Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

Update Suggestion for v1.8

I have one final update request for the N1E. Get rid of the games and browser and return the N1E bac to what it originally was intended to be, an ereader.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

Re: Update Suggestion for v1.8

Won't happen, for many reasons, but chief among them is that people who bought the NOOK because these features existed would be rightfully upset if B&N removed the features. Then there's the fact that it's not likely there will be any more updates, beyond necessary bug fixes or network interface changes. Besides, beyond a little more storage space, removing these features wouldn't gain you anything. If you don't use these features, just ignore the fact that they are there.

In the meantime, people are screaming for these features to be added to the N2E. You can't please everybody. :smileysad:

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Reader 4
woodsmeister

You'll have to pry my sudoku from my cold, dead hands.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

woodsmeister wrote:

You'll have to pry my sudoku from my cold, dead hands.

LOL, too funny!!

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

You can't be serious guys! Last month all we heard about was upgrading to v1.6. Now we get to listen  to it all over again for the V1.8. They already have out NC and Nook2. What makes you think you'll even see another upgrade. Even the 1.7 was only so you could use a memory disk higher than 4gb. Nothing to improve the Nook itself. They've done all they have for Nook1. Now they'll only keep the maintenance up. Sorry guys didn't mean to pop your bubble.:smileysad:

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

KeithK wrote:

I have one final update request for the N1E. Get rid of the games and browser and return the N1E bac to what it originally was intended to be, an ereader.

I have no idea why I am so curious I find myself having to ask but...

Why do you care?  it doesn't (as far as I can tell) impact ANY of the ereader functionality, performance, or really anything in the least.

I guess maybe the only thing one might argue is it would free space on the nook to hold MORE books, but if you are in that much of a need to hold even more than 1,000+ books get a 2gb card for $4.00

sorry again for asking, but I just find myself wondering why this is something bothering you so much.  what is the rationale

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

Even though I'm sure we'll never see any additional functionality on the N1E, one can always hope.

So, If I could pick one thing to wish for, it would be the ability to access the Nook wirelessly over the network instead of using a USB cable.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

GetLostInABook wrote:

Even though I'm sure we'll never see any additional functionality on the N1E, one can always hope.

So, If I could pick one thing to wish for, it would be the ability to access the Nook wirelessly over the network instead of using a USB cable.

Will it not connect to your router?  What problems are you having?

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

GetLostInABook wrote:

do you mean the file folders like the music folders, picture folders?

otherwise I am also confused by what you are saying.  what do you mean by 'acess the nook'

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

GetLostInABook wrote:

You didn't specify. If you could pick one thing to wish for? Are we talking about being granted a wish for the Nook or a general wish?(LOL) Because if I was granted a wish it wouldn't be that!:smileyvery-happy:

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
GetLostInABook

RSC_Nook wrote:

GetLostInABook wrote:

do you mean the file folders like the music folders, picture folders?

otherwise I am also confused by what you are saying.  what do you mean by 'acess the nook'

I was unclear - I do mean access the file folders so that I add new books, wallpaper, audio wirelessly instead of hooking up the USB cable.  That would also allow my backup server to pull a backup of all my books wirelessly.

GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

Tess75 wrote:

GetLostInABook wrote:

You didn't specify. If you could pick one thing to wish for? Are we talking about being granted a wish for the Nook or a general wish?(LOL) Because if I was granted a wish it wouldn't be that!:smileyvery-happy:

That would be my wish in the context of v1.8

If I could have a general wish, it would be for a magic wallet that always had just the right amount of money for the given situation.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

I would still like "Last Page Read" back.  And I want unshelved books listed at the beginning of the shelves.  I stopped shelving books because I had to page through hundreds of books to get to the unshelved ones. 

One of the selling points was that they would continue to make changes to the software because it was android.  I read that several places.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

I would still like "Last Page Read" back.  And I want unshelved books listed at the beginning of the shelves.  I stopped shelving books because I had to page through hundreds of books to get to the unshelved ones. 

One of the selling points was that they would continue to make changes to the software because it was android.  I read that several places.

Create a shelf called End or Bottom.  Put 1 random book on it.  Make sure it is your last shelf.  When you bring on new books, use Go To and go to your last shelf.  You should see your new books, sometimes depending on how many you have, you need to use your arrow to go to the next page(s).  You have to keep doing the Go To shelf each time, but it takes you to the end where your unshelved books are.  Hope this makes sense :smileyhappy:.

I wish unshelved books would show up as bold when the big list of books comes up after shelving one, then you could just go down the line, and shelve them. 

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

Good idea - but I shouldn't have to do that.  I'm not sure if I'll do that or not - I now have 100 or so unshelved books......maybe that would be a good rainy day activitiy.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante

ellsbells930 wrote:

Good idea - but I shouldn't have to do that.  I'm not sure if I'll do that or not - I now have 100 or so unshelved books......maybe that would be a good rainy day activitiy.

Definitely a rainy day activity for that way of doing it.  I went crazy one day and loaded about 30-50 books, and I kept thinking am I done yet, as I was shelving them all :smileyhappy:.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Try this:  When you download a new book, go to Change view in your library and then Hide shelves, Sort by--Most recent.

Your newest downloads will pop to the top where you can easily put them on shelves.

This method still requires some manuvering via touch screen taps, but no scrolling--other than getting to Change view.

I have found this to be the easiest way to shelve new titles, and many thanks to the person who discovered it and posted it here months ago.  (Sorry I can't remember who that was!) :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

LibroAmante wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

Definitely a rainy day activity for that way of doing it.  I went crazy one day and loaded about 30-50 books, and I kept thinking am I done yet, as I was shelving them all :smileyhappy:.

I hear you loud and clear I had like twenty pages of books to shelf. Then finding out that even when you put the books in order on the shelf they didn't stay that way.

I recently had to re-register my Nook because my email address change. Not only do I now have to shelf everything again, but I also lost a lot of by books that CS is trying to blame me for not having the funds available at time of service. I had these books for almost two years and thats the best they could come up with.

If they could come up with an easier way to shelve that would be nice. Not only is it time consuming it also takes a tole on your battery life.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

Try this:  When you download a new book, go to Change view in your library and then Hide shelves, Sort by--Most recent.

Your newest downloads will pop to the top where you can easily put them on shelves.

This method still requires some manuvering via touch screen taps, but no scrolling--other than getting to Change view.

I have found this to be the easiest way to shelve new titles, and many thanks to the person who discovered it and posted it here months ago.  (Sorry I can't remember who that was!) :smileyhappy:

Thank you for this post, now I know why it didn't work when I tried it the other day.  I needed to hide the shelves

Rav_Bunneh

I taught my nook n1e how to do the dishes and walk the dog. Sadly, however, it refuses to clean its room unless I pitch a fit. So I'm taking away my nooks internet until it learns some manors.