Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

Re: Drowned NOOK

Doug_Pardee wrote:

luny2ns wrote:

Still got water in the case and now my nook is frozen. I took the battery out several times but it is still not cycling on.

The standard approach to this is to remove the battery and place the unit into a sealed "baggie" filled with dry rice for about a day. The rice will absorb the water. Nothing's guaranteed, but a lot of people have had success reviving electronics that have been dunked in non-salt water using this technique.

I had a mishap with my daughter a couple years ago.  She dropped a brand new cellular phone in the toilet.  After paper toweling it dry and wiping the outside with a clorox wipe, I took the back off, removed the battery and put it in a bowl of dry white rice.  It took about a week to come back to normal.  We still use the phone as our home phone.  So good luck!  This may work for you. 

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns
0 Kudos

Re: Drowned NOOK

Doug, thank you for the suggestion.  I have had it in a tupperware container of rice and also used a hairdryer on cool setting.  It just had some drops on it, not much water.  I put in a new battery, charged it, and it comes up to the color screen coming up on the bottom but it freezes up and the icons do not work. I am getting a warning:

Sorry

Application Android keyboard (in process com.and android.inputmethod.latin) is not responding.

I have taken it out of the container and zipped it in a bag with rice.  I will give it try.  I hope it works.  Thank you again.  I miss you taking care of the free book blog.  You did a great job!

Contributor
Reader1SD
0 Kudos

Re: Three Nooks later, who is still using their N1E?

I use mine everyday!  I was thinking of upgrading, but the other Nooks do not have the 3G. It is very nice to be able to search and download ANYWHERE , the others will not do that .

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Received it in November of 2010, use mine nearly every day. WiFi only, never felt like I should have gotten the 3G. I have hundreds of books on it (purchased, freebies and file sharing from family and friends) so am never at a loss. My biggest problem when I finish a book is figuring out WHICH ONE to read next.

Like others, I really enjoy it for vacation. Can read in the car, on the beach, etc without sunlight being a problem. Not the slightest bit tempted by NOOK Color or NOOK Tablet, though seriously think if/when this one finally goes the Glow looks like a great idea. I do use a book light for reading in bed or bad lighting. I don't find it a real problem, but the Glow is a great idea. 

I think the battery life on mine may be getting a  little shorter, but nothing inconvenient. To the poster who dropped in the pool and others, I love my Trendy Digital waterproof case. Yes, ithas saved mine from water damage, and I like it on the beach to protect from sand as well. That said, I have a Square Trade warranty in case something DOES happen!

I AM playing with the idea of a tablet, separate from the regular book reading issue, but the idea of these "sort of" tabs (Kindle Fire, NOOK Tab) never really grabbed me. I wouldn't mind a tablet for magazines and other entertainment. If I get a tablet, I'll just get a full on Android Tab. For pure book reading, my nearly 2 year old N1E is just what I need!

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

I got mind in 2010 and I still use it all the time.  It works great, the battery life is still great, and I love that mine still has the 3g access.  I have considered getting a newer model, but mine still works so I'll wait until the N1E dies and then make my new purchase.

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Reader
RavenaierKP
0 Kudos

Got mine in Feb 2011 and am still using it almost every day. Just wondering now how many books it can hold with the original memory?

Correspondent
barry2B
0 Kudos

Ravenaier wrote:

Got mine in Feb 2011 and am still using it almost every day. Just wondering now how many books it can hold with the original memory?

If I remember correctly it holds around 600 books without the SD card.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Ravenaier wrote:

Mine is just over 500 books and shows 49% internal memory available. . 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

My wife just informed me that she is going back to the N1E (at least for the summer) since her iPad is too heavy and hard to read at the pool.

She says what she really wants is a NOOK ST with Glow. I tell her to just go to B&N and buy one, but she refuses to as long as the N1E keeps working.

Reader
DebsieDoo72

I so agree. Who needs a new edition NOOK? I love my N1E
Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

I got mine in 2010, too, and use it EVERY day.  I've thought about getting the latest Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, but...I just am so used to the original!  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
altreco

I got my N1E two years ago this past May. It has the 3G and WiFi. I never use the 3G but I use the WiFi connection all the time. I know that in this day and age single function tools are oh so 2009, but I fell in love with an e-ink reader that carries all my books, is easy to use and is not hard on my aging eyes. When I open a book I'm not distracted by angry birds, farmville, facebook, email, or any other nonsense of the modern day world. It's just me and my books.

I can pretend to be Burgess Meredith...only I always have an extra pair of readers in my pocket!

Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

I still use my N1E for most of my reading, although I do have a second hand nook color - that I mostly use for netflix and comic books/magazine reading. I've found I like the eink screen better than the LCD for reading, and don't see the point of getting the nook with glow screen just yet when my original nook is still going strong.

Contributor
sophieFL
0 Kudos

Got my N1E in January 2010. It's the only nook I have and I read it every day.  Love it.  Will replace it when it dies. Have not had any problems with it. 

Inspired Correspondent
moony3424
0 Kudos

I love mine. I figure, if it ain't broken, why bother. The only one that I've been considering (but prob won't get until I need new one) is glow, cause I sometimes wake up & don't want to turn on the light.
Frequent Contributor
hollygNJ
0 Kudos

I bought a simple touch to take to rehab with me (new knee) and I've fallen in love with the touch screen and the smaller, lighter size. I read a couple books of the N1E this week, and it seems so clunky next to the baby nook.

And after 2 1/2 years, I'm getting a lot less  battery life on the N1E. She'll always be my backup, but I think she's going to live in the drawer.

Distinguished Correspondent
taltosPT
0 Kudos

I bought the First Edition after having my Color NOOK for about a year. I find that the screen is much easier to read in bright sunlight than the Color. I use both every day and love both of them.

Frequent Contributor
Deb-MI
0 Kudos

I use mine every day!  Just bought my daughter the NST and thought that I might be tempted to get a new one, but nope :smileyhappy:  Still very happy with my N1E.

Reader 4
sawbuckthegray

Still use it as my main reading device.  I have the PC app that I use when I have an eBook map that needs just a bit more magnification or when I'm charging the Nook from the wall. However, I'm hooked on my N1E and have had it for over 2 years - with one warrantee replacement during the first year.. My daughter has moved on to a Nook tablet from the N1E I gave her prior to getting mine and although I would like a faster web device I've avoided migrating to color or the tablet....but I'm weakening. I've no idea how many books I have in my library but it is quite a few. I also have side loaded some free classics and/or reference books into the SD. In addition, My local Library has 14-day loaners that I sideload when I'd like to read something but not necessarily own it.

In all, it is all I need in a reader, for now. The tablet features do beckon..... 

Contributor
keahi_luna
0 Kudos

I was still using my Betty but then her screen went out. Bummer. But 16 days shy of the 2 year extended warranty that I purchased, I got the new Nook Simple Touch w/ GlowLight. I miss my bottom color screen. =( But so far so good with new Betty. :catvery-happy: