Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Re: Update released 4/23/2010

Araya213 wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Araya213 wrote:

No goto page or title search.  

Also, I find it funny that the update was released and we still haven't heard an official word of it's existence.  B&N's communication skills are mind bogglingly bad.

It's also, you know, midnight on the Eastern coast (where's BN's offices are). Unless you think Mr. Snaz the Janitor should be hopping on the website to inform you that someone leaked the update your expectations are WAY overboard.

I don't see anywhere where I said they should divulge this information right this minute, I'm saying they should have done it a week ago, two weeks ago maybe.  They have people that are very dissatisfied with their product and they leave us all completely in the dark.  I managed to snatch the update before they took it down.  I'm running an operating system on my Nook that doesn't officially exist!  If you don't see that as a communications problem that's fine, but I am not satisfied one bit.

Uh, they've been blasting the fact that they're going to be an update this week to fix all sorts of bugs since last weekend pretty much everywhere (on these forums, on their FB/Twitter, in press releases). Maybe I missed something.

Frequent Contributor
Araya213
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Araya213 wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Araya213 wrote:

No goto page or title search.  

Also, I find it funny that the update was released and we still haven't heard an official word of it's existence.  B&N's communication skills are mind bogglingly bad.

It's also, you know, midnight on the Eastern coast (where's BN's offices are). Unless you think Mr. Snaz the Janitor should be hopping on the website to inform you that someone leaked the update your expectations are WAY overboard.

I don't see anywhere where I said they should divulge this information right this minute, I'm saying they should have done it a week ago, two weeks ago maybe.  They have people that are very dissatisfied with their product and they leave us all completely in the dark.  I managed to snatch the update before they took it down.  I'm running an operating system on my Nook that doesn't officially exist!  If you don't see that as a communications problem that's fine, but I am not satisfied one bit.

Uh, they've been blasting the fact that they're going to be an update this week to fix all sorts of bugs since last weekend pretty much everywhere (on these forums, on their FB/Twitter, in press releases). Maybe I missed something.

Nothing was ever substantiated, no details were given.  There was no official press release, there was an interview or two with a couple of lines mentioning bug fixes and web browsing, but all that is just rumor mill stuff, not worthy of credibility.  Unless I missed something.  I don't watch their FB or Twitter, but they have a perfectly good website where they could tell us things like this.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Facebook

These forums (by an admin)

Now they haven't released any hard patch notes or anything like that yet, I'll give you that. But it's not like they're trying to sneak an update on everyone.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Ugh.  New update sucks hard anyway.  They should take it back and fix it before the unleash it on the general public.  Seriously considering switching back to 1.2.  At least then I wouldn't have to look at the stupid "Games" button every time I turn the thing on.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Heh ... the advantage of being outside the 3G coverage.  I woke up this morning (here -- it's late evening back in the States) to discover 470 posts directly or indirectly related to the the v1.3 release.

Hopefully, by the time I get home next week v1..3.1 will be out.  :smileysurprised:

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Ugh.  New update sucks hard anyway.  They should take it back and fix it before the unleash it on the general public.  Seriously considering switching back to 1.2.  At least then I wouldn't have to look at the stupid "Games" button every time I turn the thing on.

I'll second that.  Also, I couldn't get the browser to load these forums.  Also considering reloading 1.2 because the early claims that page-turning was faster - if it's true, I'm not seeing it.  Not significantly faster, if at all.  But I'm not unhappy about the speed anyway.

If we reload 1.2, is the damn thing going to try and download and install 1.3 or 1.4 or whatever every time we turn off airplane mode?  Is there an "Ignore B&N mode?"  They seem to have an "Ignore Customer Mode."

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Contributor
dabates
0 Kudos

Since I was late to the 1 dot 3 party last night, i waited this am.. it's downloading wirelessly right now and it seems the FAQ and support page has been updated too.. 

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Hmm, mine is connected to our wifi and it's not downloading the update. We don't get the 3G.  For some reason I am intimidated to sideload it.

Linda

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Try checking for new B&N content.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Hey the Chess game is pretty cool.  By the way I have problem with my Wifi after the Update.  Plus it put a new buttom for Wifi on mine.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Contributor
nookwormJT
0 Kudos

Haven't been into a B+N recently, and travelling tomorrow so not likely to do so for at least another week.  Honestly, now a bit reluctant to visit a B+N store because I have been happy with my nook since updating to 1.2 in February.  I don't want Facebook anywhere, especially on my nook and definitely don't want games - I don't use my cell phone for that so why bung up my nook with such trivialities?  My nook is for my books; wish they could have left it at that!  Thanks to everyone, though, for the insights.  Without this community we'd be very much in the dark.

Frequent Contributor
Adenium
0 Kudos

Hmm..I too would have preferred a focus on improving the ereader functionality rather than games and web access.  But, since it's there I just tried it and was excited to be able to open yahoo mail (laboriously slow, but it got there).   However, I got booted out and it went to a wallpaper screen three times as I tried to compose a message.  So, I think that will be reserved for emergencies.  It didn't seem too happy with CNN either.   Ah well.  Back to regular reading.  Haven't seen any difference in page turn speeds, but it wasn't that big a deal before.  

The GO TO page function would have been glorious, but why would B&N listen to their existing customers?  What a concept. 

Frequent Contributor
Adenium
0 Kudos

Oh and for those having issues with the download.....mine was acting all funky this morning and kept showing wifi disconnected...then I'd go into wifi in settings and hit connect and it would say connected on the touchscreen but not on the e-ink.  Then I'd go back out to the menu, go back into settings, and it would be disconnected again.  Repeat 10x.  It did, however, manage to tell me there was an update waiting....it just didn't download it.

Finally shut down the nook, restarted it and voila...kept a connection and downloaded in a few minutes.  Took about 5 minutes to finish starting up again which was worrisome, but it's working now.  Just seems the beta browser is very weak and buggy, so I'll stay away from that.