Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

Unsolicited Sample

Does B&N sent out unasked for samples of books?  One showed up when I got home today and no one else has access to my account, my home, or any of my electronics.

It was a fairly recent release from Random House, but not something that would be to my taste.  And, I haven't even visited the B&N e-book site for two days, so I know I didn't do it by accident.

Thanks for any help.:smileysurprised:

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: Unsolicited Sample

Looks like I got a couple too and its rather annoying.

If I wanted advertisements I would have bought a Kindle.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Hmmm...I don't have anything in my library I haven't requested. Maybe it was just a hiccup in the system somehow. I've never gotten anything I didn't request show up in my account (except for the initial free books that come with the account) What books are the samples for?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Hmmm...I don't see anything in my online NOOK Library or on my device.

Is it showing up in both for you? Which device? (N1E, NC, N2E) What title is it a sample of? Is it considered a "sample" by the B&N system and flagged as a sample, or is just one of those short files that ends up being a sample (as often seen in the free books section)?

A little more info might help.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have 3 accounts. One I purchase ebooks on and has no devices associated with it. One is for my Nook (N1E). One is for the Nook STR. Neither of the accounts with devices have credit cards associated with them. The samples showed up on the account I purchase ebooks on and the one for the Nook STR.

I believe one of the sample titles was American Gods and the other I don't remember. The samples showed up when I lauched Nook for PC and checked for new content after "purchasing" a free nookbook.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

I got them as well (the recent American Gods and one other), and others have posted before about unsolicited samples showing up.  It is annoying and it would be nice to have a setting in your online account page to elect out of these, but they don't seem to happen all that often.

You can go online and login to your account's web page and delete them from your library.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

This was a regular sample of "Conquistadora," by E. Santiago, published by Random House.  It showed up on my Nook STR when I wasn't even home.  And no one else has any access to anything of mine unless I've been hacked.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Just checked my Nook library on-line.

"American Gods (The Tenth Anniversary Edition)" by Neil Gaiman and "Then Came You" by Jennifer Weiner.have magically appeared with "Download Sample" buttons.

Both are listed as "Added: 08/22/2011"

Very interesting since that's the first time in weeks that I've turned the wi-fi on on my N2E.  I wonder if that's just coincidence.

Oh well, time to delete.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

"American Gods (The Tenth Anniversary Edition)" by Neil Gaiman and "Then Came You" by Jennifer Weiner.have magically appeared with "Download Sample" buttons.

Very interesting since that's the first time in weeks that I've turned the wi-fi on on my N2E.  I wonder if that's just coincidence.

Oh well, time to delete.

Now I'm positive that these are ads sent out by someone, probably named B&N.  They all arrived on Monday 8/22.  The one sent to me had a distant correlation to two of my recent purchases in that it was a historical novel.  But I'm a Tudor gal.

It's also starting to look like those who don't normally have their wi-fi on were the targets - namely, people don't looke at Home page suggestions.

If we want to nip this in the bud, anyone getting unwanted samples should call and e-mail B&N, disregard any claims of innocence, and tell them to knock it off.  Otherwise, it will become a weekly occurrence.  Guinea pigs, unite.:smileywink:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

DeltaT wrote:

Byteguy wrote:

Oh well, time to delete.

Now I'm positive that these are ads sent out by someone, probably named B&N.  They all arrived on Monday 8/22.  The one sent to me had a distant correlation to two of my recent purchases in that it was a historical novel.  But I'm a Tudor gal.

It's also starting to look like those who don't normally have their wi-fi on were the targets - namely, people don't looke at Home page suggestions.

If we want to nip this in the bud, anyone getting unwanted samples should call and e-mail B&N, disregard any claims of innocence, and tell them to knock it off.  Otherwise, it will become a weekly occurrence.  Guinea pigs, unite.:smileywink:

I don't have any samples and I turned my WiFi on today for the first time in months.

Contributor
sue-321
0 Kudos

I got a couple also, don't know why.  I'm not going to download them because they're not something I want.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

DeltaT wrote:

Byteguy wrote:

Oh well, time to delete.

I don't have any samples and I turned my WiFi on today for the first time in months.

Do you have a Nook STR?  When's the last time you ordered a book?  Have you ever written to an author?

Don't answer these.  They are just representative of the things that might place you in a category to get unwanted samples.

Every company you contact on the web in any way is busy figuring out a way to send you ads.  Google, Facebook, everyone.  But not one of them will ever tell you the criteria.

Even the Facebook "Like" button is under legal fire for invasion of privacy with unwanted ads.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

sue-321 wrote:

I got a couple also, don't know why.  I'm not going to download them because they're not something I want.

What was the date on yours?

Reader 4
capriccio
0 Kudos

I found these in my library this afternoon and promptly fired off an email to B&N asking that the feature be removed from my account.  I'm already borderline dissatisfied with the Simple Touch because the home page is mostly B&N recommendations (I second the comment about buying the Kindle if I wanted samples).  I did get a quick personal, though generic, response from customer service.  I understand that the Nook Color group was able to get their unsolicited samples removed by communicating forcefully with customer service, I think we should do the same.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

These same samples came through to all the NC owners when they updated their firmware this morning.  We didn't get unsolicited samples removed.  We got the option to archive a specific sample added so we can now remove it if we choose to.

Sam said earlier today (on the NC boards) that B&N changes the sample offerings that are automatically offered every so often.  They are for everyone and not a select few who behave a certain way.

There needs to be a way to opt out of these automatic sample offerings.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

capriccio wrote:

I found these in my library this afternoon and promptly fired off an email to B&N asking that the feature be removed from my account.  I'm already borderline dissatisfied with the Simple Touch because the home page is mostly B&N recommendations (I second the comment about buying the Kindle if I wanted samples).  I did get a quick personal, though generic, response from customer service.  I understand that the Nook Color group was able to get their unsolicited samples removed by communicating forcefully with customer service, I think we should do the same.

I read about the Color Nook users getting that concession when I was researching this problem, before my first post on this problem.  Thank you for confirming it, for writing to CS, and for letting us know that negative reinforcement worked on the NC.

After two calls to CS, I sent a plainly worded e-mail and got the same generic reply.  I'm so glad to see that this thread is getting some great people to respond.

So far, it seems to be Nook STR users.  NookSTR's unite.  No unwanted samples!  Unless each one comes with a 50 cent rebate on my next Nook purchase over $10.00.:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

These same samples came through to all the NC owners when they updated their firmware this morning.  We didn't get unsolicited samples removed.  We got the option to archive a specific sample added so we can now remove it if we choose to.

Sam said earlier today (on the NC boards) that B&N changes the sample offerings that are automatically offered every so often.  They are for everyone and not a select few who behave a certain way.

There needs to be a way to opt out of these automatic sample offerings.

They're getting smarter with the Nook STR, and they do need to provide a way to opt out.  Or opt in.  As I said, they can send me a sample a week, if I get a rebate for just looking at them.

B&N doesn't understand how advertising works.  If a company pushes something at me, I am entitled to a reward just for looking at it.  But if they push too much at me, I change the channel.

A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A
0 Kudos

The same is happening on the N1E. Received an unsolicited sample of "Conquistadora" with my book purchase around 1:30 am this morning. Sincerely hope B&N stops doing this or gives a choice to opt out of this.
Correspondent
ilexq
0 Kudos

Yeah, this is really, really NOT cool. It's hard enough to organize the books I actually own without having to deal with random samples. Like someone else said - if I wanted unsolicited crap on my nook, I would have gone with the low-end kindle. 

Seriously, BN - get it together!

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A3A wrote:
The same is happening on the N1E. Received an unsolicited sample of "Conquistadora" with my book purchase around 1:30 am this morning. Sincerely hope B&N stops doing this or gives a choice to opt out of this.

That's the sample I got.  I am vindicated.

Really, send B&N CS an e-mail that this practice could send you to another vendor.

EDT: spelling