Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
mackyks
0 Kudos

Updates

I have the nook and can't get the 1.5 update anyone have any ideas?

I tried to download on my laptop and just got a file that went to notebook and I couldn't open it.

New User
gmsue
0 Kudos

Re: Updates

I am having the EXACT same trouble.  Can't get 1.5   Tried everything I know to do.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Nook Classic or Nook Color?

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Once you download it onto your pc connect your nook to the computer, copy the file and paste it onto your nook drive.

Nook will automatically read it.

Contributor
kcmusiclady
0 Kudos

No, I've done that 3 times now and it says that the file is on my nook, but it never automatically turned off and on and it still shows only 1.4 on my settings.

Been hassling with this for 24 hours now. 

carolynviola
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

mackyks wrote:

I have the nook and can't get the 1.5 update anyone have any ideas?

I tried to download on my laptop and just got a file that went to notebook and I couldn't open it.

The "unopened" update file should be either downloaded directly into NOOK via a Wifi connection or sideloaded into NOOK via a USB connection.  Once the file is on NOOK, the installation begins automatically, without "opening" the file.

Sounds as if you attempted a manual download/installation.  Go to  the link below for the download and instructions.  Instructions for manual download are under "Get Version 1.5 Today."  I left this visible on screen as I performed the download and installation.  Worked like a charm. 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-support-software-updates/379002493/?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds...

Contributor
ClambRun
0 Kudos

After you have downloaded the update from the BN website be sure to copy the update to the root of your Nook.  Do not copy the file to any of the folders.

Reader 2
nesman89
0 Kudos

Are you trying to apply the update on a Mac?  I tried following the steps exactly using my mac and it didn't work.  I then tried the exact same way on my PC and it worked the very first time.  just my .02

Reader
mackyks
0 Kudos

Thanks. I'll try later

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Some tips for side-loading firmware updates:

1) The name of your firmware update file is VERY IMPORTANT. When you attempt to download a file multiple times your computer or web browser might append a number to the file name. For example the file signed_bravo_update.dat  might be named signed_bravo_update(2).dat. If this happens to you just rename the file to signed_bravo_update.dat before copying it to the NOOK.

2) Copy the file to the top level of your NOOK drive. Do NOT place it in any of the sub folders on the NOOK.

3) After copying the file, simply eject the NOOK from your computer. Until you eject the NOOK it will not start the update.

4) IMPORTANT, make sure your NOOK is fully charged before attempting to update it, if the battery dies in the middle of the update process you are in for a major headache trying to restore function to your NOOK.

Reader 4
LoveMyNookAY
0 Kudos

I had the same problem and finally figured out how to update today.  I had followed the directions carefully and it still wasn't updating.  When I went to my download folder I got rid of the (2) added to the end of the file and still no luck.  What I did find was that I had the same file name dated June 2010 when I did an update last summer.  I deleted the old file from the download folder and redownloaded the file and my Nook is currently updating!!!

Reader
dawn38MO
0 Kudos

Thanks!!!  After trying off and on for several weeks, this fixed it for me.  Mine had a (4) after it.