Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Sin_City_Reader
0 Kudos

WHOO HOO! Got A Price Adjustment

[ Edited ]

I just love Best Buy:smileyhappy:.  Looked this morning and seen the price drop on the nook, called the 1-800# and they gave me a price adjustment of $64.86 over the phone.  So you have 30 days for a price adjustment with Best Buy.

If you bought in store I think you have to go to the store, I bought my nook online and picked up in store, so they did it over the phone.

I've lost count how much money I saved, Sold kindle for $250, bought nook for $259 + tax, got a $50 gift card, got $52 bing cashback, and the $64.86 adjustment.  If I would of kept my kindle I know I had it too long to get a price adjustment from Amazon. 

I feel lucky, think I'll go play a slot machine :smileytongue:

Inspired Contributor
Fantolay
0 Kudos

Re: WHOO HOO! Got A Price Adjustment

Dang. I bought a Nook about a week ago but I don't believe B&N has any sort of price change policy- plus they would want the gift card back probably.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Sin_City_Reader wrote:

I just love Best Buy:smileyhappy:.  Looked this morning and seen the price drop on the nook, called the 1-800# and they gave me a price adjustment of $64.86 over the phone.  So if you have 30 days for a price adjustment with Best Buy.

If you bought in store I think you have to go to the store, I bought my nook online and picked up in store, so they did it over the phone.

I've lost count how much money I saved, Sold kindle for $250, bought nook for $259 + tax, got a $50 gift card, got $52 bing cashback, and the $64.86 adjustment.  If I would of kept my kindle I know I had it too long to get a price adjustment from Amazon. 

I feel lucky, think I'll go play a slot machine :smileytongue:

Well that's one good point in Best Buy's favor.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Price adjustment at B&N

Fantolay wrote:

Dang. I bought a Nook about a week ago but I don't believe B&N has any sort of price change policy- plus they would want the gift card back probably.

B&N has stated that anyone who bought at B&N and is within the 14-day return window can either call Customer Service (1-800-THE-BOOK, you know the drill) or take their NOOK and receipt back to the store and talk to the Store Manager. You will be refunded $10 (the difference between the effective $209 price after the gift card and the $199 price).

Everyone within the 14-day return window should have gotten the $50 gift card, so no complications figuring that part out.

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

Bought my Nook in April and love it.

Am not happy about the $100 price reduction, but what really gets me

is not being able to use my BN card to purchase accessories ie covers, and ebooks.

This totally sucks.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

my9cats wrote:

Bought my Nook in April and love it.

Am not happy about the $100 price reduction, but what really gets me

is not being able to use my BN card to purchase accessories ie covers, and ebooks.

This totally sucks.

Yeah, but that part has sucked from the beginning...  :smileywink:

Now they can't offer a discount on most of the books due to the agency 5 model BUT I really feel they should on nook accessories...  There is so much competition for covers (as an example) that something like that could be the deciding factor in whether or not you purchase a cover from B&N or someone else.  ESPECIALLY now since you can pick up some of the m-edge line at Best Buy for the nook.

New User
tut_tutZOOM
0 Kudos

Re: Price adjustment at B&N (NONE AVAILABLE?)

I just got off the phone with B&N customer service (called 1-800-THE-BOOK), and was told that no price adjustments are being offered, even though I'm within the 14 day return window.  I would have to either send back the NOOK or return it to a store with the gift card and then purchase it back.

I was also told that this would only be a $50 savings, which is the value of the gift card.  I corrected the customer service agent (name withheld) that it was actually $60.  I tried to be very polite, but there wasn't much consideration given.

Not upset, just a data point for others.  I may try calling again to see if this was just a misinformed agent.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

tut_tutZOOM wrote:

Not upset, just a data point for others.  I may try calling again to see if this was just a misinformed agent.

Ah, yes, Customer Service Roulette!   :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

tut_tutZOOM wrote:

Ah, yes, Customer Service Roulette!   :smileyvery-happy:

Otherwise known as Counter Intelligence...  :smileywink:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

tut_tutZOOM wrote:

I just got off the phone with B&N customer service (called 1-800-THE-BOOK), and was told that no price adjustments are being offered, even though I'm within the 14 day return window.  I would have to either send back the NOOK or return it to a store with the gift card and then purchase it back.

All I know is this article from Larry Dignan at ZDNet: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/amazons-kindle-in-crosshairs-barnes-noble-cuts-nook-prices-as-e-reader...

There are a lot of questions about nook purchases at the $259 price point. Here’s what Barnes & Noble had to say:

Also, noted that some of the comments are asking about recent purchases.  You may want let those readers know that customers who are within the 14 day return policy period can contact customer service or see their local B&N store manager. Barnes & Noble will gladly provide them with a $10 refund — the difference between the $259 purchase price, free $50 gift card, and new $199 price.

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

LOL.

I do that whenever I need info (IRS, DMV etc).

Best two out of three is the answer I go with.

If all 3 are different it's on to 4.

Sad isn't it.......

Nook Color Wallpapers
Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

Your CSR was misinformed.  My wife purchased my nook (Fathers' Day gift) last Thursday, so I took it into the store, where they explained that they would of course give me a $10 credit (my original receipt shows a discounted price of $209 plus the $50 gift card).  I was the first one who asked about it today, so it took a little while for the cashier (manager, I think) to figure out the codes, but she had a sheet that detailed the steps for the price adjustment, and said they had been briefed on it this morning.  Eventually, she refunded the $10 plus tax in cash,  She was quite helpful and nice, and apologized for the delay when the procedure took longer than expected.  Try taking it to a store, if you have that option.

Contributor
Omegamu
0 Kudos

I got a Nook as a gift on Saturday. It was bought at the local BN store, so we took the receipt and went back this afternoon to see if the price could be adjusted. We asked, and there was no problem with them agreeing to refund the difference between the old selling price ($209) and the new selling price ($199). The part that took over 20 minutes was the actual transaction to refund the difference. Turns out that the instructions that corporate sent out included using the "exchange" button, which apparently, is not on the computerized POS machines our BN store uses. It would not let them do a return and resell, either. Since we were the first people to ask about it and they had not done one before, they had to call another store for help. I am happy to report that they finally figured out a workaround, and we did indeed get the refund of the difference.
New User
tut_tutZOOM
0 Kudos

The issue was resolved with the 4th B&N CSR I spoke with last evening.  The problem seemed to be that most of them didn't know their posted return policy, so told me I was not eligible for the return or price adjustment.  When I finally found someone that looked up the viewable policy online, she agreed with me and said I would get the adjustment.  For some reason I had to be transferred to another person to do the adjustment, and was left on hold for over an hour.  The person who picked up the phone didn't know anything about my call so had to be brought up to speed, have the return policy explained all over again, etc.  Eventually, after a few more times of being placed on hold to "check on something", I was offered a $10 virtual gift card or a $10 statement credit.  I took the credit.

It really wasn't about the $10, but the principle of the thing.  Having worked in customer support myself, I recognize the need to be informed about your products and policies.  It appears that B&N has a ways to go in this regard.

Happy nooking!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

So, total time on the call was well in excess of an hour, and total saving was 10 bucks.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

So, total time on the call was well in excess of an hour, and total saving was 10 bucks.

It looks like it BUT:

Not being pissed off anymore?  PRICELESS!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Which buys you a Latte and sandwich with which to savor your victory. 

Can't be all bad.

Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

So wait....  Some of you have received a price change if within 14 day window and some have not.  What should I be armed with when I go in for info seeing I just bought mine the 12th.  Hey I want that $10 and change in tax!!!!  Was the gift card rang up as taxable????

Bummer I had to do the gift card route but at least I will spend it in books.  Would do so either way!  But $10 and tax change is something and better then nothing!

M

Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

I just called the store and they said they would honor the price adjustement.  Funny how they made it sound, if I feel it necessary!  I am sorry but $10 something is $10 something!  To me it is worth my time in line!

M

Frequent Contributor
awellsdba
0 Kudos

Yeah... I got the price adjustment too...

except...

They deducted the cost of the "free" $50 BN card... so I ended up getting $10 back...

So "Free" is... kind of... not so much...

But... the $10 was nice.