Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
kristy_dobson
0 Kudos

Using while overseas

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing a Nook but I split my time between the US and the UK.  I have home internet broadband in both countries but was wondering if I could connect my Nook in the UK via my broadband?

Is this possible?  Also, which version of the Nook would I need in order to connect in the British home broadband?

Kristy

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

Re: Using while overseas

You say you have broadband, but you need a wifi (wireless) router to use nook wifi.  You would only be able to use wifi overseas, so there's no reason to get the 3G model unless you think you would use 3G while in the states.

Additional note - you can use your nook while overseas to read books and to connect (via wifi) to the books currently in your B&N library.  However, you cannot "officially" purchase new books from B&N while overseas, due to copyright limitations on B&N to sell books outside of the US.  There are a few workarounds to this, some more "adventurous" than others:

1.  Buy books from other sources that are compatible and that are authorized to sell overseas, and then sideload them (via computer) to your nook.  I believe there are a few UK retailers, like WH Smith and Waterstones, that sell compatible books specifically in the UK.

2.  Have a trusted family member back in the US log in to your account and purchase books at B&N on your account - these will then sync via wifi, since they will be in your library.  Since you're giving them access to your B&N account (and credit card info), this should be someone you trust not to purchase non e-book stuff via your account.

3.  Set up a VPN or something similar to "trick" your computer into thinking that it's in the US - there are additional instructions on this sort of thing elsewhere on the board - I've never done it, so I can't give detailed instructions.  

Distinguished Correspondent
BelgianAlien
0 Kudos

Re: Using while overseas

If you have a computer you leave hooked up to the internet in the US, you can use a free service like logmein.com or something similar to remote log in to your computer in the US. Purchase your books that way, then update your B&N Library on the WiFi in the UK.

Or... just buy a crapload of books before you leave?

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke