Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
coreycox4114
0 Kudos

Trade-ins

hey guys,

i was just wondering if its possible to turn in my nook, and get a discount for the all new nook. is that possible? if so, how?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

Re: Trade-ins

Is it still within the 14 day return period (or 30 day if you got it at Best Buy)? If so, just return it and get your money back or a store credit and use that to buy a new Nook.

If you've had it longer, try to sell it on eBay, Craigslist or some other way and then use that money.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

No, B&N has never done so.  I doubt they will add such a program now, but I suppose there's always the slim possibility.

There have been some here who mentioned Best Buy's trad-in program for those who bought their NOOKs from there, but that program has to be bought into at the time of purchase.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

coreycox4114 wrote:

hey guys,

i was just wondering if its possible to turn in my nook, and get a discount for the all new nook. is that possible? if so, how?

No.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

Took three days for this thread to appear :smileytongue:

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Frequent Contributor
xamier
0 Kudos

LOL, popping corn and pulling up a chair to watch the fun.

Let the games begin.:smileyvery-happy:

Xamier
Beware shiny objects that are free, for in this world there are no shiny objects that are free...Darkkin

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

what is it about the nook v1 and v2 that are making folks think B&N would simply accept their old one for a new one?

I bought a canon point and shoot camera about 17 months ago.  since then they have come out with at least 1-2 newer models.  I can't imagine thinking I would be able to go back to the store and ask if I an get a credit of any type for my old 17 month camera

I bought a garmin gps 2 years ago.  since then they have come out with at least 20 different/newer/better models.  I don;t see amazon letting me trade it in.

I got a washer from lowes 2 years ago.  i KNOW 3 months later the discontinued the model and came out with a new one.

any single one of these I wouldn't even fathom anyone would let me trade it in for a newer model.

I say this yet another poster is right, this is just the first of many I bet we see like this.  heck there were dozens when folks wanted to trade in e-ink nook for nook color (which technically isn't even the same type device...)

sorry for riping on the OP, I am not meaning too.  I am just curious what about the nook makes people think B&N should have some trade in program?

AlanNJ

RSC_Nook wrote:

sorry for riping on the OP, I am not meaning too.  I am just curious what about the nook makes people think B&N should have some trade in program?

It's not the Nook.  It's a sense of entitlement.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Notice how most of these types of threads about trade ins are always new 1 post members?? Funny. They must realize that they asked a foolish question and dont want to come back to defend their position.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Or they forgot how they got here in the first place... :smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Some of you folks seem pretty mean spirited to me.

A new board member asks a question and some of you seem to enjoy slapping the new member around a bit.

Either that or you just like to hear yourselves talk, or read your own posts, I should say.

Lovely welcome.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Agreed.  The OP asked a question.  That is how we get answers.  They didn't say they felt they were entitled to a trade-in or even question the lack of a trade-in policy.

But soe of you have decided to assume there will be a blustering reply and gone all negative again.

You know what they say about when you ass-u-me.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

good points above.  I apologize for my reply. Although I will say my post was less about the OP and his/her comment as much as a general statement about what is it about the nook vs nook color vs nook gen 2 that is different that causes so many of these 'can I trade it in' posts.  more a question in general than ragging on the OP

either way, point taken, and again apologies on my part

AlanNJ

Apologies from me as well.  Snarky mood + memories of this question when color Nook came out = replies seen.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

No, B&N has never done so.  I doubt they will add such a program now, but I suppose there's always the slim possibility.

There have been some here who mentioned Best Buy's trad-in program for those who bought their NOOKs from there, but that program has to be bought into at the time of purchase.

Best Buy has their buy back which is mentioned by Nallia (you have to sign up or whatever at the time of purchase) and they have a trade-in program which you can use for many different electronic items that aren't too out of date.  As of right now it looks like they are offering somewhere in the $20-$30 range for Nook 3g & wi-fi and the Nook Wi-fi only models.  You can either request a check by mail or a Best Buy gift card (you get a few $'s more with the GC option since they know the $ is going right back to them).  It appears as though their trade-in price dropped as soon the new nook was announced as it was closer to $60-70 last time I checked it.  The info can be found on their site under the Services menu select trade-in center and it will take you to the trade in estimator where you enter your products information.  If you have enough gadgets laying around that you no longer want/use and they are still in good/usable condition then you may be able to trade-in enough stuff to cover part of the cost of the new nook.  Also, I've never actually used the service - just found it while browsing the site one day and thought it looked interesting.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

ynot22 wrote:

A new board member asks a question and some of you seem to enjoy slapping the new member around a bit.

Either that or you just like to hear yourselves talk, or read your own posts, I should say.

Lovely welcome.

I think these threads always take on this kind of tone, right, or wrong, when it's thought that a user feels entitled to some kind of a break or discount on a new device when it comes out soon after they have purchased the old one.   Such questions are never asked when it comes to cell phones, computers and cars, so why should e-readers be any different?   You're right, the thread should not take on a nasty tone (i'm guilty of having done that in the past, apologies for my behavior).....but I think the entitlement question when it comes to new generation e-reader devices has gotten on peoples' nerves.   Anyway, I promise to behave forever after.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

I just read this morning that Kodak is starting a program for used electronics where they will offer cash or at least recycle it properly for free. 

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

rafalweb wrote:

ynot22 wrote:

Lovely welcome.

I think these threads always take on this kind of tone, right, or wrong, when it's thought that a user feels entitled to some kind of a break or discount on a new device when it comes out soon after they have purchased the old one.   Such questions are never asked when it comes to cell phones, computers and cars, so why should e-readers be any different?   You're right, the thread should not take on a nasty tone (i'm guilty of having done that in the past, apologies for my behavior).....but I think the entitlement question when it comes to new generation e-reader devices has gotten on peoples' nerves.   Anyway, I promise to behave forever after.

You've never traded in a car?

Frequent Contributor
Rich_D
0 Kudos

I don't think it's an unreasonable request.  Electronic buy back or recycling programs are becoming fairly common, although they typically don't offer much.  Also, there are brand loyalty discounts, which are also fairly common.  Nook isn't the only e-reader, nor is it necessarily the best e-reader, a nod of appreciation to their customers is good PR.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

rafalweb wrote:

ynot22 wrote:

Lovely welcome.

You've never traded in a car?

I have.  The dealership is willing to take my old car because it then turns around and sells it again.  But if the dealership refused to do this, I would just sell it myself.  I'd get more for it that way anyway.

Dealerships make more money from their used car sales than from their new car sales, so it's in their best interests to buy them back from people.  

A car isn't anything close to an ereader.