Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

UPS Surepost?

I am a B&N member so supposed to get expedited shipping. Yet when I got the shipping notices today for a Touch I ordered as a gift and my Nook Tablet preorder it says it was sent UPS Surepost. That takes an extra day or two here..certainly it is not expedited. Why do they do that? First the stores have the tablets two days before they even ship the online preorders, then they ship them Surepost so it takes even longer to get it. I know I'm whining but I am annoyed. Got no one else to whine to, so I picked you guys!
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

Re: UPS Surepost?

We can take the occasional whine around here, most of us have done our fair share.  There's a difference between a little venting and attacking the community so you're good.

You are right about the 'expedited' shipping.  I have B&N membership as well and haven't been impressed with the free shipping.  I just recently ordered some gift cards for Christmas gifts and had to pay shipping for them, they're excluded from the free shipping.  It was only $0.95 but still, I had to pay it.

The last time I ordered a book it came UPS Surepost, UPS to the USPS and then to me, so it took a couple of extra days.  It's one of the reasons I won't be renewing my membership.  I don't go to the store that often, I don't buy that many DTBs anymore, and the free 'expedited' shipping doesn't impress me, so I don't get much value from it.

There are others that have the membership and get value from it.  For me though it's not worth it.

heh, look at that, I added my own whine :smileyvery-happy:

northlite
0 Kudos

Ahh, good to know they charge shipping on the gift cards, I didnt know that. I'm giving two Nook Touches as Christmas gifts so thought I'd add some gift cards too (although they both have had the original Nook since it was released so they have quite a collection of books anyway, but buying more is so much fun!) Maybe I will just pick the cards up at the store. I don't go often since, like you, my DTB purchases have dropped way, way down to the occasional computer or software book, but I do enjoy going and sitting and reading while having a coffee.

Before we got ereaders we went out once a week for supper, then to the Barnes and Noble store and always each bought a couple of books, but anymore we rarely hit the store...kind of sad really since it was a fun part of our week. I think we spent less on books then too!

My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

If you still make trips to the store you get a discount at the B&N cafe with membership.  So depending on how many trips you make it could still be worth it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Asking a question isn't whining in my book, but acting like something is owed to you that isn't is whining.  Your post (OP) is fine.

I believe that Surepost is used when the holiday season hits.  Fedex uses something similar.  It's easier and faster for UPS to drop a bunch of things at the Post Office than to go to individual addresses when really busy.  It also means that items can be sent to P.O. boxes and the like that they won't normally ship to.

And not all NTs are being sent this way-mine is UPS all the way, maybe since they are not as busy here as they are in other areas.

A real fun thing is when some things get dropped off at local mom and pop deliverers-some are really good and some are really questionable.  Ever had a shipper do that?  And, they don't specify it on the shipping at all.  It still just says it's coming from whatever shipper it started with.  I had one delivered in a very ratty looking van, by someone I was a bit afraid to open the door to-no uniform, no label on the truck, nothing.  So, I can't really be sure mine won't come in an ice cream truck or some kid on a bicycle won't deliver it.

And as far as the tracking not being updated-I've had things delivered before the tracking ever got updated.  This happens a lot.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

I'd have to double check with my husband (he works for UPS) but If I remember correctly Surepost is actually shipping by the USPS but they have been using UPS for a few years now to "move" their packages for them.  The UPS drivers actually pick up and drop off the packages from the post office and act as the middle man in the shipping.  This is all part of the federal government trying to cut back on spending, they figure it's easier/cheaper to pay UPS to transport their stuff for them and get the wear and tear on their trucks instead of the postal service trucks.  It can sometimes take a few extra days because the postal service waits until they have enough packages going from/to a particular location before having UPS pick them up.

deemure

[ Edited ]

Nevermore1 wrote:

I'd have to double check with my husband (he works for UPS) but If I remember correctly Surepost is actually shipping by the USPS but they have been using UPS for a few years now to "move" their packages for them.  The UPS drivers actually pick up and drop off the packages from the post office and act as the middle man in the shipping.  This is all part of the federal government trying to cut back on spending, they figure it's easier/cheaper to pay UPS to transport their stuff for them and get the wear and tear on their trucks instead of the postal service trucks.  It can sometimes take a few extra days because the postal service waits until they have enough packages going from/to a particular location before having UPS pick them up.

I know at least one that I had sent this way did say it was from UPS, and it started off as showing a standard UPS tracking page, then it listed when it was handed off.

I think basically what they are all trying to do is get them there as quickly as possible when things get really busy.  I've gotten packages from all kinds of odd deliverers recently and you are right I think it's been the last few years it's been this way.

And for anyone working at any delivery company I don't mean to disparage them.  All of us can relate horror stories all over the place about companies, but it boils down to those being individual experiences.  I personally have had some great experiences from all of these companies and from many have also had some bad ones, but your experiences my be different from mine.  These people do by and large work really hard to get our stuff to us and they mostly do a fantastic job under some really tight time constraints.  The bad examples get remembered, the good ones often go unnoticed.  And I think some companies often over-promise what can physically be expected.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

And I think some companies often over-promise what can physically be expected.

UPS is notorious for this and it's usually their delivery drivers that suffer because of it, they are actually expected to take less than 1 and a half minutes to deliver each package and this includes travel time between their stops and getting on and off the truck. My husband works back and forth between the feeders (tractor-tailers) and the delivery trucks and hates doing delivery because they always have management yelling at them if they don't deliver fast enough.  God forbid if they make a mistake or miss something.  They can be written up if they don't deliver whatever ridiculous # of packages management and dispatch thinks they should be able to deliver in a specified amount of time.  This time of year you will start getting all sorts of vehicles delivering your packages as the delivery companies (UPS and FedEx) don't have enough trucks to handle the volume they have.  They do rent some U-Haul type trucks but also sometimes expect their drivers to use their personal vehicles to do their runs as well if they can't get enough rental trucks (they don't get reimbursed for the gas or mileage they put on their vehicles either).  My husband has even gotten back to the building after finishing his run and had management give him multiple packages and tell him to deliver them on his way home from work - adds a few more hours to his day that he doesn't get paid for since he is technically done with his shift.  If you get a cranky delivery person this is usually one reason why they are so cranky.

deemure

I can honestly say they have never been cranky, but I think that just stinks.  Again, it's consumers wanting things now and companies that can't say no.

Frequent Contributor
Zion21
0 Kudos

Wow! I never knew how many packages they are expected to deliver in one day. delivering packages on your way home with your own vehicle? ridiculous.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ha, now this is kind of funny.  My order was never listed as going by Surepost.  But, for the final leg it will be delivered by the USPS.  At this point, I am thinking much of this is due to what UPS selects and not necessarily Barnes and Noble.

I also found out that Fedex was the first to use this type of thing and has done so for years, UPS just trademarked the name Surepost last year and used to call it UPS Basic.  I guess it goes to show you that UPS and Fedex cannot do everything and there is definitely a place for the USPS.  And I also find it funny that UPS has mailbox stores, but won't deliver to P.O. boxes, and yet will deliver to the USPS which will then deliver to the P.O. boxes for them.  My head hurts.

I assume the only way they can make someone deliver packages "off hours" without paying them is by making them salaried-this is a dirty trick in my book.  Otherwise, they'd be in violation of some labor laws, unless things have changed so much that this is now allowed.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA

I think there are some federal restrictions on who can be classified as salaried and who can't. I doubt anyone in a delivery position would qualify unless a substantial portion of their duties involve supervising or directing other personnel. Another dodge has been classifying workers as "independent contractors" for both hours worked and various labor costs like income taxes, workman's compensation and social security, but there are restrictions on those practices as well.

I've seen reports of large companies being fined for having wage employees perform work during meal breaks and before/after clocking in, but I don't have any links to offer. Employees who have been asked to work off the clock should inquire with an attorney, preferably one who specializes in labor law.

Consult your tax preparer or IRS publications if your vehicle is at all used for work, as there may be deductions available. The first leg from home and last leg back might not qualify, but mileage between work sites probably does. Make sure you log the odometer readings each day and save documentation for all auto related expenses (gas, repairs, car payments) so the costs can be divided between personal and work use.

northlite
0 Kudos

They finally updated one of them and it will be here Wednesday. Not really very expedited but lesson learned...I'll probably never preorder online again, I'll drive the 20 miles to the store and order there. My original Nook Touch came the day after it was released...so maybe ordering two seconds after it went live online like I did with it is better than waiting a few days to make up my mind like I did with the tablet. The Nook Touch I ordered the other day is a Christmas gift so no biggie, but I feel some tablet envy of all these people with their shiny Nook Tablets already! LOL

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

northlite wrote:

They finally updated one of them and it will be here Wednesday. Not really very expedited but lesson learned...I'll probably never preorder online again, I'll drive the 20 miles to the store and order there. My original Nook Touch came the day after it was released...so maybe ordering two seconds after it went live online like I did with it is better than waiting a few days to make up my mind like I did with the tablet. The Nook Touch I ordered the other day is a Christmas gift so no biggie, but I feel some tablet envy of all these people with their shiny Nook Tablets already! LOL

If it gets to you Wednesday the shipping was expedited.  They promised shipping on the 18th.  So, in transit time is 3 business days.  That is considered expedited, actually.  I do agree that it was wrong that stores got them sooner, and pre-orders online should have gotten theirs before store walk-ins.  This was handled poorly.

Also, as for what Nevermore1 posted and RobertVA's post about what UPS does with employees.  She said her husband doesn't usually do deliveries and that they had him do this on the way home.  So, it seems to me they avoided the mileage because if it was truly on the way, there wouldn't be any.  It's also likely difficult to claim that on taxes, unfortunately.   Hopefully, if they can they will heed your advice. I think only part of being salaried is covered under Federal law, but I do know that some of the rules changed under Bush. 

If he is hourly, then having him do it on his time is a big issue, just as was said.  But, where they get you is that lately the courts have been a bit less labor-friendly and there have been steps taken to make it almost impossible to file under class action status, which is the main way such things are brought to court.  The amount he might go to court for might be so small as to make it financially untenable and while he could maybe file a complaint about it, he might worry about his job as well.   I agree companies can be fined, but that doesn't help the individual that it happened to.  In fact, it can be subtly detrimental.

New User
jenk264
0 Kudos

I haven't received my 'expedited' shipping yet either..if this is the way B/N ships everything, I'll cancel my membership. We should have a choice..thanks for screwing up my Christmas gifts!