Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
SmilinGirl

Re: What Games Are You Hoping For?

bklvr896 wrote:

...I'd like a game that allows me to organize my books (in both libraries) in subfolders that I create and another one that allows me to reorganize the buttons on the touch screen in the order I want.

Yes, I vote for those games too.  B&N needs to stick to their core competencies.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
--Groucho Marx
Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

This thread was an attempt at humor.  I thought it would be obvious that I wasn't being serious.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

See, if we make the think they're giving us a new game rather than a "feature" we all want, maybe it'll be in the next update.

Frequent Contributor
tirofiban
0 Kudos

I hear from an inside source that Version 1.4 will run Crysis. :smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

sub_rosa wrote:

This thread was an attempt at humor.  I thought it would be obvious that I wasn't being serious.

Your attempt was successful. However, it doesn't mean that others would be able to recognize it. :smileywink:

Contributor
bmweezer
0 Kudos

Games Apple plays

In a previous post, I mentioned that a nook versus iPad discussion isn't really worth having.  I contend that although the Ipad has a great iBook feature, for those of us that like to read from a device that "feels" like a book, the nook is that device. 

However, with that being said, I (like many others) indeed plan to purchase an iPad.  However, be warned, that is easier than it looks.

The closest Apple store to me is 90 minutes away, while the nearest Best Buy that can sell the iPad is 40 minutes away*.  *there are two Best Buys within 10 minutes from my house, but neither one has an "Apple Store" built in. 

Two weeks ago, I drove the 90 minutes to the Apple store to get my iPad.  They were sold out.  Same goes for the Best Buy.  While I understand that items sell out (and it was my fault to not call before my drive), Apple plays an interesting game:

While they can confirm or deny whether the item is available via the phone, that is all you get from them.  They cannot (or will not) tell you when the item will appear, nor will they let you know their normal re-order policy. Plus, if you call up and they confirm that the item is in stock, they will not hold it for you (even if you would pay for the item over the phone).

Very frustrating and I am sure that this is all calculated so that more and more people want the iPad.

For me, I think that it is poor customer service, but that is just me perhaps.  I completely understand that when "hot" items are released, it is always a question of supply versus demand.  However, I have found Apple employees rude, disinterested and needing to take a class on customer service.

Just my rant for the day, thanks for reading. 

If it doesn't kill you, you'll be a better person for it.
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: Games Apple plays

Not for anything, but if you're sure you want an iPad why not just order it online rather than drive 90 minutes to find out it's not in stock?  Apple has free shipping I believe.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

SmilinGirl wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

...I'd like a game that allows me to organize my books (in both libraries) in subfolders that I create and another one that allows me to reorganize the buttons on the touch screen in the order I want.

Yes, I vote for those games too.  B&N needs to stick to their core competencies.

Me, too!

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

none.    it's an e-reader, not a game player

---------
Don
Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sub_rosa wrote:

I think it started descending into seriousness after the second post.  

Either they no longer actually read anything in your post, just the title, or they didn't get it.  I'm still trying to determine which would be worse:  admitting you didn't read a post you replied to or admitting you read a post that refers to putting Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Gears of War onto the Nook and thought it was serious.

Doom would be the bomb though.  Doom gets ported to everything worth owning.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment

I like a "slap someone til thier wattles shake" game.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Phigment wrote:

I like a "slap someone til thier wattles shake" game.

LMAO!  That still cracks me up.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

PepaLou wrote:

I wish they hadn't even gone down that road with the games.  It's an e-reader, not a gaming console. 

So, what games do I want to see on the nook?  How about a game where Barnes and Noble allows members to use their membership card towards the purchase of e-books.  Other than that...NO GAMES.

The reason your Membership doesn't apply is because of the agency model, not BN. Under the new model you're buying the ebook directly from the publisher and BN just runs the website, so they set all the pricing and discounts.

Nope, the BN membership has NEVER worked for anything nook related because BN didn't want it to.  We can't blame the publishers for this one, if BN had allowed and had to stop it due to the publishers that's one thing but that isn't what happened.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I also assumed sub_rosa (I forget, sub_rosa is a he, Frog_Alum is a she or do I have that backwards), was be facetious.  But I'd like a game that allows me to organize my books (in both libraries) in subfolders that I create and another one that allows me to reorganize the buttons on the touch screen in the order I want.

Hey that's three games and sub and I aren't telling!  :smileywink:

I want both those other games sooooooooooooooooooooo bad!

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Hey that's three games and sub and I aren't telling!  :smileywink:

I want both those other games sooooooooooooooooooooo bad!

I can see why people would think I am female based on my screen name containing the word "rosa" - which is sometimes used as a female proper name.  "sub_rosa" could be interpreted - if you have a dirty mind - as ... well, never mind.

The real meaning of my screen name is much older and boring:

The Latin phrase sub rosa means "under the rose" and is used in English to denote secrecy or confidentiality, similar to the Chatham House Rule.

The rose was the emblem of the god Horus in ancient Egypt. Later, the Greeks and Romans regarded Horus as the god of silence. This originates from a Greek/Roman misinterpretation of an Egyptian hieroglyphic adopting Horus along with Isis and Osiris as a god. The Greeks translated his Egyptian name Har-pa-khered as Harpocrates.

The rose's connotation of secrecy dates back also to Greek mythology. Aphrodite gave a rose to her son Eros, the god of love; he, in turn, gave it to Harpocrates, the god of silence, to ensure that his mother's indiscretions (or those of the gods in general, in other accounts) were not disclosed. Paintings of roses on the ceilings of Roman banquet rooms were also a reminder that things said under the influence of wine (sub vino) should also remain sub rosa. In the Middle Ages a rose suspended from the ceiling of a council chamber similarly pledged all present (those under the rose) to secrecy.

In Christian symbolism, the phrase "sub rosa" has a special place in confessions. Pictures of five-petalled roses were often carved on confessionals, indicating that the conversations would remain secret. The phrase has also been understood to make reference to the mysterious virginal conception of Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_rosa

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
ratdog
0 Kudos

I really hope they do not go in the direction of web based video games.

I would rather see ones similar to what I have on my computer - solitaire, majhong, minesweeper.

I would also like to see crosswords.

Keep it Simple.

Contributor
cwlady
0 Kudos

Crosswords!

New User
fr8train
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't yet have the Nook nor the Kindle, but I am considering between the two.  I don't want something bulky, but I definitely want something that will play games.  The games, however, need to be "thinking man" games.... I am not AT ALL interested in shoot em up games or games that are going to give me carpal tunnel.  I am, however, interested in games such as Myst, Sudoko, Crosswords, Scrabble and the like.  I believe that most people who buy readers are interested in thinking, not mind-numbing action games..... but I could be wrong.

But I do agree.... if this thing turns into a true gaming console (with a,b,c,d,e,f, and z controls), I will look elsewhere for a "reader".

FR8

New User
valkayriegal
0 Kudos

I really hope we can get scrabble...

New User
Mockingbird53
0 Kudos

I would love Scrabble, crosswords or other word games. :smileywink: