Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

This Is Not Acceptable

[ Edited ]

Put my N2E on a 3-hour charge last Wednesday, and as of last night it still held an approximate charge of around 48%. We went to see the new Harry Potter movie today, and when we got home I decided to do a little reading before dinner. I pressed the "n" symbol and the N2E didn't wake up. Tried it several more times and still nothing. Finally I thought, ok, I'll power it completely off and start from scratch. Couldn't even get it to turn off from the nature screen saver.

Not knowing what else to do, I put it on the charger. After about 5 minutes I got a screen informing me that the N2E battery was so low it couldn't turn itself on, and to wait 15 minutes. I set a timer for 3 hours and, with just about 2 hours left to go, I'm now seeing the screen where I swipe my finger to the right to unlock the reader.

This is not what I bargained for when I bought the N2E. If this situation is due to a batch of defective batteries fine, but if it's something else, something that a software "update" would remedy, then B&N really needs to get this taken care of asap. I should have bought this at WM, at least there they would have exchanged it without a lot of red tape (and for another brand new N2E, no less). If B&N hassles me over an exchange, it's the last Nook I will buy directly from them. There are too many other places to buy the Nook now, to have to fiddle with the B&N exchange policy which, imho, was clearly slanted in their favor from the get-go. :smileymad:

Correspondent
Rose_Bee

Re: This Is Not Acceptable

Have you even tried talking to Customer Service, or going to a store, for an exchange?

You've made rather negative post for someone who hasn't even been told "no exchange" yet!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

Lopaka, I am sorry you are having these issues.  I would take it in to the store and see if they will exchange it.  Mine does not do this and yours shouldn't either.

Contributor
curtispfs

It is a lot of negativity for not having asked yet, but at the same time, the OP must know B&N practices.  As a customer who dealt with the exact same situation earlier today that the OP described as the likely scenerio, I can tell you, they are dead on.

I wish I had bought my nook somewhere other than B&N, because their customer service for replacing a device is a joke. 

I detailed my delightful encounter with B&N customer service in and earlier thread - http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Device-Issue-N2-Screen-Frozen/m-p/110... - so I won't rehash here, but these people need to do something about the way they alienate and mistreat their customers.  

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

Rose_Bee wrote:

Have you even tried talking to Customer Service, or going to a store, for an exchange?

You've made rather negative post for someone who hasn't even been told "no exchange" yet!

I have tried talking to B&N "Customer Service" on numerous occasions (twice regarding the N2E), and I have found them to be, by turns, polite/rude/completely clueless (or all three during a single call session). It all depends on who I get on the phone. As for my post being "negative," I did indeed run this situation by the guy who sold me my N2E recently and he's changed his tune since 17 June, when I bought this Nook from him. I was verbally assured by him that the store would indeed do an even exchange on-site if necessary, especially since I was buying an extended warranty along with my N2E. Now he talks about sending my Nook in and my getting a refurb back in exchange. Maybe he was misinformed himself, but working there that's his problem, not mine.

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

Lopaka, I am sorry you are having these issues.  I would take it in to the store and see if they will exchange it.  Mine does not do this and yours shouldn't either.

Thank you, Nallia, I truly appreciate the sentiment. :smileyhappy: I just took my N2E off charge, now I'm going to monitor my reader carefully and see how it does this time. If the battery in my N2E persists in causing me problems, I am going back to the B&N where I purchased my Nook and will be speaking to the store manager personally. Hopefully, at that time, he would choose to honor the word of his employee who sold me my reader and the extended warranty and do an even exchange right there at the store. If I were in his position I know that's certainly what I would do.

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

curtispfs wrote:

It is a lot of negativity for not having asked yet, but at the same time, the OP must know B&N practices.  As a customer who dealt with the exact same situation earlier today that the OP described as the likely scenerio, I can tell you, they are dead on.

I wish I had bought my nook somewhere other than B&N, because their customer service for replacing a device is a joke. 

I detailed my delightful encounter with B&N customer service in and earlier thread - http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Device-Issue-N2-Screen-Frozen/m-p/110... - so I won't rehash here, but these people need to do something about the way they alienate and mistreat their customers.  

After reading your post in the link about what happened to you, I'm beginning to think the problems are indeed system-wide with B&N "Customer Service." What is so hard for B&N to understand, that if they ever expect to eat the Kindle's "breakfast, lunch and dinner" (so to speak) then B&N has got to get with the program and do whatever's necessary to achieve their goal of e-reader dominance in the marketplace. Their existing business model for how they deal with/treat their customers on a daily basis is badly in need of a complete top-to-bottom overhaul, period. :smileymad:

Inspired Contributor
MrTwyst
0 Kudos

I had the same issue. I initially dealt with online customer service, and the guy was no help.

So, I tried the nearest B&N store, and the person who helped me was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. He helped me right away and provided me with an exchange... no hassle.

New User
Jared25
0 Kudos

All New Nook .. I just called them up because i bought mine from BN website.  mine lasted 6 weeks no problem.  then i just finished charging it the second time friday didnt use it at all, put it to sleep, and now five days later is at 44 percent. They are doing an exchange where they ship one then after i get it i ship them mine.  thats the best they could do they wouldnt even let me buy an extended waranty because i have had it for more than 30 days .. the All New Nook

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

I walked into a B&N store I bought it from - I explained my nook had problems - they offered to exchange it right there.

Whole process took about 15 minutes.

It sounds like, if you have the choice, exchange at a store instead of using the phone.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

The OP's experience is 180 degrees from mine.  I went into a local B&N store yesterday with two issues:  my Nook Color was spontaneously resetting to factory settings every couple of weeks and my Nook Simple Touch was no longer connecting to Wifi in the store.

The Nook guru in the store offered to replace my NC with a new one almost immediately.  Not only did he replace it with one off the shelves still in plastic wrap, he watched as I registered it to make sure it was working properly and downloading my purchased content then deregistered and erased my old NC in front of me so I knew none of my personal information was being retained.  The NST was even easier -- he did a full reboot and it started connecting to the Wifi again.

I went three weeks on a single charge on my NST, only recharging it at 30% or so because I was connecting to my laptop to sideload some screensavers and books from sources other than B&N.  I DID turn off Wifi on it except once or twice a day to refresh the subscriptions but that's it -- and I was probably using it to read about 60-90 minutes a day during that period.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Contributor
curtispfs
0 Kudos

The policies for exchanges are different when it comes to the Color and the ST. 

I was told yesterday that they can exchange Colors in store.  They're supposed to exhange with a refurb, but some folks get lucky and get a new unit. 

As far as STs go, they can make an effort to fix the machine, but if it is unresponsive and it is determined that it needs to be replaced, they are supposed to have it done through the mail with tech support.  If you ask tech support to speak to a supervisor, the supervisor can approve an in-store exchange, but the store manager has the right to refuse that. 

In my case, the store manager not only refused to make the exchange, he insisted that the tech support rep was mistaken in the policy they were quoting.  Further calls to tech support later in the day - I spoke to 3 reps and 1 supervisor and each of them confirmed that an in-store manager can replace the ST if he/she wants to, but can refuse.  Why would they refuse to make a customer happy?  I have no idea, but they can. 

I think the posters in this thread have uncovered the whole problem with BN customer service - there is no consistancy and there is no policy in place to protect/aid the customer.  It's a ridiculous business practice to have asking for in-store help be a crapshoot. 

I have 3-5 business days to rant and be upset instead of enjoying a book on my Nook, so I hope that I can inform enough people of these policies that BN will see how asinine it is. 

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47

[ Edited ]

UPDATE: In complete fairness to B&N, this is what happened to me today. After taking a deep breath, I called the B&N store where I bought my new N2E last month. Spoke directly to the store manager this time, and she was both courteous and understanding as to my plight. I calmly explained my situation to her. I also explained that while I understood about the B&N exchange-refurb policy, I would prefer to have my purchase completely removed from my CC rather than take the risk of getting a refurb which might also turn out to be unsatisfactory.

You can imagine my surprise, when she told me to bring my N2E into the store and they would give me a brand-new, factory-sealed N2E in exchange! :smileyvery-happy: She went on to say that the stock of N2E readers they have on hands right now are all from a very recent production run, so my chances of receiving yet another Simple Touch tablet with a defective battery would be just about nil. She also mentioned that she was well aware of the battery problems that have arisen from the early production runs of the new N2E, so much so that she had already approved of several other even exchanges prior to helping me today with mine.

So, problem solved. Thank you, B&N, and thanks also for having the good sense to hire people like this lady. She does your company proud! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

Glad to see this worked out for you!

- Zach
Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

bilbravo wrote:

Glad to see this worked out for you!

Thanks, me too! :smileyhappy: I was thinking last night, I recharged this N2E on Tuesday of this week and it's already dropped down to a 57% charge left. At the rate this tablet is losing steam I will probably have to recharge it again so B&N will be able to unregister it next week. I'm not sure if they can decommission it in-store while the N2E is plugged in and charging, forgot to ask yesterday. 

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

lopaka47 wrote:

UPDATE: In complete fairness to B&N, this is what happened to me today. After taking a deep breath, I called the B&N store where I bought my new N2E last month. Spoke directly to the store manager this time, and she was both courteous and understanding as to my plight. I calmly explained my situation to her. I also explained that while I understood about the B&N exchange-refurb policy, I would prefer to have my purchase completely removed from my CC rather than take the risk of getting a refurb which might also turn out to be unsatisfactory.

You can imagine my surprise, when she told me to bring my N2E into the store and they would give me a brand-new, factory-sealed N2E in exchange! :smileyvery-happy: She went on to say that the stock of N2E readers they have on hands right now are all from a very recent production run, so my chances of receiving yet another Simple Touch tablet with a defective battery would be just about nil. She also mentioned that she was well aware of the battery problems that have arisen from the early production runs of the new N2E, so much so that she had already approved of several other even exchanges prior to helping me today with mine.

So, problem solved. Thank you, B&N, and thanks also for having the good sense to hire people like this lady. She does your company proud! :smileyhappy:

I wish more people would do this, actually post back once the situation is resolved. I have a feeling many posting here with issues and complaints end up with a completely satisfactory result, but never report it. 

Congratulations on your NEW N2E!

LisaB

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

lopaka47 wrote:

I wish more people would do this, actually post back once the situation is resolved. I have a feeling many posting here with issues and complaints end up with a completely satisfactory result, but never report it. 

Congratulations on your NEW N2E!

LisaB

You are so right LisaB. People (NOT OP) love to get on here and complain, but never come back here to post when there has been a positve outcome.

OP, I'm glad it worked out for you. I had a very similar experience with my N2E, and I ended up dealing with a manager who not only exchanged my N2E on the spot but also gave me a new pack of screen protectors since I had already put one on the returned N2E.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB

msmoonlite wrote:

You are so right LisaB. People (NOT OP) love to get on here and complain, but never come back here to post when there has been a positve outcome.

OP, I'm glad it worked out for you. I had a very similar experience with my N2E, and I ended up dealing with a manager who not only exchanged my N2E on the spot but also gave me a new pack of screen protectors since I had already put one on the returned N2E.

What I always am interested in knowing is how many people coming on with things that "don't work, this NOOK is a piece of junk" type of emails, as opposed to some sort of physical breakdown later realize it was a RTFM/user error issue and never show their faces again. :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks to the OP and others who let us know how it all turns out, good or bad. 

LisaB

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Too bad we can't change the thread title to "This is entirely Acceptable" to reflect the BN stepped up to the plate with in-sore customer service.

Contributor
curtispfs
0 Kudos

I was inspired by this thread to attempt to rectify the situation with my frozen Nook2 again.  I detailed my situation earlier in the thread, and I was denied an exchange by a BN store manager on Tuesday. 

Today I decided to try another physical location, since this thread showed that some of the store managers are willing to exchange defective devices on the spot.  No dice again.   I've been nookless since Monday, and the replacement unit from BN tech support still hasn't shipped (ordered at 5pm on Tuesday - it is 2pm on Thursday now). 

I agree that it's nice that the OP followed up with a postive experience to let us know sometimes it does happen, however, I'm beginning to think the positive experiences are not the norm.