New User
dk71
0 Kudos

Transferring Overdrive books to nook

I'm sure I'm missing something... so don't tease me. But I just got a nook and downloaded an epub ebook from my local library. Loaded and authorized Adobe Digital Editions on my computer... plugged in my nook to the computer. Went to the ADE and transferred over the book I downloaded to the nook bookshelf. The nook icon in ADE on my computer shows that the book is located there.

But when I go to see the book on my nook, it's not in the library.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Dawn

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Re: Transferring Overdrive books to nook

I have a NC but here is where they are on mine - go to library then my files and they will either be under digital editions or My Files - my downloads.  Probably digital editions.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dk71 wrote:

I'm sure I'm missing something... so don't tease me. But I just got a nook and downloaded an epub ebook from my local library. Loaded and authorized Adobe Digital Editions on my computer... plugged in my nook to the computer. Went to the ADE and transferred over the book I downloaded to the nook bookshelf. The nook icon in ADE on my computer shows that the book is located there.

But when I go to see the book on my nook, it's not in the library.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Dawn

Did you authorize your nook as well? If not, click on the word "Library" with the little arrow next to it when the nook is connected. A drop down menu appears. If Authorize Device is grayed out, then it has been authorized.

The other thing to remember is to click on the My Computer (or Computer) icon on the desktop, right-click on the nook drive and eject or safely remove it.

There is no way to eject the nook from ADE, so it has to be done separately using the computer icon. I'm hoping they remedy this in future ADE updates, since it is something that has to be done.

The book will also appear under My Documents, in the Adobe Digital Editions folder. You will need to open it from there.

Happy reading

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
New User
jleg
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. I check out the library books, select my documents in the E:drive and they transfer no further than my laptop. I've been having to read them from laptop from the Acrobat Digital Editions files. What's the point? Anyway strangely I was able to download successfully the "free library books" that don't expire to the NOOK. What is the exact procedure to download from a public library?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

jleg wrote:

I have the same problem. I check out the library books, select my documents in the E:drive and they transfer no further than my laptop. I've been having to read them from laptop from the Acrobat Digital Editions files. What's the point? Anyway strangely I was able to download successfully the "free library books" that don't expire to the NOOK. What is the exact procedure to download from a public library?

When you check out a book from the library, the box pops up to ask Open with or Save.

Always choose "Open with" and be sure the box next to it says digitaleditions.exe or Adobe Digital Editions (not Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat). Otherwise click "browse" or "other" and select Adobe Digital Editions. (The wording of the boxes depends on which operating system you are using.)

This will cause ADE to open and download the book. Then you can drag it from the "borrowed" shelf in ADE to the nook icon.

If you have saved the books to your hard drive, they will have a .ascm extension on the file name (or maybe it's .acsm, I can't remember off the top of my head). Usually you can double-click on this file and it will open in ADE. You should be able to then drag the title to the nook icon.

Hope this helps.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

The reason you can read the free content from your library is that they are generally PDF files and get loaded to the NC differently. Adobe Digital Editions website also has a support/help section on loading epub books onto a Nook.

New User
dk71
0 Kudos

Haha! It was there - just under "my documents." Silly me, I thought all the books would be seen when you touched "my library."  Thanks so much! I figured it was something simple.

Take care!
Dawn

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

jleg wrote:

strangely I was able to download successfully the "free library books" that don't expire to the NOOK.

This sounds to me like you're using Windows Explorer (or some such) to transfer your e-books onto your NOOK. This works fine for e-books that don't expire. But for library e-books and other e-books that have an expiration date, you have to copy them in Adobe Digital Editions so that ADE can set up the expiration date in your NOOK.

Contributor
mlibrarianus
0 Kudos

sandie52 wrote:

The reason you can read the free content from your library is that they are generally PDF files and get loaded to the NC differently. Adobe Digital Editions website also has a support/help section on loading epub books onto a Nook.

Actually OverDrive has both PDF and EPUB format to lend.  And files downloaded from OverDrive via ADE for regular Nook can be found under My Library - My Documents.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@jleg

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

This link should answer all your questions and soon have you managing your library books like a pro:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Reader
MommyDyr
0 Kudos

Yay!  I did exactly what you suggested and "found" the books in My Files in the Digital Editions file!  Thanks!

New User
WordSmithDave
0 Kudos

Re: Transferring Overdrive ePub library books to Nook

Hi Dawn:

The procedure is not very intuitive. It took a lot of trial and error before I found the right procedure:

1) Download and install the free Digital Editions application from Adobe.com. It would be simpler and faster to have your Nook plugged into your computer while doing this, but not necessary.

2) With your Nook (in my case, Simple Touch) plugged into your computer and Digital Editions opened, a message should prompt you (words to the effect) "Portable Drive detected" (your Nook) and prompt you to "Activate" your Nook for Digital Editions. You should see the Nook icon in the Digital Editions Library view when your Nook is plugged in. This procedure may vary slightly from what I have written, as I'm writing this from memory.

3) After you download an ePub book from Overdrive, double-click on the *.acsm file. This will install the ePub version of the book and open it in Adobe Digital Editions.

4) From the Adobe Digital Editions library, drag and drop the ePub book file onto the Nook icon (within Digital Editions).

5) Eject the Nook from My Computer and unplug. Your ePub book should be available to read on your Nook.

The mistake that I made intially was trying to "copy" and paste or drag and drop directly into my Nook files. It is critical that you do everything from WITHIN Adobe Digital Editions.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave

Reader 4
Kris13
0 Kudos

Very helpful.  Thank you so much!!!  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
brhenry
0 Kudos

Dave where do you locate the book on the Simple Touch device itself? I get the book onto the device then I cannot find it easily. Where should I be looking for it? Thanks

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

brhenry wrote:

Dave where do you locate the book on the Simple Touch device itself? I get the book onto the device then I cannot find it easily. Where should I be looking for it? Thanks

It should show up in your library.  Try searching for it.  Sometimes it's there but you can't see it.  You can also try completely turning the Nook off, then back on (reboot)  I know my mom had this issue a few times and the reboot solved it.  She hasn't had this problem since I updated her NST.

New User
WordSmithDave
0 Kudos

Hi Dawn:

Make certain that you drag and drop WITHIN ADE. Then go to My Computer and make certain that you see the eBook in the Nook Library before you unplug your USB. Then check your Nook. The eBook should be the very item that shows up in the Library.

Happy eReading!

David