Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Catherine999
0 Kudos

USPS shipping :( and no nook in-stock at store

Two things that are pretty disappointing: one is that the B&N website said/says that my local store has nook in stock. The website offers the "check local store" option which implies that it is similar to searching for a book in stock - if it comes up, it is in stock. It comes up with a grid and a green check mark under "in stock" and another check under "demo available." So naturally I think that the store has nook in stock, but it does not. Seems like a classic bait & switch to me and I don't like wasting a trip - if the only choice is to order online, then don't trick me into wasting a trip to the store. If only the demo is available then just say so.

Nonetheless I order the device in-store on Feb 11th. "Expedited" 3 day shipping but it is still not here although three business days have now come and gone. It was shipped USPS so the failure to arrive within the specified time is not a surprise. This is not unique to B&N - if e-tailers let you select shipping at point-of-sale, or at least let you know who the shipper was before ordering, it would force these guys to step up their game. Amazon's and Zappos ship UPS, which is good here, so they get my business. I have dropped other retailers that ship FedEx or USPS. I realize that different services can vary in different areas.What makes it more frustrating is that I can see from the tracking screen that it has been in my town for a while now but for whatever reason they are not delivering it.

I felt a little queasy about going with B&N over Amazon, because I have had uniformly great experiences with Amazon and pretty bad with B&N over the years...but I feel it is important to reject proprietary lock-in models and I want to support Android/Google Books/non-exclusive format. Can't say this bodes well...

Frequent Contributor
Bamrz
0 Kudos

Re: USPS shipping :( and no nook in-stock at store

Catherine, you don't give any hints as to your location? If you're on the east coast, you should realize how much the recent severe snowstorms have affected all forms of shipping in the past week.

Still, you really should contact B&N and see if they would refund your expedited shipping fees.

Sue

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - what a ride!!!
Contributor
Catherine999
0 Kudos

I'm on the east coast. But even with the snow, I've recieved packages from Amazon and Zappos via UPS that were ordered well after the 11th, including a new bag to put my device in! If B&N shipped UPS there would not have been any problem whatsoever. The expedited shipping was free, but it would have been nice to have a choice to pay more and choose one of the shippers that is able to make deliveries on-time in spite of the storms...or failing that not get my hopes up to be recieving the package by today. Also frustrating is knowing that the package arrived in my zip code over 24 hours ago. At least if it was UPS I would have the choice to drive to the distribution center and pick it up. Just can't fathom why they would choose USPS, ever.

Thanks for listening...I know there is nothing that can be done right now.

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

I had an overnight package sent friday from amazon that didn't get to me in Md till yesterday & a regular mailed envelope from Ny from a company I do business with that usually take 2 days... this time because of the weather took a week & remember Presidents day so it will be there & I'm not a patient person either...hang in there I hope you enjoy it when you receive it...

Inspired Contributor
nookie01
0 Kudos

If it is shipping from the east coast, it may take a while.

B&N sent me a shipping notice last Wednesday stating that my Madison Trifold cover had shipped. I'm in VA, it was shipping from NJ. But due to the recent storms and the conditions of our roads, the post office is backed up by as much as a week. My shipping notice tracked that it arrived at my local PO on Friday. It still was not here on Tuesday. Accounting for the holiday on Monday, that meant that the package waited to be processed at my PO three of their working business days. When I talked to my mailman yesterday, he told me that they were so backed up that I may not see the box until the end of the week.

My B&N package arrived today, which is exactly one week after it shipped. My nook came from the same location and was routed in the very same manner over the New Year weekend and I received it in a more timely manner. But due to the recent east coast storms, everything is currently running behind.

Be patient. It will eventually make it to your door. The trucks are just having a really hard time keeping up with business because the roads are still so bad. I'm sitting here looking at over 3 feet of snow in my yard, and about 5 feet of snow on the sides of the streets... it is still a mess! I drove today and was amazed at the lack of lanes and the conditions of the roads.

Contributor
Catherine999
0 Kudos

I understand about the storms - but it just isn't the case that "everything" is running behind. The shipper that B&N uses is running behind while UPS is apparently doing fine in my area. B&N could choose to use an adequte shipping service, but instead they chose to give the customer an experience that is much worse than what they get with their main competitor.

This is pretty typical for B&N, for example they want to be the go-to people on textbooks, so to capture some business from Amazon they got competitive on pricing. Sure enough, as soon as I order from B&N I find out they won't be able to ship me the textbook until well after the start of the semester. I cancel the order and am forced to pay for overnight from Amazon - had I not bothered with B&N I could have gotten the two-day through my Prime membership. I should have learned my lesson!

Seems like a terrible strategy to try to compete with the leading retailer on price/products/services and then the minute you get a customer away from them on something, teach the customer that B&N can't distribute the product in a timely fashion - make the customer regret the choice to give B&N another chance.

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

first your complaint was about the nook now it's text books?...seems your issue is with B&N...FWIW CS for all companies today suffer as everyone is trying to cut corners & get bigger profits, I am sorry you feel ripped off but  the customer today really has to investigate what they are purchasing & availability. I have had good & bad experiences with a lot of companies but I usually try to make an informed decision based on calling & asking questions. I never assume whats on a web page is correct, vendors do not update product inventories like they should I am sorry you feel that angry with B&M but it's no difference who you buy it from...

Contributor
Catherine999
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure how you can say it's no difference who I buy it from, when Amazon is shipping products in a timely fashion and B&N is not. If I had ordered a Kindle I would have had it on Saturday, like other products ordered from Amazon last week.That is not the same, it is different.

And yes, I had the same problem with textbooks, B&N wouldn't ship in a timely fashion. I had to go to Amazon to get my book in time to use it.

I posted here because I think nowadays a lot of companies pay attention to web feedback - after all B&N has invested a lot in supporting customer reviews of books similar to Amazon's incredibly successful model.

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

I ordered a special cd from Amazon some mths ago & they chged my account & I paid for next day delivery & guess what?, they were out of stock & I didn't get it for a week, sure I complained & got my shipping back but you assuming Amazon would of gotten it there on time do not assume there are no guarantees...FWIW I still shop at Amazon & FWIW I own a kindle as well...

Contributor
Catherine999
0 Kudos

OK...it's just in the aggregate, I've ordered a TON of stuff from Amazon for years - I've had an issue with shipping maybe once or twice that entire time. I order twice from B&N within 6 months and they are batting zero. It could be a coincidence, but I doubt that given the difference in reputations between the two companies.

It hadn't occurred to me before this week to have two e-readers but now I am thinking of getting a Kindle as well. I guess if I can have PCs and Linux in the same household why not different e-readers, and get the advantages of both? Esp given the difference in book price/availability between the different formats.

Inspired Contributor
nookie01
0 Kudos

Once your nook arrives, the shipping of books will be a non-issue since they can be purchased from B&N directly from the device. They download immediately when you check for new B&N content. The same is true with the Kindle when purchasing books from Amazon. So you really don't need to be concerned with that issue after you have the nook or Kindle, or both, in hand.

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

I own both & like both tho I think the upside of the Nook is greater & I think the screen is a bit better, both have strengths & weaknesses and as you said with pricing it might not be a bad idea to own both...again I hope you enjoy your nook when you get it...