Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

Travel to Europe with Nook?

Anyone here every traveled to Europe, specifically Scotland, and taken your nook with you?  

Do you have any suggestions?

I am worried about the charger situation in particular?

Any suggestions would be helpful.  

TIA,

Zola

Correspondent
love_my_karma

Re: Travel to Europe with Nook?

I have traveled to Scotland, though it was pre-nook.

Just take along your European converter, and you should have no trouble at all charging any electronic device.

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Jazola wrote:

I am worried about the charger situation in particular?

All you need is an adapter for the pins on the charger plug. You don't need a full-blown converter.

Remember that while you're over there, you won't be able to buy any new e-books from B&N. Be sure you've bought everything you're going to want, and make sure everything's downloaded and readable before you go. For maximum protection against possible glitches, leave Airplane Mode on while you're out of the US.

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Thanks for the correction, Doug. I meant to say adapter, and said converter instead.

It's been one of those brain fade days for me. I should just stay away from the computer.:/

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

I've taken my overseas (India, mainly).  As long as you have an adaptor/converter then you should be fine.  I went on ahead and bought all the books that I thought I would need plus some since I knew I couldn't purchase books while overseas but my back-up plan was to email my mom and have her sign on to my account and purchase the books for me.

Contributor
Bomanta

I took mine to Ireland, worked fine.  Just remember your power adaptor and buy all the books you want before you go or give someone back home your account information and let them buy nook books for you on the website. 

Have fun!

Contributor
dketcham
0 Kudos

I took mine to Scotland this summer. We also had a laptop with us, so I just charged it off the USB port of the laptop. Also our airline had outlets under every seat, so it charged the whole flight to and from.

Correspondent
lisat96
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Remember that while you're over there, you won't be able to buy any new e-books from B&N. Be sure you've bought everything you're going to want, and make sure everything's downloaded and readable before you go. For maximum protection against possible glitches, leave Airplane Mode on while you're out of the US.

I just wanted to reinforce what Doug said.  If you've replaced your nook for any reason or factory reset it, only the index and the most recent purchases are redownloaded when you check for new content. Just because your books show in the index, doesn't mean that they're actually downloaded to the device, so try and open anything you plan on reading so you don't end up out-of-luck if you can't find a WiFi network to use when you need to redownload a book.

Frequent Contributor
Doc_R
0 Kudos

Actually I was able to download a book recently while in Greece.  I'm not sure why it worked, but it did.  Maybe I was in some kind of wormhole?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Doc_R wrote:

I was able to download a book recently while in Greece.  I'm not sure why it worked, but it did.

You can download anywhere in the world you can get Wi-Fi access. However, you can't buy more e-books outside of the US and Canada.

New User
shellmann
0 Kudos

How do you put your Nook in Airplane Mode?
Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

For the nook 1st edition, use the menu on the lcd screen. Their should be a wifi option. Choose that option thenthere'sban option to turn off wifi.