks something for us humans like a wider grip and placing the cord on the side where it won't bend when charging and reading simultaneously.  Until then the older version looks better for me.

Reader 2
ribbit32004
0 Kudos

I just bought my NC two days ago, and it's my first e-reader.  I really struggled with deciding which ereader to buy (obsessed, really) and think I made a good decision.  I've dimmed it all the way, changed the screen to grey and if I tilt it back just a bit, there's no strain on my eyes, they don't constantly refocus, and it's very easy to read. Not quite as good as eink, but better than I was anticipating. I can see myself quickly getting addicted.

However...

Battery life is very short and I'm already recharging right now which is irritating since I'm in the middle of a book that's got me very engaged.

It's pretty heavy (in comparison to a paperback), but rest your arm on something and you're fine, although the center of my palm is a bit sore from proping the corner of the device on it, but it will pass, I'm sure.

I do wish there was something to cover the charging port while it's not in use.  I'm worried about it getting damaged.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@ribbett.

Get a cover...that protects the charging port.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@JSKI...

Get a leather cover- They make it easier to hold, and will reduce the finger cramping. B&N has a three-way easel cover (for propping and not holding) you may like. I have the leather author's cover which is wonderful; when I'm sitting on the couch or in bed,  I just rest the Nookcolor on a pillow on my lap. Works great.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Frequent Contributor
Mr_Gone

i defintely understand the sentiment

I am of the digital age... Im all about powerpoints, webpages, blogs. Ive been reading all my comics/manga off of my monitor. All my lectures are e-mailed  to us in the forms of PDFs. 

I have been looking into getting an IPAD, but not for that PRICE!!!! why not just buy a new PC?. My GF has a NOOK, but I couldnt get passed the black and white of it all (cool device though)

I feel like the Nook Color was designed with me in mind

Contributor
allyoucanread
0 Kudos

I have had the nook for a couple of hours now.

Some observations -

- Feels a little heavy when used for a prolonged period of time (> 1hr)

- Browser is decent, complex webpages choke

- Was disappointed that I could not read the NY Times which my local library gives me access to.

I believe NYTimes that my library provides is through www.newsstand.com. If there was a way to install the newsstand.com viewer, think it's called "iBrowse" that would be fantastic.

- Cannot seem to view youtube, NC just freezes with a "loading youtube.com" message...

- powerpoint renders pretty well, slides with animations load the final stage.

- PDF's seem to have a search.... does anyone know how I can get the 'find' functionality in Adobe acrobat reader.... When I search for a term I am looking for hyperlinked results of the page hits.

Does this functionality exist ??

- pandora works, weak onboard speakers

- data entry into web form fields such as id,password text boxes are sometimes very painful.

It seems to take numerous touches into a text box to get data entry going. It helps a little that a green border appears around text boxes when they can accept data entry. Still very painful, hoping to see a firmware fix to this.

- When the finger is not dry, if it is a little moist from room humidity (NOT wet !), the finger flick motions feel a little rubbery.

- Personally for me the screen is a tad bright even at minimum brightness setting. I hope a future firmware update will let us dim the screen lower. I haven't tried the sepia background someone suggested on this forum.

- It looks like getting videos to work might be a major deal, so far my research is indicating resolution and aspect ratio settings need to be right for video to work. Plus it has just one supported video format. Hoping a future firmware upgrade will fix this and also allow flash.

- Will try it for another week and decide if I have to keep it, I can always return and buy later if things improve in the future.... Agree ?

If I decide to keep it ....I hope it does not go the way of my $200 HD-DVD player, meaning hope it doesn't get Blu-Rayed by the Kindle.

Thanks,

AllYouCanRead.

Contributor
onecoolbarbie

I am an avid reader and many years ago I started reading on my palm. Since Fictionwise is done my only alternative was to get a NOOK or Kindle. I chose NOOKcolor.

Having a light on my book, or Nook is not a good option as I have already read 2 books on my NOOKcolor. I do not understand anyone who says this is not a good option to read a book.

I can read my NOOKcolor, outside or at night. I do most of my reading at night so the NOOKcolor is perfect.

Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

I agree with you, I have no problem in any setting reading on my Nookcolor.  

And similar to what another user said, I'm a kid of the digital age, been using computers forever and my entire life is digital.  It does feel like this device was made for people like me.

Correspondent
mogulman

I have read the postings with great interest.  The way I figure it 20 years from now we will only be able to buy a printed book at great expense.  Colleges and high schools are already experimenting with eTextbooks.  Pretty soon middle schools and elementary schools will follow.  Cash strapped school districts will save billions of dollars.  In the not so distant future kids may never touch a printed book.  There are some excellent sites supporting free online education material:

http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

Just for fun I downloaded some math textbooks to review.  They were very well done.  My, how things change.

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

mogulman wrote:

I have read the postings with great interest.  The way I figure it 20 years from now we will only be able to buy a printed book at great expense.  Colleges and high schools are already experimenting with eTextbooks.  Pretty soon middle schools and elementary schools will follow.  Cash strapped school districts will save billions of dollars.  In the not so distant future kids may never touch a printed book.  There are some excellent sites supporting free online education material:

http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

Just for fun I downloaded some math textbooks to review.  They were very well done.  My, how things change.

Thanks for the link! Good stuff.

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

Contributor
highpowermom

creatiVeronica, to turn on "night mode":

While in your book, tap the screen to bring up the reading preferences (blue menu across the bottom of the screen).  Select "text", which pops up a dialog box.  The first line is text size; the second line is font; the third line is "theme"; and the fourth line is line spacing and margins.  You want to change the "theme" to "Night".  The theme is also where you change to different background colors, but so far as I can tell you can only use the preset choices.  They showed me at the store or I probably would never have figured it out. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
highpowermom

Like a couple of previous posters in this discussion, I have physical limitations so I only have one hand available to hold a book.  I do most of my reading at night, either sitting at my son's bedside or lying in bed when hubby has gone to sleep.  Managing a book and a booklight one-handed can be very frustrating!  I started reading on my Palm pilot years ago and have been wishing for a larger screen solution ever since.  I read somewhat succesfully on a Gateway tablet as my all-purpose computer for a while, but as a book reader it was just too big to handle easily. 

I waited a long time to try an ebook reader because of the way I use my books.  Besides the one-handed night reading, I write in them, annotations and short journaling.  I was pleased to learn that I could do this with the Nook original and *almost* asked for one for my birthday last month, but hesitated because I needed the backlight.  So glad I waited!

The Nook color slips perfectly into the flat interior pocket of my most-used handbag, and I love that I can have my choice of reading material (and my knitting patterns as .pdfs) with me anytime I get caught in a long line or waiting room.  It's also much easier to show off my "brag book" photos on the Nook than on my iPhone.

I agree with the user who wished for a dimmer setting.  The only wish I have left for most ebook devices is the ability to link passages and notes within the book and maybe even between books.  It's just the way I think and study.  Oh, and a simple "notepad" app would be very handy.  But this is good enough for now. :smileyhappy:

Incidentally, the book light I had the most success handling one-handed and recommended to everyone was the Lightwedge.