Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
KaraO
0 Kudos

USB Device Not Recognized

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on my predicament.  I have a Nook Wi-Fi, and I cannot get any computer to recognize that it is connected, ergo I cannot sideload any content.  The Nook itself acknowleges that it is hooked to a PC, but the PC keeps giving me the error message "USB Device Not Recognized".  I have tried the standard "fixes" of Unreigstering and Reregistering the Nook, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers themselves.  This happens on my computer, my husband's computer, friend's computer, etc.

I'm not sure when I'll next be at an actual B&N brick and mortar, and the 800 number wasn't able to assist, even after being on with tech support for 2 solid hours.

Did anyone here experience this same problem?  I have a couple dozen things I would like to sideload, and that was one of the main draw tickets for me to get the Nook in the first place.

Thanks in advance!

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Re: USB Device Not Recognized

Obvious questions:

• is the USB port on your PC OK?  have you used it before?
  • are you using the Nook USB cable?
  • is the Nook turned ON before you plug it in?
  • when you say the Nook "...acknowleges that it is hooked to a PC..." do you see the S-shaped USB cable figure on the Nook screen

Try re-booting the PC (and the Nook) and then plug in the nook after the PC has re-booted.

This should be easy...sorry you're having troubles...:smileysad:

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This happened to my original NOOK and B&N Customer Service eventually determined that it was a bad micro-USB port

We had already replaced the battery, we tried a new charging cord, a factory fallback (the whole holding the power button for twenty + seconds six times) and when that didn't fix it, I did a rapid replacement.

My new (refurb - that's what I expected) NOOK arrived in four days and works perfectly. 

By far, the most annoying part has been that I lost my shelves.  I haven't redone them yet, though, because I'm considering changing how I had them shelved.

I think a call to Customer Service (maybe a weekday morning - best chance of short to no wait times) is in order.

[Edited:  Make sure that you tell Customer Service you get the "USB Not Recognized...Malfunction" message on multiple PCs and their operating systems.  I did have to go through the reboot, re-hook up, try different USB ports, try different PCs with Customer Service, but the guy I spoke to on that last call was polite, patient, professional and when it was clear that none of it worked, he initiated the replacement without any prompting from me.]

New User
KaraO
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, the USB port is okay ... I use it pretty much daily for my printer, for charging my cell phone, etc.

Yes, I'm using the Nook USB cable.

Yes, the Nook is ON and awake before I plug it in.

Yes, the S shaped USB figure is on the Nook screen along with the notice to properly eject/disconnect it from the PC before unplugging it.

And yes, I have rebooted both items several times, and the problem isn't resolving. :smileysad:

I will try B&N support once more, and see what they say. I'm also leaning towards it being a bad micro-USB port.  Thanks for the help, anyway!

New User
Zuut
0 Kudos

I had the same issue . Plugging in the nook color into multiple desktops and laptops, I reliably got "USB Device Not Recognized" . I was using the Nook Color USB cable - which is a non-standard usb cable - and had the device unlocked. I fixed the issue by swapping the cable for a new one. What's interesting is that the old cable charged the nook fine - it was only an issue with the data connection.

Frequent Contributor
kristi_c
0 Kudos

I don't know if this will help but I noticed that I had to plug my cord into the nook before I plugged in the USB side of the cord to get my computer to recognize it every time...hope you get it taken care of :smileyhappy:

Reader
MrsChelseaP
0 Kudos

I had a similar issue. I have a password lock. The second that I typed in my password, my NOOK was recognized :smileyhappy: 

New User
Canuck-in-NC
0 Kudos

I tried everything suggested in the above links but none of these solved my problem. I ended up chatting with a B&N Tech Support person and they had me remove the battery from my Nook. Steps to fix:

1) Pop off the white plastic casing

2) Use a jeweler's screwdriver to unscrew the battery

3) Remove the battery

4) Press and hold the power button for about 1 minute to remove residual power

5) Keep the battery out for about 10-15 minutes

6) Put the battery back in and put the white plastic case back on

7) Plug the nook into the wall to get a full charge (this can be up to 4 hours)

8) Try connecting the Nook to your computer again

This resolved my problem the first time. I was very happy with Nook Tech Support.

Canuck-in-NC