Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

Re: What Games Are You Hoping For?

[ Edited ]

Throw in a few more free games like crosswords et al, but how about eventually being able to purchase and download games from the store (like you do with ebooks) or sideload them from some Android app developer or download.com or elsewhere and be the captain of your own bloatware ship?

EDIT:  I agree that the games should be pretty simple...just a quick diversion if you want to take a break from reading.  It's an ereader first!

New User
mrlgrl2000
0 Kudos

scrabble, solitiare

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

Boggle

Frequent Contributor
juneau
0 Kudos

I've got 12 dots in my library now. My guess is that the next game that will be played on my NOOK will be one of those unwholesome dots' choosing!

Also, I'm reminded of a game that sounded very fun when Mary Poppins suggested it: "Let's Tidy Up the Nursery"...otherwise entitled I CAN HAZ BOOKSELFS? (What? I told you I have 12 dots! That's a lot of books! I also have a lhasa apso with an attitude problem, in case that strikes fear into the hearts of programmers...)

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

juneau wrote:

I've got 12 dots in my library now. My guess is that the next game that will be played on my NOOK will be one of those unwholesome dots' choosing!

Also, I'm reminded of a game that sounded very fun when Mary Poppins suggested it: "Let's Tidy Up the Nursery"...otherwise entitled I CAN HAZ BOOKSELFS? (What? I told you I have 12 dots! That's a lot of books! I also have a lhasa apso with an attitude problem, in case that strikes fear into the hearts of programmers...)

I'll go for dot chase, other than that, nothing!

Frequent Contributor
Beren

Obviusly the games are a cute and potentially fun add-on to the Nook and secondary to its real purpose. But I kind of like having the chess game on there and use it now and then.

The E-ink screen makes the nook pretty useless for anything with animated graphics--so arcade or shooter games just wouldn't work. However, it occurs to me that there may be some turn-based games that might work quite well and be quite entertaining on the Nook. For instance, there's _Freeciv_, which is basically an open-source clone of Civilization II. It's turn based, with simple graphics and very little animation.  A game of that type might be made to run on the Nook fairly well--and the game itself is quite fun. You don't need modern graphics to have engaging gameplay.

Another possibility, and I think this would be particularly appropriate for an e-reading device and a possibility that Nook-like devices raise that hasn't been explored yet, is text-based interactive fiction. Even the old classic text adventure games like _Zork_ are still fun after all these years, and the Nook would lend itself very well to a text-based, story-driven format. I can even see that as a selling point: stories you can interact with.

Just a brainstorm.

Inspired Contributor
Harrkev
0 Kudos

I think that the Nook is made for *** FROTZ *** (look it up on Wikipedia if you need to).

There was a version of Frotz (or something very much like it) for the old Palm PDA machines.  The one for the Nook could use an interface very much like that to work well with the touchscreen.  A "noun" and "verb" selection menu would also be nice.

Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

Ah yes--I do have Frotz (and also MAME and an NES emulator) on my old Palm T5, which I still use. It just seemed like a fun idea to have interactive stories on an ereader device. Is there an Android version of Frotz?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

EastCoastBird wrote:

EDIT:  I agree that the games should be pretty simple...just a quick diversion if you want to take a break from reading.  It's an ereader first!

So true!  I play sudoku occasionally, and did play a game in a hospital after surgery to work my brain.  But otherwise, it's a reader.   My husband wouldn't mind mah-johng though.

Correspondent
Lugaid_Llyr
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

The reason your Membership doesn't apply is because of the agency model, not BN. Under the new model you're buying the ebook directly from the publisher and BN just runs the website, so they set all the pricing and discounts.

While I don't doubt the veracity of this claim, I seem to remember that the BN membership was not valid on nook or ebooks long before the Agency Model took effect in April. Pardon if I'm wrong, just wondering?

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. - Herbert George Wells
Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How about an Etch-A-Sketch function.

I'm sure it would be just as easy to create fancy pictures on the nook as it is to currently navigate a very large library!

:smileywink:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

AllenR
0 Kudos

Seriously though, I have no need for games.  If I did play them, I could do so on my phone, on my laptop or on my iPod.  I have no need of yet another device that plays games, especially one with such a limited display as e-ink.

The desire to add games is similar to the need to add a digital clock to every electronic device that has a display.   In my kitchen alone, I have 4 clocks to reset after a power outage and the major question is always, which one is actually telling the correct time?  - Duh, the atomic one on my wrist!

Let's have a great e-reader first and worry about the games later.

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Correspondent
Lugaid_Llyr
0 Kudos

AlanR. LOL. Know just what you mean. The clocks in our house provide irrufutable evidence that time vortexs do exist and cause variable time fluctuations throughout the rooms, causing time difference fro 5min to 23 hours. (Alternate theories include folds in the time/space continuim that allow for variable time zones.

Also, I really have no need for my e-reader to do anything other than to allow me to read. Granted I have used the web browser on occasion to look something up that dealt with what I was reading, but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone. And have played Suduko once in the hospital emergency room, because I couldn't find a newspaper for sale. But all in all I find it unnecessary fluff.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. - Herbert George Wells
MiniMischief
0 Kudos

I thought the original post was hilarious.  I figure Call of Duty is the right choice, since all the boys in my family live and breathe by it!

It's even funnier to read the serious responses.  Did you not notice the picture of Operation?  I laughed out loud!

My vote is for the game that organizes my books too.  I like that one the best.  :smileyhappy: Anything else can be shelved. 

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Frequent Contributor
SMG51
0 Kudos

Solitare. 

Frequent Contributor
100kgs
0 Kudos

I always like a game of Risk.

"Not that I have anything against senseless violence, manling, but why are you strangling that old man?" - Gotrek Gurnisson
Correspondent
growlingraven

I'm looking for a game called Sync. This game syncs the book I'm reading on my Nook, ipod Touch and iMac. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

growlingraven wrote:

I'm looking for a game called Sync. This game syncs the book I'm reading on my Nook, ipod Touch and iMac. 

Here Here!

Enough with these silly game requests.  You all have computers and cell phones for that.

Lets fix the disastrous release 1.4 and then add reading functionality, and enough with this game thread.

T-A
Contributor
T-A
0 Kudos

Many Nook owners are probably word people rather than number people (I know I am). I would definately like more word-based games, like the boggle, etc., that people have suggested.

Frequent Contributor
Rich_D
0 Kudos

Zork would be cool but I'd prefer if they removed all the games.