Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
woocher
0 Kudos

Using an external keyboard with nook

Hi, Is it possible to plug an external keyboard into the nook and use it as a word processor? I know that there are tricky ways in which you can use Kindle as a word processor but I read nothing about being able to connect an external keybaord to it and it seemed you could only write using google docs. I think if either nook or kindle had an option to connect a normal keyboard to their machines and have software inside similar to microsoft word then it would be a real advantage to writers such as myself who would like something very portable other than a laptop for writing on the go. The no glare screen is also an advantage as we would not burn our retinae out sitting in front of a screen for hours.

Correspondent
Rose_Bee
0 Kudos

Re: Using an external keyboard with nook

Maybe, if you were to void your warranty, erase the B&N software, and 'root' it to turn it into an e-ink android tablet.

I don't think even the Nook Color could do this without being 'rooted'.

They're e-readers, not tablet computers or word processors. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

The refresh rate of eink is terrible and makes this an (almost?) unworkable idea.  Add to that constantly refreshing the page would kill the battery.  

Maybe when the pricing of Mirasol and/or Liquavista comes downa a tablet-like device with one of their e-paper-like displays will be produced and will be able to do this.

It wouldn't work (well?) (at all?) on an eink device, though.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Hi, Is it possible to plug an external keyboard into the nook and use it as a word processor?

Short answer:  No.  I am sure someone somewhere will figure out some way to do it and void their warrantee in the process, but basically, no.  The USB port on the Nook is a type B or peripheral device port.  It has no power and only very basic drivers.  The USB port on a computer is a type A or host and supply power and can load any number of drivers. To connect a B device to a B device, you must have a power source (such as an externally powered hub) and the B device must be able to load the correct drivers and control the communications session.  This is one of the more frustrating aspects of the USB standard. 

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

My understanding is that Android tablets have the same USB issues as I just described.  The Android OS does not support USB Type A (host) configuration.  Google has supposedly stated they have no plans to give Android this capability.  Short of a docking station or possibly a Bluetooth connection, it does not look like it will work.