Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
acov2184
0 Kudos

WANT a Nook! Color owners - some questions before I buy

I'm going to be investing in a Nook very shortly, but I'm kind of stuck as to whether to get an original Nook or a Nook Color.  I want to use it for reading a lot, but I LOVE the look of the Nook Color and all the extra stuff you can do with it.  I don't have a smartphone, so this would be kind of like my "toy" smiley  My question:  is the LCD screen on the color more difficult to read with?  Do you have eye strain?  And is it hard to read in direct sunlight?  I love to read outside in the summer, so this might be an issue.

And now, I hear about a new version announced at the end of the month!  I don't know whether to get one now or wait for the big announcement......The waiting could kill me!!

Opinions?

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

Re: WANT a Nook! Color owners - some questions before I buy

If you wondered about eye strain e-ink is the better screen for you.  I would suggest if a new Nook classic maybe coming out though you may want to wait because if the rumor is true the new model will be cheaper then the current one that is out right now.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@acov2184

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

You definitely should go by a B&N store and test drive both.  See how you like the navigation on both, and check out the NookColor screen to see whether you would find it harsh on your eyes or not.

Be aware that Nook really is only an eReader -- a couple of games and a lame web browser don't change that, and you shouldn't expect it to change.  For a lot of us, that's exactly what we want.  It sounds, though, like you're at least as attracted by the tablet aspects of the NookColor.  In that case, Nook could be frustrating for you, and NookColor is worth a good long look.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

acov2184 wrote:

I'm going to be investing in a Nook very shortly, but I'm kind of stuck as to whether to get an original Nook or a Nook Color.  I want to use it for reading a lot, but I LOVE the look of the Nook Color and all the extra stuff you can do with it.  I don't have a smartphone, so this would be kind of like my "toy" smiley  My question:  is the LCD screen on the color more difficult to read with?  Do you have eye strain?  And is it hard to read in direct sunlight?  I love to read outside in the summer, so this might be an issue.

And now, I hear about a new version announced at the end of the month!  I don't know whether to get one now or wait for the big announcement......The waiting could kill me!!

Opinions?

I read my nook color outside in the bright sunlight with no problem and no glare at all. I was surprised that it works as well as my 3gWiFi.  

On the nook color board you can get more answers to you questions by people who have one, you are on the e ink board.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Frequent Contributor
acov2184
0 Kudos

eeek!  Thanks for the direction, I didn't realize there was a Nook color board!  I'll pop on over there as well. 

Frequent Contributor
Tero
0 Kudos

I think if you read a lot and this is mainly for reading books, e ink is pretty good. But I do not personally have a problem with Nook Color, I can read it 1-2 hours with no problem.

That said, I like to finish a book on one or the other. I do not like to go back and forth between the two for a week, if I have two books on two devices. It takes a little more getting used to for the Color.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

acov2184 wrote:

Opinions?

I'd definitely wait until the end of the month.  No one knows what B&H is planning to announce.  There's speculation that it could be a 3G version of the Nook Color.  Or it could be a thinner, faster version of the orignal Nook.

If you want something to play with, though, the original Nook wouldn't be a good choice as it's really good only as an e-reader (which it does very well).

On the other hand, the Nook Color is an excellent toy!

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

[ Edited ]

I have both nooks.  If you're looking for something to just read on then the nook classic is the one for you.  If you're looking for something that will do a little more then look at the nook color.  The nook color does have some additional functionality and the web browser is a lot better than on the nook classic.  If you get the anti-glare screen then there isn't really an issue reading outside if you turn the brightness up some.  I get migraines and am prone to eye strain but I have never had an issue reading on the nook color, I think the longest I've read straight through on it is about 6-7 hours.

If battery life is an issue for you then go with the nook classic as the colors life is usually only about 7-9 hours give or take depending on how you're using it and how "bright" you have the screen, you need to make a habit of plugging it in at night along with your cell phone. 

BN did just open the app store for the nook color but if you read through some of the threads on the nook color board you will fast see that a lot of them are aimed towards kids (educational, learning to read apps), this may change though as more developers submit their apps to BN for approval.  If you have kids then you will definitely benefit from the apps.  There are some for "grown ups" but not a lot.  As a previous poster mentioned - if you can go into a BN and play with both of them before making a decision, each of them have their +'s and -'s. 

As for the upcoming announcement of a new e-reader - if money's an issue you may want to wait to see what they announce on the 24th so you're not upset if you buy one now and then they come out with something else you would have liked better. Keep in mind also that whatever new device they announce may not be available for purchase until the end of the year since it is just an announcement about an upcoming product.

Frequent Contributor
Crawson1
0 Kudos

I have both.  No issue with eye strain on either.  Nook Color is very readable in sunlight -- much much better than my laptop.  Nook Classic is best for pure ereader and battery life.  I'd go with Nook Color if you want to browse Web, check email, play games, have kids.  You just have to get in the habit of recharging it regularly like you would a cell phone.

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've used a Kindle 3 (e-ink), and find that the NookColor is MUCH easier on my eyes.

The suggestion to take a look at both types at your BN store, and see which would be better for you, is a good one.

Whatever you get, I hope you love it as much as I love my NookColor.

Frequent Contributor
Danuke
0 Kudos

I just returned my nook color. I'll stay with my B&W. It performs better, and for some reason a lot of my free books ended up as corrupted files. The color's apps are limited in choice, and so are your options regarding "color" documents. Take the difference in price, save up and get an iPad for netting and all that. The nook 'classic' is an outstanding reader.
For naught doth kill a man so soon as death!
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77

After reading all of the posts, I would only be more confused as to "which" Nook to buy.  If you take all the commentary, boil it down, and serve it up, you come up with the fact that both Nook Classic and Nook Color are excellent units.

I own both, and use both on a daily basis.  I even purchased a small messenger bag that holds both, so they can go with me everywhere.  The fact that both get used everyday speaks to how different they are from each other.

Nook Classic:

1) eInk - very easy on the eyes

2) Dedicated eReader - that's about it. The web browser is clunky, and barely worth mentioning.

3) Easy to read outside

4) LONG battery life

Nook Color

1) Multi-functional, more like a tablet than an eReader

2) Quick, easy dictionary in comparison to the one on the Nook Classic

3) Social networking functions that tie your current reading in with sites like Facebook

4) Can be read in any situation, sunlight to no light, by adjusting the background color and brightness.

5) Shorter battery life due to the reactive screen.  It still lasts over 8-10 hours, and is a fair trade-off.  The battery life of my laptop computer is far shorter.

6) Can do email easily.

7) With the help of Catalyst 4 software, you can rip and load mp4 movies from DVD's (load 'em onto an micro SD card)

8) Now does Flash for net viewing, like on YouTube.

9) Multiple apps now available, some of them are pretty good too.  I love Epi, which is a recipe compilation from well-known cooking publications.

Now, as to eye strain.  Most days I can read both with no problems.  I am a detached retina patient.  When I do notice that my eyes are "tired", I can usually read on the Classic with a larger font.  The color is usually okay too, but once every couple months, I notice that I should stay away from lcd screens.  We deal with them a lot these days...cell phones, computers, etc....so I can't blame the "overload" on my color eReader.

My suggestion is to wait it out to see what the new BN eReader is.  Some people are saying it will be a Nook Color 3G (doubt that); others maintain that it will be a lighter, less-expensive Classic (possible).  I've also heard that it might also be one that is geared more towards kids, color, but a bit more durable, without the need for adult-oriented socializing on the net software.  Really, does a six-year-old need to post a FB review on Clifford the Big, Red Dog?

New User
rose59
0 Kudos

will new version be cheaper - what will be so different from nook color that is out now- can i read magizines for free

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

rose59 wrote:

will new version be cheaper - what will be so different from nook color that is out now- can i read magizines for free

You're responding to a nine month old thread. Two new Nooks have been released since then.

The Nook First Edition has been discontinued, replaced with the Nook Simple Touch. The Simple Touch is a smaller lighter reader with a longer battery life, to a great extent due to the elimination of the power hungry backlit LCD touchscreen. The touch function has been shifted to the more efficient e-Ink display. However, the battery is no longer user serviceable, the chess and Sudoku games have been eliminated and the browser is MUCH less accessible (may be limited to WiFi log-ins)

Furthermore, B&N has added a more powerful color Nook Tablet.