Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Want Go-to-page feature? Sign in here...

Mandroid wrote:

Another complication is font size.  Did you notice that when you change the size of the font the current and total pages changes?  I am starting to see why GoTo page is not implemented yet.  How do other ereaders handle this since it apparently is a "basic" feature?

I know how it works in the Sony, which is of course epub...

First the page numbering, as we know with epub you might be on page 271 for 3 or more page turns, with Sony it shows as follows:

• page 271
  • page 271
  • page 271-272

When the page is 271-271 if you look along the right hand margin, there is a 272 @ the beginning of the paragraph where the change takes place.  When you tell the Sony to go to page 272 it take you to the 271-272 page and there you have it.

I don't think anyone is planning on using a DTB to look for page numbers to use in the eBook, I know I'm not.  Any publisher worth anything will reindex the eBook and the TOC and that is what you would use so it doesn't matter what page the shopping list is on in the DTB.

For a book that doesn't have an index or TOC with page numbers, this is where the notes/memo function is handy on the Sony.  I have used the memo function to note this and that about a book I'm reading, including page numbers I want to return to.

I would really love to see both these functions on my nook as it's still my preferred reader.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

VelocipedeCowboy wrote:

In the vein of thinking about what other eBook readers have a "Go To Page" feature, I just downloaded an eReader for my Droid phone.  This *free* ePub reader (Aldiko) has a very usable feature to jump to a percentage of the book.  It's not rocket surgery for criminy's sake!

Another DLR fan!

Frequent Contributor
VelocipedeCowboy
0 Kudos

Heh.  Not DLR, I believe I heard it from somewhere else.  But I like to use the phrase with one of my co-workers when we come across some particularly egregiously terrible source code.

Reader 2
MDShakespeare
0 Kudos

I personally like clicking the page turner 200 times just to try and get close to a page that I am referencing. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

yasulh wrote:

Hi all!

As we have seen by now, we are still missing the go-to-page feature that many of us wanted in the update. I thought that maybe if we started a thread and specifically signed in that we want that feature, it might get someone's attention for the next update. While it has been mentioned in various threads, having it in one place (similar to the missing e-books thread) might show that there are more of us wanting it than B&N may currently think.

So, speak up here if you want B&N to add a go-to-page feature in the next update!

yasulh

Not to discourage anyone, but nope....don't want it.   I thought I did because I was used to it on my eReader software.   But in fact, doing bookmarks and so forth is just as easy.   As is going to a chapter and then paging forward or backward a bit.

NOT high on MY priority list.

Your mileage may vary.

---------
Don
Inspired Contributor
yasulh
0 Kudos

I found other reasons for a go-to-page feature....

I am reading a book that is actually a volume containing four books. As I finished the third book, I was clicking through the multiple pages of footnotes to get to the next book (a reason for a go-to-page feature, but I'm not done). As I got to page 814 in my book, my next click took me to....page 764! Yes, it went backwards many pages. It let me advance back to my furthest read (814), but every time I tried to go to 815, it took me back to 764. This book does not have the capability to advance by chapter (or next book), so I could only page forward by individual page. I eventually stopped going to the furthest point read and just started clicking forward again from page 764. This eventually let me go past 814 to where I was trying to be. This was a whole lot of work and since I was trying to go ahead of where I had already read, bookmarks were not an option. It would have been so much easier to tell my nook to just go to page 815 - or further!