New User
SDorrity
0 Kudos

Trade-In/Trade-Up Program?

I was very curious to see if there was a trade-in/trade-up program with Nooks?  If not has there been any talks or discussions on whether or not this could happen in the future.  The reason that I ask is that my wife and I both have the Nook 1st Edition.  Well, we really are looking into the Nook Color because of the children's books.  We have two children under three and we read a ton to them.  

I know that there will not be a huge $ amount for a used Nook, but B&N could sell the used Nooks at a cheaper price and still profit on the sell of books and accessories from used Nooks.  Those that want to trade-up will have the opportunity and get a discount on the new Nook color.

I just wanted to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Re: Trade-In/Trade-Up Program?

When businesses offer trade-in programs, they usually offer far less money than you would get by selling it yourself (car dealerships being the most obvious example.) I would suggest that you try selling them on craigslist or ebay.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose

It has been discussed alot. B&N doesn't have a program like that.  Many people say there should be a program like with cell phones. However cell phone companies make their money off you monthly plan & contract, which is why they are able to offer free phones.

Even if B&N could resell the used nooks and make some money, it wouldn't be enough to make it worth the trouble.  They would have to pay employees to admin the program; refurb the units (or no one would want to buy them); etc.

I consider any electronics that cost less than $200 to be kind of a one shot, last a couple of years thing. Obsolesence happens to quickly these days.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

SDorrity wrote:

I was very curious to see if there was a trade-in/trade-up program with Nooks?  If not has there been any talks or discussions on whether or not this could happen in the future.  The reason that I ask is that my wife and I both have the Nook 1st Edition.  Well, we really are looking into the Nook Color because of the children's books.  We have two children under three and we read a ton to them.  

I know that there will not be a huge $ amount for a used Nook, but B&N could sell the used Nooks at a cheaper price and still profit on the sell of books and accessories from used Nooks.  Those that want to trade-up will have the opportunity and get a discount on the new Nook color.

I just wanted to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Just sell them on ebay. You will get no less than $50 each for them.

Contributor
TimeTravellerNC
0 Kudos

I've asked BN via email, they said no plans.

I sold mine on Amazon.com through their selling option for $89.95.   

Inspired Contributor
MAD70601
0 Kudos

I don't have a B&N in my city, but I do have a Books-a-million that sells Nooks AND buys used ones.  They have a special desk set up for this, and the hours are very limited but well posted. 

I don't know anything about their price offers, because I'm holding onto my N1E.  Fyi, I still have every one of my cell phones, as well as any other electronic toys.

Frequent Contributor
thecuckoo
0 Kudos

I know at the beginning of the month, they were offering a micro-sd card with about 30 free books on it if you turned in your old nook.  I had just bought my NC and considered doing it, but my daughter likes my N1E, so I didn't do it (plus I had a lot of the books already.)