Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
JamesOcean

Version 1.6.0 deletes "My Documents" -- just talked to customer service

The stealth update version 1.6.0 does indeed delete everything in "My Documents" and can freeze the nook 1st edition to the point of needing to unregister and re-register.

I just got off the phone with Customer Support and they verified that "like all updates" v 1.6.0 deletes the contents of your sideloaded "My Documents" directory. 

His suggestion was to make certain that you keep a backup copy of all your side-loaded files on your computer so you can re-load them after an update.  Well that is fine and dandy if I am sitting at home on my computer but what if I am reading a book at the beach -- sorry!

The worst part is that they have not even documented this side effect -- I worked in software for 20+ years and thsi would be considered an epic failure. An update should not destroy customer data -- it generally makes people upset and has them looking for a replacement. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Version 1.6.0 deletes "My Documents" -- just talked to customer service

JamesOcean wrote:

I just got off the phone with Customer Support and they verified that "like all updates" v 1.6.0 deletes the contents of your sideloaded "My Documents" directory.  

That particular customer support agent was a moron.

The contents of the "My Documents" directory have not ben deleted.  If you navigate via Windows Explorer to your SD card, all of your documents are still present.  For whatever reason, a small number (so far) of us have been unable to view, open, access contents on said SD card, but even your "My Settings" verifies that the data is still present.

PIA?  Oh yes.  But B&N didn't cause you to actually lose any data.

I've moved the book I was reading back to the main memory of NOOK vs. SD card and am waiting to hear what happens.  If they don't fix it, I'll be annoyed, absolutely, but it's misspeaking to say they've caused you to actually lose any content.

This update merely (merely?) caused NOOK to be unable to access the data.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

JamesOcean wrote:

That particular customer support agent was a moron.

Also, this has never happened before.  None of the previous updates had this effect, so apparently he was just making stuff up.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Also, this has never happened before.  None of the previous updates had this effect, so apparently he was just making stuff up.

Very true.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Very true.

This generally happens when the customer support rep is also not informed of what is going on. I'm afraid it's fairly typical of all companies anymore.

Contributor
JamesOcean
0 Kudos

This was my first Update experience with a nook.

But as a software engineer for 20+ years, I still find the idea that an upgrade would delete customer data as an epic failure.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

JamesOcean wrote:

This was my first Update experience with a nook.

But as a software engineer for 20+ years, I still find the idea that an upgrade would delete customer data as an epic failure.

Except from what others are reporting, it didn't delete the data, it's still there, the Nook, for some reason, is having trouble reading it.  But those who are having problems have reported when they look at the card, all the data is still there.

New User
AndrewPalmer
0 Kudos

I found that...

i) The internal "My Documents" got deleted along with all my shelves.

ii) The microSD "My Documents" didn't get deleted.

iii) But the nook can't read the card. It seems to think the 8GB card is only 120 MB in size

iv) Plugging into a PC via USB and both storage areas are seen.

Regards,

Andrew

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

AndrewPalmer wrote:

I found that...

i) The internal "My Documents" got deleted along with all my shelves.

ii) The microSD "My Documents" didn't get deleted.

iii) But the nook can't read the card. It seems to think the 8GB card is only 120 MB in size

iv) Plugging into a PC via USB and both storage areas are seen.

Regards,

Andrew

You're the first to report this.  Ouch.  

Sorry.

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

Nothing was deleted from my Nook, everything in My Documents is there and available. However, the Nook did download that directory twice until it finally stayed put. I was reading a book in My Documents before the update and navigated back there after the update finished. Got the No Items note on an otherwise blank page, then the Loading message, then all of the books and other docs appeared. I went back to My BN Library to check for any new BN items. Then I returned to My Documents, to No Items once again. I waited a few seconds, and My Documents loaded. I let the Nook fall asleep, woke it up and everything is there - no more reloading - and working normally. 

Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

Our engineers are investigating the issues that people are seeing with the 1.6 update. 

If you're seeing a problem after the 1.6 update, can you help us with a bit more information about the problem?

1. What size is your microSD card?

2. What is the brand of the card?
3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being?

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card?

5. How many individual books do you have on the card?

6. What other types of files do you have on the card?

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything?

We do know that after booting up, the NOOK will need to rescan the microSD card.  If you have a large number of files on the card, the scan can take quite long (in some cases 30+ minutes).  During the period that the device is scanning, it will display "No Items" in the library for "My Documents".  Occasionally the popup dialog that tells you that a scan is going on will not display.

Reminder:  If you remove your microSD card, you'll need to reboot your device after reinserting it. 

Thanks for your help,

-Jeffrey

NOOK Program Management

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Response moved to a more constructive thread.  :smileywink:

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB

Ya_Ya wrote:
<snip> 

I've moved the book I was reading back to the main memory of NOOK vs. SD card and am waiting to hear what happens.  If they don't fix it, I'll be annoyed, absolutely, but it's misspeaking to say they've caused you to actually lose any content.

I did the same thing with the book I was reading. Still shows up on the correct page even. Hope they get this figured out though. 

LisaB

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:
<snip> 

Actually, they did more than caused Nook to be unable to access the data.  If there is no fix and 1.6 causes all Nooks not to be able to read any SD cards, they have just majorly changed (deleted) functionality of the nook.  They have continually marketed it with its ability to expand the number of items you can have on your nook via the card.  Without a fix, they are probably opening themselves up to huge negative PR at the least at a time when they are trying to market a new device.
Contributor
JamesOcean
0 Kudos

1. What size is your microSD card? 8 GBytes

2. What is the brand of the card?  SanDisk
3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being?

Reported as 242.11 MBytes but reads as 7.39 GBytes from my Computer

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card?

68 MBytes from Settings on Nook

On my PC, it shows as having used 830 MBytes

5. How many individual books do you have on the card?

1984 files

6. What other types of files do you have on the card?

PDFs of fairly large files from work -- I use my Nook as a portable filing system.

PDFs of every Boy Scout Merit Badge Book

No audio or MP3 files.

At least 1200 are Epub Public Domain files mainly downloaded from Project Guttenburg

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything?

Only find the items loaded on the internal disk in My Documents there.  Everything on the MicroSD card is not visible..

After moving my Boy Scout Merit Badge PDFs from the MicroSD card to the internal memory they showed up after a refresh.

Then I moved them back to my MicroSD card and they again disappeared.

Doing a Scandisk on the MicroSD Card did nothing.

I copied all my files off the MicroSD card, reformatted the card using quickformat and copied them back -- they were still not found.  I powered down my Nook and restarted it -- still not found.

I opened the Nook, Rebooted it without the MicroSD Card, then powered it down and re-installed the MicroSD Card.  The Nook Still seews it as only being 242 MBytes.

I removed the MicroSD card, and did a full format on it from my PC -- not inside the Nook but inside an SD adapter -- re-inserted the MicorSD card into the Nook and it still only sees 242.11 MBytes from the Settings page.

If you need any further diagnostics email me at my home email karlajames@sbcglobal.net .

The hard part being that I'll now have ot start luggin around an armful of paper because I cannot get to the PDFs on my Nook.

It looks like somebody in the Software QA department needs a more rigorous testbed -- especailly one that takes into account people like myself who use the Nook as a filing cabinet for work.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Actually, they did more than caused Nook to be unable to access the data.  If there is no fix and 1.6 causes all Nooks not to be able to read any SD cards, they have just majorly changed (deleted) functionality of the nook. 

First, this hasn't affected everyone that updated.  A few users have reported, since my report of it FUBARing my SD card, that theirs are working fine.  The number reporting no problems is smaller than those of us reporting being affected, but there's two or three here posting which translates to some number unaffected in the real world.  Especially given that people report problems at a far higher percentage than people report no problems.

The only change has been the NOOK's ability to see the SD Card.  All they did was cause N1E to be unable to access data on the SD card.  There are ramifications to the change, yes.  Regardless, the only change made was that the SD cards which were previously seen are no longer seen.  

They have not deleted any content, regardless of how much someone rants, screams, shouts or claims it to be so.  The content is still there.  It's just not (currently) accessible.

This clearly wasn't the intention of the update, and it does mean that the device is less useful, but that's the end result of the change, not a change in itself. 

Frankly, I don't think this will have much marketing ramification at all.  It happened to the the old, retired, nothing NOOK.  The Nobody - in the media - cares about it any longer, NOOK.  Yes, the people it affects will be pissed.  But if nobody in the media picks up on it, the country won't know that some users are pissed.  :smileywink:

(And the fact that nobody cares about this device any more, might mean this foul up is less likely to be fixed...  That's an issue for us, but I doubt it will affect B&N much.  They've had overwhelmingly good press on N2E and this is the old thing, not the great new thing.  The NOOKColor wipe that did affect end-user data didn't get much press and didn't widely affect B&N outside of those it affected.)

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Actually, they did more than caused Nook to be unable to access the data.  If there is no fix and 1.6 causes all Nooks not to be able to read any SD cards, they have just majorly changed (deleted) functionality of the nook. 

This clearly wasn't the intention of the update, and it does mean that the device is less useful, but that's the end result of the change, not a change in itself. 

Not sure about anyone else's definition of "less useful" but being limited to the storage that is on the onboard card when expansion was limitless before to me makes the device less useful.

Or am I missing something?  Can you use a brand new card with 1.6 with no problems?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

First, this hasn't affected everyone that updated.  A few users have reported, since my report of it FUBARing my SD card, that theirs are working fine.  The number reporting no problems is smaller than those of us reporting being affected, but there's two or three here posting which translates to some number unaffected in the real world.  Especially given that people report problems at a far higher percentage than people report no problems.

Mine updated without a problem.  I have a 2GB SD card and everything seems to be okay.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Not sure about anyone else's definition of "less useful" but being limited to the storage that is on the onboard card when expansion was limitless before to me makes the device less useful.

Or am I missing something?  Can you use a brand new card with 1.6 with no problems?

Some people are using old cards just fine with v1.6.  I can't use any card with v1.6

I completely agree that the device is less useful now.  The sofware update changed the device's ability to see SD cards and that change has affected other things, but the change is solely the device's ability to access the SD card.  That sucks.  But the other things you talk about are effects of the change, not changes.  They're effects of the problem, not stand-alone problems themselves.

Maybe it's just semantics.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It may be semantics but the effects of the change are what is experienced by the consumer not the change.  If I swing my fist intending to miss you but instead I hit you in the jaw, I hit you.  It doesn't matter if I was intending to miss you or hit the guy behind you, you experienced my hitting you.  Therefore the intended consequence doesn't matter because reality is what actually happened.

In your case the change FUBAR'd your device regardless of the intent.

Having said that, I haven't given up on BN fixing it.  I am just saying if they don't fix it they will likely have a big problem.  Other issues that the press hasn't picked up on were fixed or mostly fixed.  I would definitely recommend to a friend NOT getting a nook of any type if the last update ever for my device was one the FUBAR'd it.