Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
amonroe
0 Kudos

Trouble downloading books lately? (N2E)

I've had some issues with connecting to "proxied" wi-fi networks on my N2E since I got it, but I decided to keep it because I could at least connect to my home wi-fi and download books.  However, this morning I turned on my wi-fi and tried to download a book (a lengthy one, I will admit), and the Nook was not able to complete the processing of my purchase before I left the house.  I waited probably 30 minutes, and it still hasn't downloaded.

Anyone else having this problem?

Contributor
edu500acEC
0 Kudos

Re: Trouble downloading books lately? (N2E)

Yes. It is very hard to buy from B&N, unless you happen to live near one of their stores. I hope B&N improve their selling system, since I am very grateful for the Nook, and would love buying book from them.  I gave up buying books from B&N, since I cannot buy books while I am abroad. The point is that the perfect occasion to buy and read books is while one is on vacations in Greece, France, Quebec or Paraguay. I did not have any problems with other bookstores, except in one case (I bought the book, but was not able to read it on my Nook). BTW, to buy from other bookstores, one needs to install the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) in a computer. Plug your Nook to the computer, and launch ADE. Many bookstores let you use their computers to do the job. Make sure that you are buying an authorized electronic edition, and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials. In doubt, contact the publisher. 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

I am sorry some of you are having trouble.  I have seen reports of this for a few weeks now, but I have not had any problems at all buying and downloading books from B&N from any WiFi connection.

Contributor
edu500acEC
0 Kudos

There is one procedure that works for me. As the Wifi admin to eliminate the passward. I don't know why, but the Nook works much better when there is no password. After downloading the book, the admin can reconfigure the passward. Of course, if you live near a B&N shop, there is no problem. The Nook works perfectly well inside B&N stores.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

edu500acEC wrote:

Yes. It is very hard to buy from B&N, unless you happen to live near one of their stores. I hope B&N improve their selling system, since I am very grateful for the Nook, and would love buying book from them.  I gave up buying books from B&N, since I cannot buy books while I am abroad. The point is that the perfect occasion to buy and read books is while one is on vacations in Greece, France, Quebec or Paraguay. I did not have any problems with other bookstores, except in one case (I bought the book, but was not able to read it on my Nook). BTW, to buy from other bookstores, one needs to install the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) in a computer. Plug your Nook to the computer, and launch ADE. Many bookstores let you use their computers to do the job. Make sure that you are buying an authorized electronic edition, and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials. In doubt, contact the publisher. 

I buy the books BEFORE I go and read WHILE I'm on vacation.  Also, you can download freely from Gutenberg, Manybooks and other sites so enjoy a classic if you find yourself in a bind.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria