Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

Tips for Taming the My Documents Folder on the nook

[ Edited ]

I have a lot of e-books from Fictionwise, Baen, etc. However, I sideloaded so many that scrolling through "My Documents" on the nook took too long. Here are my tips for taming/wrangling of the My Documents folder.

1) Download and use Calibre. It won't always let you adjust the metadata for DRM books, but in most cases, I have been able to fix the last names so that they appear in the correct place.Also, learn how to work between your file management program and Calibre so that you can delete files from the nook once you decide you don't want them on there right now.

2) Don't put every dang-nabbed e-book you own on your nook. This is my particular bad habit. :robottongue:I finally had to be honest with myself. I might want to read that book, but maybe I don't want to read it now.

3) Learn to use Calibre to fool the nook. If you tend to organize the My Documents folder by author last name, but you just added a book by Roger Zelazny, fool the nook into putting the book at the top of the list by adding special characters at the beginnin of the last name. For example, the surnames of the authors of the four books I bought last night now start with three asterisks to push them at the top of the list, and the surnames of the Baen books I want to read soon start with a couple of underscores. This really does work! I haven't experimented with how it alphabetizes all the special characters, but it's a lot easier to manage.

Edited to add: Using a single underscore doens't seem to work, so I recommend using at least two or more underscore symbols at the beginning of a surname. I haven't experimented with ampersands and number signs yet. :smileywink:

Any other tips?

P.S. I've heard that if you've hacked your nook, you can have better control over the My Documents folder (I think depending on the software you install). I'm not quite ready to hack my nook (which sounds either naughty or like a horrible cough anyway :smileywink:), but I'd like to know if it would help wrangle a My Documents folder.

Edited to add: See below -- this idea doesn't sound doable for the average user.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Re: Tips for Taming the My Documents Folder on the nook

Critteranne, there's a current thread about nooks being bricked when trying to go back to 1.0.  You do know that you're risking your warranty if you do it, even if it does help w/ file organization? 

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gqb wrote:

Critteranne, there's a current thread about nooks being bricked when trying to go back to 1.0.  You do know that you're risking your warranty if you do it, even if it does help w/ file organization? 

Yes, that's why I don't really want to do it. I like my nook and don't want it to die. :smileyhappy:

Popular Science has an article on hacking your nook, which is available for free on-line at this link.. They warn that it voids the warranty but don't mention nooks being bricked. I'll look for that thread and post it in their comments section.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

You had me until the "hack your nook" part.

But the other hints sound helpful. I've been on the fence about downloading Calibre. At this point I have so few sideloaded books (72) it's not really an issue. And some of those are coming off next time I do a My Docs backup/cleanup because I've gotten the B&N Classic version of it with the recent promotion.

The thing that may finally get me is ability to edit the tags so that titles/authors/etc. appear correctly. No more dealing with "Unknown Author" or some authors appearing in an "Last Name, First Name" format and others in a regular FN LN, even though they are all alphabetized together.

But your tips should help with the whole "getting to the books I want quickly" problem. At least until they program a search by title and/or author into My Documents library. Or cover flow. Or both. :smileyhappy:

ABthree
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

But the other hints sound helpful. I've been on the fence about downloading Calibre. At this point I have so few sideloaded books (72) it's not really an issue. And some of those are coming off next time I do a My Docs backup/cleanup because I've gotten the B&N Classic version of it with the recent promotion.

The thing that may finally get me is ability to edit the tags so that titles/authors/etc. appear correctly. No more dealing with "Unknown Author" or some authors appearing in an "Last Name, First Name" format and others in a regular FN LN, even though they are all alphabetized together.

Like you, I don't mind leafing through My Documents.  But go ahead and get Calibre -- it's a real boon.

That "Unknown Author" thing is a pain, and Calibre fixes it in a snap.  Ditto bad titles from public domain sites, and the other metadata foibles you mention.

In addtion, Calibre's conversion facility gives you access to some formats that Nook doesn't support, which can come in very handy if a book you want is free, but only exists in .lrf form, for example.

And if you don't like it, you can always uninstall. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

Critteranne wrote:

2) Don't put every dang-nabbed e-book you own on your nook. This is my particular bad habit. :robottongue:I finally had to be honest with myself. I might want to read that book, but maybe I don't want to read it now.

While it might make it easier to find books on your Nook this way, it is not a long term solution.  One of the reasons I bought a Nook was because it could hold so many books.  I liked the idea of having a huge library with me at all times that I could easily access and sort through to find something that fit my mood at the time.  Had I known it would be so non-user friendly when it came to accessing those books I may have thought twice.  

This is a huge shortcoming in the software that every single one of us knows about and if B&N doesn't fix it in the next patch I will probably take my business elsewhere.   It is one thing to not see this as being a problem at the start (although they should have), it is another to be about 9 months later and have no doubt that it is a problem (plenty of threads on these forums about it) and continue to snub your nose at providing a fix.  They have had ample time to fix this problem and so far they've done nothing about it.  

I may be just one customer, but they will have lost me if this isn't fixed soon.  What good is having all that drive space if you can't find anything on it easily?

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Frequent Contributor
Brucester

Ozman69 wrote:

Critteranne wrote:

While it might make it easier to find books on your Nook this way, it is not a long term solution.  One of the reasons I bought a Nook was because it could hold so many books.  I liked the idea of having a huge library with me at all times that I could easily access and sort through to find something that fit my mood at the time.  Had I known it would be so non-user friendly when it came to accessing those books I may have thought twice.  

This is a huge shortcoming in the software that every single one of us knows about and if B&N doesn't fix it in the next patch I will probably take my business elsewhere.   It is one thing to not see this as being a problem at the start (although they should have), it is another to be about 9 months later and have no doubt that it is a problem (plenty of threads on these forums about it) and continue to snub your nose at providing a fix.  They have had ample time to fix this problem and so far they've done nothing about it.  

I may be just one customer, but they will have lost me if this isn't fixed soon.  What good is having all that drive space if you can't find anything on it easily?

Very true! I have hundreds of military technical and field manuals in pdf format that I will eventually be loading onto my Nook, thanks to an 8gb SD card, as well asa a few thousand other titles of various types in both pdf and ASCII text format that Nook CANNOT read. Yes - I can convert them to pdf format thanks to OpenOffice, but who has the time? I'm retired and still can't manage that.

One of the reasons I bougfht Nooks for myself and my son is so we could have ANY of our favorite books or articles handy at any time we might want them. Why buy a $200 Nook just to keep a book or 2 on it? They advertise an average of 1500 ebooks with the systems internal memory - why have that much available if it's only intended to keep a few books at a time?

Contributor
GhostWhoWalks
0 Kudos

Brucester - Right on man!  I have an 8 gig card in my nook.  I want to keep all of my books on the nook.  Expandablity is the MAIN reason I choose the nook.  Now I would like a way to find my books with authors at the end of the alphabet!

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

@Ozman69

...They have had ample time to fix this problem and so far they've done nothing about it.  

Couldn't agree more!   :smileymad:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Contributor
hrosvit
0 Kudos

I agree with the previous posters.  If the solution is "just don't put so many books on your Nook", then they should have just built it with 64Mb of internal memory, and no expansion capabilities.  I have a 16Gb card in mine, and intend to load it full of every book I can lay my hands on.  I don't understand the value of having a device that can store thousands of books, but only keeping ten or fifteen on it, because the obtuse filing system makes them difficult (or tedious) to locate.

I have about 250 books in My Documents, and, honestly, most of them are books I have already read.  I re-read my favorite authors constantly.  I also travel for business a good deal, and this was one of the main reasons I bought the Nook.  I was tired of loading my luggage with 4 or 5 books, and God forbid I get delayed somewhere and only have two books in my carry-on.  Now I can choose from my entire library if I get stuck somewhere.  And, honestly, sometimes something will call to mind a passage or chapter from a favorite frequently read book, and I'll take it off the shelf (or call it up on the Nook) and sit down and re-read just that chapter and then put it away.  That is what makes the Nook such a joy; I can do this whenever and wherever I want. 

I am giving the geeks at B&N the benefit of the doubt right now, because this is the only firmware I've experienced during my ownership.  But they obviously know about the desire of the Nook community to have folders in My Documents (every third thread on every message board is about folders, for crying out loud, and I'm sure a lot of owners, like me, have sent B&N personal e-mails regarding this subject); if they don't correct it next time, I will lose a lot of faith in their capabilities or willingness to respond to consumer demand.  And we all vote with our dollars...

"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling."
Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

I've got about 3500 ebooks in my My Documents folder on my 8GB microSDHC card, and it's only about half full.  Over half of them were purchased at Fictionwise, a B&N subsidiary.  The B&N library app is worthless for me, because I am not going to go through 350 pages to find my books.  Unfortunately, not even the softrooted library app will help, because it ran out of memory after about 3,000 or so books (which is too bad, because it supported title, author, and keyword search).  The only way I can read my books now is using the softroot file browser, but even that's a pain because I still need to go through a (smaller) number of pages in the lcd screen to get to the author.

B&N really needs to improve the library app, and that includes fixing it so that My Documents are not second class citizens, barely supported.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

@hrosvit

Agreed. Unfortunately, the entirely artificial distinction between B&N docs and my docs (that has persisted over 3 firmware update cycles) shows that it's less a matter of coding than some genius (in corporate no doubt :smileytongue:) coming with a "brilliant plan" to "encourage" customers to buy ebooks from B&N. Speculation on my part but it stands to reason because you actually have to disable functionality in my docs to prevent search and other features available in the B&N library. Think Microsoft office (premium, home, student, etc.)

This tells me that it's not a programming problem but a "strategic" one and is unlikely to be solved (unless they actually make a policy change). And no, I don't think I'm being cynical here, just depressingly logical.

If I wanted to be cynical, I'd go further and say that the book organization features on the nook (and to be perfectly fair, the Kindle sucks equally in this regard) are a throwback to ereaders from a decade ago and will take a long time to reach the minimum workable level. But I won't do that :smileyvery-happy:. I almost wish the Kindle was better in this regard as at least that would force the nook forward. *shrug* As it is, both companies appear to have moved on to next gen devices and I doubt that the 1st gen nook is going to see too much more development (I'll be ecstatic if I'm wrong of course). 

As for the "don't put so many books on it" solution, it's the analogue of the "don't use the buttons to navigate" solution for the cracked bezel problem and we've all seen how well that has gone over in the past. :smileyvery-happy:

The cake is a lie.
ABthree

aditya wrote:

@hrosvit

Agreed. Unfortunately, the entirely artificial distinction between B&N docs and my docs (that has persisted over 3 firmware update cycles) shows that it's less a matter of coding than some genius (in corporate no doubt :smileytongue:) coming with a "brilliant plan" to "encourage" customers to buy ebooks from B&N.

Not "entirely artificial".  B&N undertakes to keep the books you buy from them on file, to let you archive them off and bring them back onto your Nook, and to automatically replace a local file that becomes corrupted.

That's an added value that's part of the whole Nook value proposition.  If not impossible, would become an impractially complex service to offer if B&N and non-B&N content were commingled.

I understand wanting to have more functionality in My Documents.  What I don't understand is the level of resentment that some posters aim at B&N over it, as if they've cheated us out of something.  Several people here boast about how little money they've spent with B&N, and have no trouble reading their books.  My Documents works pretty well, all things considered. 

After all, B&N could have offered an eBook reader that only accommodated its own books -- it's been done before, and quite successfully.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
_Dominik
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

aditya wrote:

@hrosvit

Agreed. Unfortunately, the entirely artificial distinction between B&N docs and my docs (that has persisted over 3 firmware update cycles) shows that it's less a matter of coding than some genius (in corporate no doubt :smileytongue:) coming with a "brilliant plan" to "encourage" customers to buy ebooks from B&N.

Not "entirely artificial".  B&N undertakes to keep the books you buy from them on file, to let you archive them off and bring them back onto your Nook, and to automatically replace a local file that becomes corrupted.

aditya got a point. The nookdevsLibrary offers a combined view. It is possible without any problems, that's a matter of fact. It's just a decision, B&N made, not to combine both folders in the library view and to remove features in the my documents section

ABthree

@_Dominik

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

I'm sure you'll pardon me if I decline to accept what amounts to a hack as proof of anything, least of all bad intent on B&N's part. :smileytongue:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
hrosvit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ABthree wrote:

That's an added value that's part of the whole Nook value proposition.  If not impossible, would become an impractially complex service to offer if B&N and non-B&N content were commingled.

I understand wanting to have more functionality in My Documents.  What I don't understand is the level of resentment that some posters aim at B&N over it, as if they've cheated us out of something.  Several people here boast about how little money they've spent with B&N, and have no trouble reading their books.  My Documents works pretty well, all things considered. 

After all, B&N could have offered an eBook reader that only accommodated its own books -- it's been done before, and quite successfully.

I don't consider B&N's archiving of my purchases to be benefical or necessary.  In  my perfect world (good luck with that), e-books would be just like p-books: I would buy it, take it home and after that it is entirely my responsibility.  I don't expect a book store to replace a p-book that I have lost or damaged for whatever reason; why should I expect them to do the same with an e-book?  I am capable of archiving e-books on my own.  So, if they become corrupt or I drop my Nook in the hot tub, I am the one responsible for them.  I am an adult; I don't expect (or even want) B&N to do that for me.  If my choice is having a folder structure or having B&N babysit my e-books, I'll pick the folder structure every day, and twice on Sunday.  To me, that's roughly like saying, "Would you like an ice cream cone, or a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?"

In the same perfect world, I would do whatever I wished with that e-book (with the exception of illegal copying and distribution).  If I wanted to lend it to my mom for a month, and then my sister for three weeks, and then give it to my friend, I could do that.  When these other people had it, I would not, so it would be just like a p-book.  Oh, to live in Hrosvit World. 

With regards to the resentment, I think that some people view criticism of the Nook as a "betrayal".  There is another thread where people criticized a poster who complained about the music player on the Nook, saying that he or she shouldn't expect it to be a music player, and if he or she wants a good music player, he or she should buy an iPod.  Don't get me wrong; I love my Nook.  I have never regretted buying it, and, if I had the decision to make again at this exact moment, I would buy the same product.  But I have every right to offer my opinions on that product, and to request changes/(perceived) improvements to that product.  B&N, similarly, has every right to ignore my requests.  At which time I have every right to buy a different product from another company.  It's the joy of the (relatively) free market system.  Quite frankly, if we weren't going to complain about the Nook, the Nook forum would be remarkably boring.  "I love my Nook."  "Me, too."  "The Nook is the bomb."  (insert cricket noises)

And, quite frankly, an electronic device that is designed for holding thousands of files, but provides no organizational mechanism for these files is simply...I'm not even sure what the word is.

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

"But I have every right to offer my opinions on that product, and to request changes/(perceived) improvements to that product.  B&N, similarly, has every right to ignore my requests."

B&N have a great tool to gain insight into its customers' views (Voice of the Customer).  To improve you want to hear the good but must also hear the negative opinions and the wants.

We have a right to make ourselves heard to ensure the nook is the best it can be.   It is B&N's job to sift through all the information and decide what's best for their business and the majority of their intended market.

I don't know if B&N use software beta testers.  (as an experienced product development engineer, I'm volunteering!).  I suspect no actual "on the street" consumers, based on the product to-date.  So these forums are the second best thing!

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

And if that had been the case I would not have bought my two Nooks.  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
ABthree
0 Kudos

hrosvit wrote:

Don't get me wrong; I love my Nook.  I have never regretted buying it, and, if I had the decision to make again at this exact moment, I would buy the same product. 

And, quite frankly, an electronic device that is designed for holding thousands of files, but provides no organizational mechanism for these files is simply...I'm not even sure what the word is.

Interesting that you don't see the contradiction of those two statements.  I'm not feeling the love here.  :smileyhappy:

At any rate, the "resentment" I'm talking about is more a matter of tone than of content.  I understand the desire for more robust organiaztion tools.  So many Nook users have requested them that B&N must understand it, too.  I don't understand what B&N has done to deserve the level of anger and disdain that some posters heap on them.

And THAT is MY opinion. :smileytongue:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
hrosvit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There is no contradiction.  I am recognizing the Nook as the best available choice, while also stating that it has shortcomings.  If you can't do that, how would you ever make a choice when voting for a candidate?  I personally have never seen a candidate I am 100% in agreement with.  That doesn't mean I don't vote for anyone; I vote for the best person, and then hope the portions of his or her platform that don't coincide with my opinions will change.  Sometimes, I even try to assist in this change by sending a letter or calling - or, posting my disagreements on an internet forum.  The same is true of a consumer product.  I can't understand how you have a problem with me loving the nook, and also saying the file organizational scheme sucks.  I'm not threatening to firebomb B&N headquarters, or organize a boycott; I'm (very calmly and rationally, actually) discussing the shortcomings of the product.  I don't believe I have a single product at home that I am 100% satisfied with, mainly because none of them were designed with me, as a unique individual, in mind.  That's the real world.  That doesn't mean I have to say, "Oh, well; nothing I can do".   

Maybe we're not reading the same posts, but I haven't seen much of what I would consider anger or disdain (with the exception of the single-post trolls who tell about their horrible 20 minute experience with the nook).  But I do see a lot of people who are dissatisfied with one aspect or another.  But this is not unique to the nook forum; nor is it wrong.  Show me any forum or message board where the users don't voice various complaints about the subject matter.  And their expression of this dissatisfaction should not be seen as a threat to the continued existence of the nook.  It should be seen as assisting the evolution of the product.

I guess maybe our difference in opinion is based around the perceived tone of the people presenting these issues.  Interpreting tone in this type of forum is always difficult, at best.  I, personally, haven't seen much vitriol. 

I love my children more than anything, but that doesn't mean I don't have issues with the older one's insistence on trying to walk across the beam on the swingset or the younger one's love for attempting to climb the bookcases in the living room.  It also doesn't mean that I won't continue to try to modify this behavior with a little negative reinforcement :smileyhappy:.