Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ilovemickey
0 Kudos

Troubles connecting Nook to wireless router

We had a GigaFast 4Port Internet Router and we tried changing the settings and resetting the router and it would not recognize our Nook.  It recognized all other devices but not the Nook.  We were told that the wireless network protocol needs to be 802.11G or B and ours was a N.  We purchased a Cisco ValetPlus router that has G, B, and N and hooked it up and the Nook works fine now. 

We spent hours trying to figure this out and Barnes & Noble was no help and had no clue on what was wrong, we had someone that is in IT at my work help us. 

I hope this post helps someone else who is having trouble connecting.

New User
nfoster102
0 Kudos

Re: Troubles connecting Nook to wireless router

I have a Belkin router, how do I know if it is a B, G, or N because I am having trouble connecting to this router with the Nook but all other devices are connecting with no problem. I contacted B & N and they were not helpful in helping me resolve this issue.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

nfoster102 wrote:

I have a Belkin router, how do I know if it is a B, G, or N because I am having trouble connecting to this router with the Nook but all other devices are connecting with no problem. I contacted B & N and they were not helpful in helping me resolve this issue.

It might say on the router, but if not, you have to go into the router settings to see how it is set up.  

Things to look for besiddes, B, G & N are

Make sure your SSID is broadcasting the first time you try and connect the Nook, so it can find it.

If you have Mac address filtering enabled, you will need to disable it long enough to get the Nook to connect, then add the Mac address to the allowable device list.

You don't say what exactly the problem is, but if your router is using encryption, you need to have the encryption key or passphrase, which is not the same as the password to get into the router settings.

Unfortunately, there is no way that B&N tech support can know how to configure every router on the market and/or how your specific router is set up.  Your best bet would be contact whoever set up your router and ask them these questions.

pta
New User
pta
0 Kudos

I have a Belkin Router that is set for both 802.11b and 802.11g. My nook connects to my wifi and will connect to the web but will not let me down load books. I try to download a book and I get the message. Queued. Will complete shortly but it never does.

Does Nook have a problem with belkin. All other wireless devices are working fine, pc, laptop, kids laptops, wireless printer and even my husband's Kindle.

B&N keeps telling me its my wireless net work but if it's the wireless, how come it will let me surf the web?

Getting very frustrated. It was a gift, but may have to take it back and get a Kindle that will work here at home.

pta

New User
CoMObooklvr
0 Kudos

I have been having trouble the last 1.5 months trying to get my books to download.  I got my Nook for Christmas and it worked fine until the beginning of April.  Now, I can access the internet and get the updates on The Daily, but I can't shop and I can't download books from home. 

The crazy thing is that it works just fine in a BN store.  So, I thought it has to be something in the setup of my wireless.  But that doesn't follow if my wireless didn't change and it just stopped being able to download books.  I have since changed my router (Netgear that supports B, G and N) in the hopes that it would start working again, but no luck.

This is very frustrating and BN support just has me unregister and re-register and power down then say that it must be my wireless service.  I'm not sure what to do next.