Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Trade-ins

I think perhaps it isn;t that far fetched of a question about trading a v1 nook for the new one.

BUT...

in my opinion:

What i think you are seeing in some of these snippy replies (fair to the poster or not) is months ago there were tons of posts about how folks feel screwed over by B&N because they bought an e-ink device, then this nook color thing came out which was "oh so much better" and B&N should of told them this, and B&N did not, and B&N is evil so they should give everyone with the e-ink nook a big buy back option blah blah blah

so quite unfairly, I will admit, I think some folks see these new trade in posts under that light.  I will admit fully including me.  this post itself was not that bad.  it is the leftover feelings of seeing all the 'I demand a refund so I can get a nook color' messages that were floating around.

Wordsmith
Tim40744

Nallia wrote:

A car isn't anything close to an ereader.

I wondered why I was sitting so low...I just thought the suspension was bad.  :smileyvery-happy:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

Nallia wrote:

A car isn't anything close to an ereader.

I wondered why I was sitting so low...I just thought the suspension was bad.  :smileyvery-happy:

:smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
momoSRT
0 Kudos

Well I just posted a similar question but I guess I better delete it before I get grilled by some.  It does seem reasonable...i bought mine just a year ago; had I known there was a newer version coming out, I probably would have held out a bit longer.   Giving customers an option to upgrade is a wise business idea - it's good customer service and with the way technology changes and "improves" almost daily, it would make sense that companies allow for some kind of trade-in policy.  Just giving a credit toward the purchase of a newer version would make a lot of people happy and would generate more sales.  But since it doesn't seem like that's the case, I'll stick with my "oldie".  Goodness knows 6 months from now, there will probably be a newer version of the Nook.

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

I wish B&N would follow what Gamestop does. When a new game boy comes out or is ready for pre-order, people can take in their older or more recently purchased ones and turn those in for some credit towards the new one. However, when doing this there is a set flat fee of how much you can get for turning yours in so you could turn in a recently purchased one OR a year old one and still get the same amount put down toward the new one.

Only thing would be instead of having the turn in devices get refurbished and put back on shelves, just send them off to be recycled. 

It makes sense I think and those who want the new one can get the new nook and those who don't can still stick with what they have. 

MegSLP
0 Kudos

For the people that keep saying that it makes good business sense to offer trade ins, here is my question (and no, it isn't snarky): Do you have a MBA? Something to back up why you think this is a good business decision? My husband is a MBA and senior manager for an international IT corporation. He calls it cannibalizing sales. If BN offered trade ins, then it takes away any incentive to actually come up with new e-readers. In addition, there isn't a large mark-up on the e-readers so it would take away what little profit margin they had on the device. Honestly, it doesn't make ANY business sense for BN to do it or else we would see every tech company out there doing it.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

MegSLP wrote:
Honestly, it doesn't make ANY business sense for BN to do it or else we would see every tech company out there doing it.

Everyone points to Apple and says "But they do it." 

Sure, they do it.  But not really.  They give you $20 on a device that cost $200+ at purchase towards the purchase of another device that costs $250.  

I can't believe people fall for it.  For $20, I'd keep device A as a backup.  Or I'd just give it to someone who needs [read:  really, really, really wants but can't buy] one.  $20 barely buys fast food for two people. :smileywink:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Now now, Ya-Ya, are you actually doing the math instead of letting the marketeers win?  :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
MegSLP
0 Kudos

@Ya-Ya-- exactly! Apple also has a HUGE mark-up on all of their items. And yes, I own an iPhone and iPad but I also realize that there is a huge mark-up.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Now now, Ya-Ya, are you actually doing the math instead of letting the marketeers win?  :smileywink:

Sorry.  I forgot logic isn't my friend.  :smileytongue:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

My "assumption" is that the profit margin on the Nook is negligible.  It's like when you buy a razor.  The razor is cheap but you spend all the money on the blades.  That's the way a Nook is.  You buy the reader at a negligible margin but then you buy the books.

►Without order there is chaos◄