Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
JenBee
0 Kudos

We're being used

I've heard that advertisers are cashing in on the popularity of e-reading. And based on what we're reading, ads are filtered in that may or may not be closed until finished. It's sad to take a good thing and ruin this way. Who's responsible for allowing readers to be taken advantage of?

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Re: We're being used

JenBee, it is a shame.  It's greed at work but unfortunately greed shows its ugly head in any type of media or electronic communication.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

JenBee wrote:

I've heard that advertisers are cashing in on the popularity of e-reading. And based on what we're reading, ads are filtered in that may or may not be closed until finished. It's sad to take a good thing and ruin this way. Who's responsible for allowing readers to be taken advantage of?

Filtering in to what?

LisaB

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

My question too. I have no idea what the OP is referring to.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

is he saying you will turn a page of a book and there will be an ad you must read before closing?

if I have to read an ad every 20 pages or so for a book I piad $14.99 (or whatever) for then I will promptly switch ereaders and kiss B&N bye bye

I doubt this is true though. 

Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

Suppose you had the option of paying $14.99 or whatever for a book without ads, or getting one free with ads?

I don't see it happening, either.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I'm still trying to figure out the original message... My head is spinning.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard

JenBee wrote:

First, the very bad grammar here makes it very difficult to figure out what you're on about. "ads are filtered in that may or may not be closed until finished" is meaningless.

However, like others, I'll assume you're upset about ads being placed in eBooks. Well, first of all, that's not the case in general. I've read about some attempts to generate revenue using ads in eBooks that are free or very cheap, but no one expects such attempts to result in you not being able to purchase ad free eBooks. Secondly, even if the "dire world" you think is coming did, the only one responsible "for allowing readers to be taken advantage of" would be the readers themselves. If (that's a big if) one thinks that ads take advantage of consumers, you as a reader still have the option to simply not read the books.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My head is spinning as well.

PERHAPS this thread should of been sponsored by Tylanol (ha ha...)

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

And I've heard that publishers are pushing thousands of books by notorious literati on an unsuspecting public, attempting to undermine our society by increasing the number of shameless, self-confessed savants and adepts, and expanding proficiency and comprehension in general to levels that can definitely be considered sinister.  Not only that, but they hope to profit from their behavior.

Who's responsible for THAT, I'd like to know!

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

JenBee wrote:

You've heard.  Have you experienced that?  I've not seen any ads in any of the free books I've "purchased."

New User
NookManager

Ok.  I work in B&N's digital department and I must say the odd speculatory nature of this thread is amazing.  B&N and it's partnered publishers are NOT planning filtered advertising or selling marketing schemes.  Period.  End of story.  Have a great day.

-Ryan

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

I'm confused...  It might have to do with going on Day 5 of being snowed in but I doubt it. 

Here are my questions...

1) How are the ads being filtered in? 

2) How do they know what we are actively reading since most of us keep our NOOKs on airplane mode.  Yes, we have to purchase the book online but keeping the NOOKs in airplane mode also raises the issue of how the ads are being filtered in.

3) Conspiracy theorist much?

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

NookManager wrote:

Ok.  I work in B&N's digital department and I must say the odd speculatory nature of this thread is amazing.  B&N and it's partnered publishers are NOT planning filtered advertising or selling marketing schemes.  Period.  End of story.  Have a great day.

-Ryan

Seeing as how you logged onto this board for the first time today, stick around. You ain't seen nothin' yet. We have some real kooks on the boards.:smileywink:

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

@NookManager

This a well known issue with Nooks. B&N should be shipping units with properly fitted colanders to protect the users. If I don't recieve my colander within 30 days I am going to switch to Kindle!

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan

@gstone: Thanks for clearing up the mystery as to why my local B&N Nook person insisted on measuring the circumference of my head prior to allowing me to purchase my Nook!!  :smileyhappy:

Darkkin

You mean its not for a giant spaghetti party?...:smileysad:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

I didn't get mine with either NOOK!  What am I supposed to do?  The colanders in my house are plastic!  I shouldn't have to go [ay for one myself just because I have NOOKs!  Covering them with tin foil is nothing more than a band-aid and I shouldn't have to do it!  That's it!  I'm getting rid of these crappy devices and buying from a company that gives out the colanders like it's supposed to!

!!!!!!!!!!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

I had to remove my colander last evening so I drain the pasta.  :smileysurprised:

Good thing the JRT's is still solidly in place; poor mutt, he doesn't have one, though.  :smileysad:

ABthree
0 Kudos

@Nallia

Better stay away from Amazon's.  Judging from some of the things that the Kindlings post here, theirs aren't on too tight.  Could be a problem with fit.   :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+