Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

What 5 Buttons Would You Keep???

If you had to limit yourself to 5 buttons on the nook menu, what would they be?  Would you miss the others?

Mine:

1. Library
  2. Reading Now
  3. Shop
  4. WiFi
  5. Settings

I wouldn't miss the other buttons at all...

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: What 5 Buttons Would You Keep???

I would be happy with the original five buttons.  I really don't need the WiFi button since it can be accessed in Settings.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

• Library
  • Sudoku
  • Shop
  • Settings

What, I need a fifth one? Okay, split Library into separate buttons for B&N Library and My Documents.

I don't bother with The Daily, I don't listen to audio (music or audiobooks) on the NOOK and it's available on the "reading" menu if I did want to, I was fine with the Wi-Fi menu only being under Settings, I don't play Chess, and I'm fine with going to the Library to get to Reading Now.

[Interesting: 3 of those buttons are just shortcuts to stuff you can find in menus under other buttons.]

I can't seem to get the Web browser under control. Besides, anywhere I've got Wi-Fi I probably have my netbook available, and it does a whole lot better at that browsing stuff.

Contributor
Winetime
0 Kudos

Having the option to "hide" unused buttons - or place them in a different order would be nice.  My "Reading Now" button is always on the fold.  My top five would be:

My B&N Library

My Documents

Shop

Reading Now

Settings

As previously mentioned, I was fine activating Wi-Fi/Airplane mode via the settings button prior to the v 1.4 update.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@FrogAlum

Good question!

Mine would be:

1. Library

2. Reading Now

3. Shop

4. Settings

5. Backyard

Touching "Backyard" would bring up the other buttons as a second-level menu, for the people who like them.

I wouldn't go into the Backyard much myself -- too many bugs! -- , but some people would enjoy it. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Contributor
JAin-NYC
0 Kudos

My choices would be:

1 My Library

2 Shop

3 Reading Now

4 Settings

5 Since I don't really need a fifth button, I have decided this should be a button we can change at whim.  Or it should be a button that pulls up some highbrow intellectual novel I can use when people try to read over my shoulder.  That way they can't see I am reading some chick-lit or Doctor Who.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

@FrogAlum:

I have the same list.  I wouldn't miss any of the others.  

Although, I do wish they'd implement some of the trook features.  I really enjoy the download books by RSS feature (Calibre server integration for wi-fi side-loading rather than having to find my cord!).  

If B&Ns would implement that, and I was absolutely restricted to 5 buttons, I'd drop the WiFi button in trade but I would miss the WiFi button.  I hate settings that I may change often to be buried in the Setting menus and toggling WiFi off and on is one of those settings I toggle between often enough for it to become an annoyance.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

1. Library

2. Reading Now

3. Shop

4. Settings

5. Wi-fi

Same as yours Frog, I wouldn't mind getting rid of the other buttons!  I'm not interested in their games, the web browser and the daily just keeps throwing a post at me from 3/8/10 that is irritating.

Linda

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

mykoffee wrote:

1. Library

2. Reading Now

3. Shop

4. Settings

5. Wi-fi

Same as yours Frog, I wouldn't mind getting rid of the other buttons!  I'm not interested in their games, the web browser and the daily just keeps throwing a post at me from 3/8/10 that is irritating.

Linda

Same here!  I could get rid of the WiFi if they gave us two buttons for our libraries, but I end up using that a lot because I walk to the store almost every day...  I just don't need any of the others! 

Frequent Contributor
PA10
0 Kudos

I agree with the majority.  The only buttons I use are:

1. Library

2. Reading Now

3. Shop

4. Settings

5. Wi-fi

I don't use the games button now, but if they got something I would play, I'd swap the WI-fi for games. Don't use or need the Daily, Audio or Web Browser.  Would like the ability to put the buttons I use in the order I like though.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Would be a mute point if they allowed hide and rearrange the buttons.

Might have to go to soft-nook to have it my way.

In order left to right.

1) Reading Now

2) My Documents (Less clicks then My Library,My Docs)

3) My Dictionary (Place to look and store results)

4) Wifi

5) Settings ( and wouldn't need that if I got a % reading on screen instead of stupid battery icon)

Shop Button should be hidden 5 layers down and random password access to minimize draining of bank account! :smileytongue:

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

If you had to limit yourself to 5 buttons on the nook menu, what would they be?  Would you miss the others?

Mine:

1. Library
  2. Reading Now
  3. Shop
  4. WiFi
  5. Settings

Ditto. But I would add one more. "Uninstall Bloatware"

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

My choices are similar to those stated in various posts, above.

Reading Now

My B&N Library

My Documents

Shop

Settings

I'd like to see my B&N books and my documents on two separate buttons. 

Inspired Contributor
NomDePlumeIL
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Mine:

1. Library
  2. Reading Now
  3. Shop
  4. WiFi
  5. Settings

I agree with your list.  From Left to Right:

1. Reading Now

2. Library

3. Shop

4. WiFi

5. Settings

I like the WiFi button on the main menu to save me a couple of buttons clicks by not having to go into settings.  It would be nice if I could see the battery percentage value on the main screen instead of/or in combination with the battery icon.  I don't play games, listen to music or surf the web on my nook so those icons can be removed from the main menu.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Mine:

1. Library
  2. Reading Now
  3. Shop
  4. WiFi
  5. Settings

1.  Library

2.  Reading Now

3.  Shop

4.  Settings

5.  Sudoku

I have no problem with selecting library and then which library I want.

Reading Now/Shop, self explanatory

4.  Settings - Having the WiFi option moved back to settings wouldn't bother me,  I usually select shop or check for new content and let it advise me that I need to turn of airplane mode and then it either connects to the WiFi or the 3G, depending on what my last setting was.

5.  I admit to being somewhat addicted to Sudoku.  I don't play chess.  Or perhaps under library, one of the options could be Sudoku (or games) to free up a button.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

1. Library

2. Reading Now.

3. Shop

4. Settings.

5. My Docs. (On the main menu screen, I have alot of sideloaded content.)

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Wow, something must be wrong with me.  I really don't know if I would change the buttons that are there, aside from maybe re-ordering them.  Maybe that is because I have barely had mine over a week! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

1.  Library

2.  Reading Now

3.  Shop

4.  Settings

5.  Sudoku

I have no problem with selecting library and then which library I want.

Reading Now/Shop, self explanatory

4.  Settings - Having the WiFi option moved back to settings wouldn't bother me,  I usually select shop or check for new content and let it advise me that I need to turn of airplane mode and then it either connects to the WiFi or the 3G, depending on what my last setting was.

5.  I admit to being somewhat addicted to Sudoku.  I don't play chess.  Or perhaps under library, one of the options could be Sudoku (or games) to free up a button.

It's not the turning WiFi on, it's remembering to turn it off!  That gets me in trouble some times...

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

1. Library

2. Shop

3. Reading Now

4. Apps

5. Settings

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Mine:

1. Library
  2. Reading Now
  3. Shop
  4. WiFi
  5. Settings

Exactly the same.  If there was better stuff in the Daily, then I could do w/o wifi.