Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Re: Tips for Taming the My Documents Folder on the nook

ABthree wrote:

Not "entirely artificial".  ....

You missed my point. The distinction between the feature sets for the two libraries is clearly artificial (that's what I elaborated on in gruesome detail in the rest of my post). I'm not one of the people who care about having a mixed library. It's just that the B&N library can do certain things (search, cover flow, etc.), the non-B&N library can't. Seems pretty obvious what the reason is. I don't see how you can explain that one away (again, considering that you actually have to make your coding team work more to remove features you already have).

The cake is a lie.
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@aditya

@hrosvit

Life's way too short to argue.  If being angry at B&N gives you pleasure, I wish you joy in it.

Me, I'm happy with my Nook, I believe that B&N means it when they say that they're interested in providing the best customer experience they know how, and I believe that Lincoln was right:  you can attract more bees with a drop of honey than with a gallon of gall. 

But I'm always open to evidence that gall is actually more effective.  Over and out. :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@aditya

@hrosvit

Life's way too short to argue.  If being angry at B&N gives you pleasure, I wish you joy in it.

Me, I'm happy with my Nook, I believe that B&N means it when they say that they're interested in providing the best customer experience they know how, and I believe that Lincoln was right:  you can attract more bees with a drop of honey than with a gallon of gall. 

But I'm always open to evidence that gall is actually more effective.  Over and out. :smileyhappy:

You can also attract and retain more nook customers with a well-done product than with a half-baked user interface

:smileywink:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@aditya

@hrosvit

Now I've seen everything! :smileyvery-happy: A pet peeve is hardly anger. Of course, I can't speak for the other person in your list but for me, this is simply the correct forum to bring these things up. It's simply not about loving or hating the nook or B&N. Whatever happened to objective judgments? :smileytongue: I guess I just have a fundamental problem (stems from The Fountainhead I think) with a beautiful construct being deliberately hobbled by mismanagement.

I find it amusing that so many of these threads start out with healthy and vigorous discussion and end with a post like yours (no offense) that seems to construe any argument about features as a global putdown of B&N (which is simply not true - for instance, I believe that B&N is clearly much more enlightened than Amazon for making the nook more open and accessible. There's no way I would even consider getting a Kindle). I only try to improve the things I actually like and see some hope for. If I didn't think B&N could deliver, I wouldn't be wasting my time on here (I'd be wasting it somewhere else :smileyvery-happy:).

As for life being too short to argue, you can find friendly arguments in most forms of social intercourse. Sports (and indeed entertainment of all kinds) would cease to exist without it :smileyvery-happy:. Just my opinion (see, I'm arguing again - silly me) but a life without some arguments would be like watching only sesame street all my life :smileyvery-happy:. I thought we were simply arguing a small point. C'est la vie and all that rot ... :smileywink:

The cake is a lie.
Frequent Contributor
Rex_Green
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

My Documents works pretty well, all things considered. 

:smileysurprised: ??? Let's see, My Documents gives you a list of your books, 10 at a time. Your choice for sorting is (1) Author, (2) Title, and (3) Sorry, Charlie. You can organize in folders, as long as you use a maximum of one. You can use the search feature: Click page-forward and eyeball 10 more titles, "searching" for the one you want, then repeat, up to 50 times on my nook, since I have 500 titles.

No, I'm with the others who say it's just weird that B&N hasn't improved this yet. And I say that with love because my nook is otherwise AWESOME!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
dave50
0 Kudos

Since 1.5 came out I believe Option 3 is now "Most Recent"? Very handy! And we can leverage the Shelves to facilitate rapid access to sideloaded content...

If (like me) you have thousands of books on your Nook, a directory list can be 3-400 pages - a major strain on the bezel buttons! You can ease the pain by creating an  "Index" shelf as a portal.

Create a new shelf (e.g. "Index") then select "Place on or remove from shelf" and scroll through your book list page-by-page (just this once!) adding titles from the middle of each alphabetic group as you go (rather than just the first title from each letter of the alphabet - this will minimize the average seek time as you scroll through the directory later). Note that you might want to add multiple entries under "T" if you have a lot of titles beginning with the word "The"...

You can then Go To your Index shelf at will (which automatically turns shelves on), back up one level and use the up/down arrows to quickly highlight the anchor title you wish to jump to, then just hit "Change View" -> "Hide Shelves". You'll find yourself sitting in a complete directory with the title you selected still at the cursor! A lot better than hitting the page forward button 200 times...

HTH,

Dave Huber