Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

Re: What Games Are You Hoping For?

Ditto above.   I bought mine to read, not play games.  I have other devices for that.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

None.  It's an e-book reader.  I want them to add the abilty to sort and manage books both in the B & N sectin and in the my documents and the same with audio books and music.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

I'd like a game that allows me to organize my books (in both libraries) in subfolders that I create and another one that allows me to reorganize the buttons on the touch screen in the order I want.

Right on.  I'm a new Nook owner and I want it to WORK as an eREADER.

Although, as has been pointed out, these accessory applications do function to bring in new buyers and new revenue.  One of the reasons I bought Nook over Kindle was the Android OS.  My (possibly confused) thought was that applications could be quickly written as Android is open-source.  I figured that fixes could be made quickly.  In the back of my mind, I knew new apps could be released more quickly, as well. 

I'm not philosophically opposed to additional features.  If we're going to get new games they might as well suit book lovers.  The iPod had games originally and I thought "What do I need games for, I'm listening to music?"  Now games are as big to iPod as music.  I'm still happy with my first generation iPod that doesn't show pictures, doesn't take pictures, doesn't do video etc...  I do get why people have bought the "new" ones, though.

Whomever said that we should be able to install/not install new games or other applications during firmware upgrades - I'll agree with you, too.  I probably would add a crossword/boggle/scrabble game.  I'd definitely delete Chess and Sudoku if I could.

It does seem that *if* they are going to market an ereader, it should WORK as an eREADER.

Correspondent
Doc_Nukem

[ Edited ]

It's funny, but I have bought hundreds of DTBs in my life, and only a few of them came with any games (the ones that did had subtle and cryptic clues on the front cover like "Crossword" or "Puzzle").

I never felt that the vast majority that didn't have games were deficient in any way (except for their lack of a microphone and backlight).

Inspired Contributor
sam_ann

I'm a die hard bookworm and have been since I was 10 years old. I've worked in both a bookstore and a library and I have no problem finishing 5 books a week. I actually flunked a class in college once because I couldn't bear to stop reading the book I was on long enough to make it to my final. (Note: I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS BEHAVIOR, lol) To me, reading books on my ereader is my number one priority for its use and the whole reason I got it.

Having said all that, I really don't understand why the games upset people. I DO understand why the lack of organizational functionality upsets people. It's really annoying and it seems like a stupid problem for an ereader to have. I read a lot of series and I NEED to be able to sort them properly. Give me folders! But I don't see how the two things are related. I mean, at this point in the history of software development, isn't including chess and sudoku on a device the tech effort equivalent of tossing a sprig of parsley on a plate as it leaves the kitchen? Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I admit to bias though. Unlike many of the game haters who have commented, I don't have a fancy phone or laptop or anything. So to me the games and web browser are features I wouldn't otherwise have access to. I'll never use them a lot, but I appreciate that I can use them on occasion. Also, though my husband likes to read, he's not as avaricious as I am and he happens to enjoy puzzle games. He can't get his Scrabble fix from me, because if he beats me at it one more time I will be forced to divorce him. :smileywink: So I'll go on the record as in favor of basic brain games like that being included in future upgrades. Provided necessary organizational features are included also.

Making them optional would be a good idea as well.

~Sam

Correspondent
Taxandria
0 Kudos

sam_ann wrote:

Having said all that, I really don't understand why the games upset people. I DO understand why the lack of organizational functionality upsets people. It's really annoying and it seems like a stupid problem for an ereader to have. I read a lot of series and I NEED to be able to sort them properly. Give me folders! But I don't see how the two things are related. I mean, at this point in the history of software development, isn't including chess and sudoku on a device the tech effort equivalent of tossing a sprig of parsley on a plate as it leaves the kitchen? Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I admit to bias though. Unlike many of the game haters who have commented, I don't have a fancy phone or laptop or anything. So to me the games and web browser are features I wouldn't otherwise have access to. I'll never use them a lot, but I appreciate that I can use them on occasion.

I personally wouldn't want to waste development hours trying to make various games work on the Nook when those hours could be spent making it a better ereader. (I don't think it's all that easy to add games -- if you've ever even done simple HTML by hand it can take hours and with games we're talking about plug-ins and compatibility etc. The more stuff that's added in, the more options for crashes and bugs etc.)

I'm also not a "game hater" in any way. Just because I would rather not have the Nook turned into an iPad or netbook doesn't mean that I hate games. The two ideas don't necessarily go together at all.

Say you bought a bicycle and the manufacturers added an optional small engine to it for an occasional "boost" in speed but it was very limited. If someone came in and said they wanted the bike to have a motorcycle's engine because they don't otherwise have access to a motorcycle -- it doesn't really make sense. It's a bike, not a motorcycle. If you want that level of functionality, you buy a device that's made for that sort of thing.

I bought an ereader because I want to read. If you needed something to read books on and also access a web browser and play games, why didn't you buy a netbook? They run just a little bit more than the 3G version of the Nook and have the kind of functionality you seem to be looking for. 

Just Read: The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Reading Now: The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Reading Next: ?
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Taxandria wrote:

I bought an ereader because I want to read. If you needed something to read books on and also access a web browser and play games, why didn't you buy a netbook? They run just a little bit more than the 3G version of the Nook and have the kind of functionality you seem to be looking for. 

Why all the uproar over games, specifically, though?  How are they worse than mp3 player capability? Personally, I have no use for the Nook's mp3 player.  My iPod already plays music, my husband recently bought a Sansa (Fuze?) for me from woot because his iPod (a first-generation) died and he was buying himself one.  He figured mine didn't have that much longer.  My blackberry also plays mp3s.  

I don't need this to play mp3s.  I need it to read books.  NOT play music.  

Isn't that the same basic argument?  It seems far simpler to throw a basic word game on the device than the development of an audio-player.  

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm trying to figure why one feature is acceptable without option and others are not?

Contributor
slow_reader
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

It would be nice though if it were useable for playing Audiobooks.

I'd like to keep all my "reading material" in the same place.

Additionally if I want to listen to a little background music while reading its nice to not have to drag out another device and more wires and headphones.

Correspondent
Doc_Nukem
0 Kudos

Games on an e-reader are like clutter. When I go into my office at home or work, I don't want to see junk all over the place. A bunch of extra buttons/icons on a device that was not primarily designed to play games is just space-occupying junk.

Frequent Contributor
Brucester
0 Kudos

Doc_Nukem wrote:

Games on an e-reader are like clutter. When I go into my office at home or work, I don't want to see junk all over the place. A bunch of extra buttons/icons on a device that was not primarily designed to play games is just space-occupying junk.

Agree! Use the device for it's intended purpose - reading books - and be done with it. AFAIC, they could eliminate games, music, and a lot of other unecessary garbage.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

I think objections to games because of the distraction is not the central issue.  I'm sure, as readers, we can manage our attention deficit disorders, or not, as we wish.

The objections to games comes primarily from the fact that long begged for improvements in indexing, reading, note taking, sharing, syncing, downloading, wifi functionality etc., go wanting while developer resources are squandered on games because some marketing droid saw such on a kindle.

Fix the device to operate as advertised, THEN bring us games.

Inspired Contributor
sam_ann

Taxandria wrote:

sam_ann wrote:

I admit to bias though. Unlike many of the game haters who have commented, I don't have a fancy phone or laptop or anything. So to me the games and web browser are features I wouldn't otherwise have access to. I'll never use them a lot, but I appreciate that I can use them on occasion.

I personally wouldn't want to waste development hours trying to make various games work on the Nook when those hours could be spent making it a better ereader. (I don't think it's all that easy to add games -- if you've ever even done simple HTML by hand it can take hours and with games we're talking about plug-ins and compatibility etc. The more stuff that's added in, the more options for crashes and bugs etc.)

I'm also not a "game hater" in any way. Just because I would rather not have the Nook turned into an iPad or netbook doesn't mean that I hate games. The two ideas don't necessarily go together at all.

Say you bought a bicycle and the manufacturers added an optional small engine to it for an occasional "boost" in speed but it was very limited. If someone came in and said they wanted the bike to have a motorcycle's engine because they don't otherwise have access to a motorcycle -- it doesn't really make sense. It's a bike, not a motorcycle. If you want that level of functionality, you buy a device that's made for that sort of thing.

Maybe I should have worded that specifically as "nook game hater." I certainly didn't mean to imply that you hate all games in the universe. And if it takes long hours to include chess and sudoku, well, I admit that to me HTML is similar in meaning to "magic", so I stand corrected. :smileyhappy:

As for why I didn't buy a netbook, that's easy enough. I'm poor. The only way I could get a nook was by utilizing the good ol' birthday. I wouldn't be able to afford a netbook by itself, let alone both a netbook and a nook, which would be necessary since the e-ink display is very important to me as a book lover with poor eyesight. I know my circumstances don't represent the vast majority of nook owners, but from B&N's point of view my money-or rather, my friends' and family's money :smileywink:-is every bit as good as anyone else's. I could have gone for one of the ereaders that is far more basic, but I wanted the bells and whistles. So B&N gained at least one loyal customer by including them. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

~Sam

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Why all the uproar over games, specifically, though?  How are they worse than mp3 player capability? Personally, I have no use for the Nook's mp3 player.  My iPod already plays music, my husband recently bought a Sansa (Fuze?) for me from woot because his iPod (a first-generation) died and he was buying himself one.  He figured mine didn't have that much longer.  My blackberry also plays mp3s.  

Isn't that the same basic argument?  It seems far simpler to throw a basic word game on the device than the development of an audio-player.  

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm trying to figure why one feature is acceptable without option and others are not?

Probably because the Nook has always had an audio player which hasn't really changed.  Whereas, after hoping and pleading for organizational features, we got an update with games which weren't really an addition most users were looking for.

Contributor
OliverSudden
0 Kudos

I didn't buy my nook to play games and was sorta surprised to see it had some loaded on it. That said, I'd have to play it if a port of Oregon Trail showed up after the next update.
Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

OliverSudden wrote:
I didn't buy my nook to play games and was sorta surprised to see it had some loaded on it. That said, I'd have to play it if a port of Oregon Trail showed up after the next update.

Eh?

I'm not getting the Oregon Trail reference, and I live in Oregon.:smileywink:

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

I have to agree with everyone else here...I bought my Nook to read books.  Not to play games and music.  I would be happy with no more new games...I don't want a bunch of stuff on my Nook that I'm not going to use and that could potentially slow down or freeze up my Nook.  I just want better organization features, but I could really live without that too if I had to.  As long as I can read, and my Nook doesn't freeze up (mine never has)  then I am pretty much a happy camper.  I have decided that I don't even care that there hasn't been another update yet--I am happy with how well my Nook works and that's all that matters to me.:smileyhappy:

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Correspondent
FARIEQUEENE
0 Kudos

While there is some functional issues I would like to see taken care of in the near future (I really want a sorting system, I have over 600 books), I do not have a problem with adding games.  Developers and development teams usually have specific jobs and so you are not going to lose crucial development time for organizational things by developing games for the nook because more than likely thats a job for two completely different people.  

So yes, bring on some more games, I don't mind and it wont hurt my device any... maybe some crossword, or some solitare, go crazy... get some scrabble going so the computer can beat me at yet another game....

I think people have some things they would like to see and perhaps they dont realize that in the R&D side of things, different people would be doing those things, not one person wasting time developing a game app instead of working on organizational stuff.

"I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king."
Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

Grammaknits02 wrote:

I have to agree with everyone else here...

Not everyone else :smileywink: some of us are happy with additional apps and are looking forword to more. Of course they need to be optional so that everyone will be happy.

Contributor
OliverSudden
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

love_my_karma wrote:

Eh?

I'm not getting the Oregon Trail reference, and I live in Oregon.:smileywink:

It's an "educational" game from decades ago, one where you attempt to move your party of pioneers to the west coast without dying of dysentery along the way. It's actually funny and fun.

ETA: (It's a joke)

Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There's only one "game" that I would care to see, an IF (Interactive Fiction, think "Zork" from the early 80's) interpreter such as Frotz, Gargoyle or Wingit. As a writer of IF, I think that as a game genre it's perfectly suited for playing on an ebook reader. IF is primarily text-based but it can have images embedded as well. 

Good Interactive Fiction is fun to play, thought provoking and a wonderful mental exercise. Not to mention that there are literally hundreds of IF games available for downloading for free. Most of these are written by amateurs like myself, and we're delighted to provide them to the world community to play.

Google "Interactive fiction", "Zork", "Inform 7" or TADS 3"  to find out more if you're interested.

Cheers. 

Cave ab homine unius libri: Beware of anyone who has just one book.