Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
earose
0 Kudos

Unlock code???

After I have downloaded a free nook book from barnes and noble, when I go to open it in adobe digital editions it asks me for an unlock code?  What would this be?

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Re: Unlock code???

It would be a sign that you are using the wrong application to read the book.

Free or paid, if the book came from B&N directly it has the B&N DRM which is known to the Nook Reader itself.

ADE is used for third-party books (books not from B&N, or from library loan systems).

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

earose wrote:

After I have downloaded a free nook book from barnes and noble, when I go to open it in adobe digital editions it asks me for an unlock code?  What would this be?

You don't use ADE for Nookbooks.  If you're on the PC, download and use Nook for PC.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

ADE 2.0 finally added support for the B&N DRM.

The unlock code are the credit card number and name of the default credit card of your B&N account.

Contributor
Nucksters
0 Kudos

Hi.

I have tried using the cc info to Unlock and dowload my B&N Books to ADE but it does not work. Any ideas? This is driving me crazy. I used to have the old ADE on my old laptop, and never had a problem downloading.

Thanks for your help.

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

Is there a special reason you're trying to open you're B&N files with ADE? If you just want to open it on your computer, the nook software is probably easier to use to download your books to your computer, and you can transfer them to your nook from there if you so desire. The update to allow B&N books on ADE has been rumored for a while, and I'm not sure all the kinks have been ironed out yet.

The old ADE, depending on how old you mean, works with any ebook store selling Adobe epub or pdf files, but B&N has run on a different copy protection from the start.

Contributor
Nucksters
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your reply. I just prefer ADE, I don't like the Nook Desktop app. No worries, I will make do. Thanks again.

New User
celestihel
0 Kudos

I copied this from their help (I also prefer ADE and this worked):

I cannot unlock my books. I get an "Error D-4 Code" or "1107 Error". What does that mean?

You should be able to unlock the NOOK Book from Barnes & Noble.com with this information:

Unlock Name: Full name on your Billing Address Unlock Code: 15 or 16 digit credit card on record as your default credit card when you downloaded the NOOK Book
Please replace the *'s with the actual credit card numbers.

If you don't have the credit card you previously used to unlock the NOOK Book, please try adding a new credit card on your Account page. After adding a new card, re-download your purchased NOOK Books, and try unlocking them with the new credit card number. (You might want to delete the old copies of your NOOK Books first, to avoid confusion. The old and new copies will have the same file names.)
Reader 4
pmm1963
0 Kudos

Please help as I am having trouble with this unlock code.  I just got a new laptop and am trying to get my books o it.  When I try to open them in ADE I got the unlock code message.  I have tried using the credit card number i have on file on B&N but have not been able to do this successfully.  Does it matter that I had a gift card on file (in addition to the credit card) that was sometimes used?  I can't figure out what else might be keeping this from working.  Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

pmm1963 wrote:

I have tried using the credit card number i have on file on B&N but have not been able to do this successfully.  Does it matter that I had a gift card on file (in addition to the credit card) that was sometimes used?

No, the gift card doesn't matter.

Go to this page: https://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/account/op.asp?x=&step=mainStage&UIAction=viewWallet

That will show you the credit card(s) you have on file at B&N. The "default credit card" is the one used for the encryption when you download. Then look at the right side of the page, under "Personal Information". The name that appears there is the name that was used for the encryption.

The biggest problem people have is they enter the name from the credit card, but they need to enter the name from their B&N account.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Also use no middle initials for the name.
New User
BillPA
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing this accurate information.  I too want to open a B&N epub book in ADE because I need to copy and paste text, something not possible with the B&N reader.  And the user name is, indeed, not the B&N username, but the name on the billing address.  And the credit card number used for the purchase is, indeed, the unlock code, not the default user credit card.

Interesting, after a long call with B&N Nook book tech support, I was told that the only solution was to use the B&N reader for a pc, clearly not the whole truth.  Also I regularly use a Linux computer, and the B&N reader will not work in Linux.

Thanks again for the great information. It may help many people.

Reader 2
MV16
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks!:smileyhappy: