Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
KimmyInNewport
0 Kudos

Touch Screen unresponsive

[ Edited ]

I received my nook on Jan 14 after preordering it back in November. As I live in RI, the weather here is quite unpredictable, and sometime back in March, in between walking outdoors to the 15 deg weather from my cozy 75 deg house, I heard a lil "pop". Sure enough I looked at the Nook in my hand and there was a crack across the daily icon on the touch screen. It's an internal crack, and it's disabled the button and half of my ABC keys. I called CS, who rudely informed me that this would not be covered under any warranty. Anyone have a similar problem or solution???

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Touch Screen unresponsive

KimmyInNewport wrote:

I received my nook on Jan 14 after preordering it back in November. As I live in RI, the weather here is quite unpredictable, and sometime back in March, in between walking outdoors to the 15 deg weather from my cozy 75 deg house, I heard a lil "pop". Sure enough I looked at the Nook in my hand and there was a crack across the daily icon on the touch screen. It's an internal crack, and it's disabled the button and half of my ABC keys. I called CS, who rudely informed me that this would not be covered under any warranty. Anyone have a similar problem or solution???

I have absolutely nothing to do with Barnes and Noble other than I'm a customer.   Anything I say below is my opinion ONLY.

15 degrees to 75 degrees is within the range the manual says the nook may be stored.   If what you say happened, you walked in from the outside and the screen cracked, that'd be a defect.   I'd suggest you politely ask to speak with a supervisor.

Of course, since it's now June and this issue just seems to be coming up, I'd be curious why it took so long to report this possible defect.

---------
Don
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@KimmyInNewport

Sorry about your trouble.  :smileysad:

That damage should certainly be covered by the warranty.  I suspect that, being an honest person trying to tell the "whole story", in fact you overcommunicated and overloaded the CS person with too much confusing weather-related detail.  When any company's Customer Service people become confused, the default response all too often is "No".

I'd suggest calling again and sticking to the basics ("My 'Daily' button has a crack, it's internal, nothing hit it or fell on it, it doesn't work and I'm distraught.").  You were within the operating range of the Nook, so the weather report is irrelevant.  B&N Customer Service is usually very good, and I expect you'll be happier this time.

Please let us know how it goes.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@KimmyiInNewport,

Can you PM me with your Account email and a contact phone number so that we can reach out to you...?

Your Admin.,

Michael-V