Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: What Games Are You Hoping For?

TheRoadRunner wrote:

There's only one "game" that I would care to see, an IF (Interactive Fiction, think "Zork" from the early 80's) interpreter such as Frotz, Gargoyle or Wingit.

Brilliant!

Contributor
Brigz
0 Kudos

Just to thow in my two cents in case any of the admins ever actually read these postings:

The games are a complete waste of developement time. I bought my Nook for READING not to play games. I have never even played either of the two games currently on the Nook. If the developers continue to waste time adding more games instead of new reading features then I'll have to dump my Nook and look at another product that fits my idea of a reading platform.

I'll repeat what the vast majority of Nook users have already said: What Nook needs most of all is a file system to organise installed ebooks!!!! After they offer this then I don't care what they do to the Nook. But it appears this will never happen.

Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I see it in a different light. IF games are another way to generate sales of the Nook for B&N.It's a relatively simple application to add that would not entail any special changes to the Nook and could appeal to another market segment.

As I pointed out in my previous post, IF is basically a text-based format, games generally take little storage space in the SD media, the parsers are of fairly small footprint as well, and, at least in my opinion, the genre is a "natural fit" for people who also enjoy books. Frotz for the IPad is already available and the other IF interpreters are OpenSource. So other than porting them over to the Android OS, the hard part has already been done! Not only that, but there is a pretty decent number of people who play IF and would love to see a small convenient ereader type device to play it on.

These people also purchase books ...

I agree that there are other applications such as file browser/organizer, perhaps a notepad app (which I personally would love to have) and a handful of others that probably should be made available before more "casual" or "leisure" (wait a minute! I read for leisure!) applications are coded.

BTW, if you've never played chess, you might give it a go. It's wonderful for developing one's brain power and analytical thinking.

Cheers.

Cave ab homine unius libri: Beware of anyone who has just one book.
Correspondent
FARIEQUEENE
0 Kudos

LOL to the World of Warcraft comment...

If the nook had WOW... I would never get anything done.

:smileywink:

"I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king."
Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

I will also say I don't "hate" games, but would prefer that it be optional rather than adding a bunch of items I don't want and taking up space for say 10 books or more by having said games.

The MP3 player was brought up....personally I do like that and it is part of the hardware (speakers).  I play several audio books on it and while it could be a better player it is serviceable and certainly handier than dragging out another device.

The Interactive fiction idea....yes that would work. However have you have typed much on the Nooks virtual keyboard?  I find it very slow going and often get a different letter than I am aiming for.  I would never use it.  Perhaps if I got a stylus it would work better.  For quick searches it is ok, but for a interactive fiction game/story that would be a problem.  I am also not sure how well the screen refresh would work for this. Seems like it might be a little slow for this.  Of course no different than Chess on the nook now lol.

Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

DBDigital wrote:

The Interactive fiction idea....yes that would work. However have you have typed much on the Nooks virtual keyboard?  I find it very slow going and often get a different letter than I am aiming for.  I would never use it.  Perhaps if I got a stylus it would work better.  For quick searches it is ok, but for a interactive fiction game/story that would be a problem.  I am also not sure how well the screen refresh would work for this. Seems like it might be a little slow for this.  Of course no different than Chess on the nook now lol.

Frankly, I have "size 10" fingers and the Nook has a "size 6" keyboard, but I get along with it ok. I figure if I can type on the lcd keyboard of a Droid, then I can handle most anything else too. :smileywink:

One of the nice things about IF is that you can, in many cases, type a single letter command to get things done. Ie; type "n" for "North". "x" for 'examine" and there are many, many others that are as simplified. Where it becomes more involved is in typing longer sentences like "Ask Tom about the rabbit" and that sort of thing. A stylus would be another alternative for sure.

As IF is generally a "turn based" system,  one doesn't have to input quickly to get things done. That's one reason I love the genre. I can play at my own pace. (which is getting slower as I get older) and I prefer solving mysteries and riddles over "getting fragged" or playing at games that tend to violence. It's possible to save a game at a particular point and reload when you're ready to continue too.

BTW, this is becoming a bit of a crusade for me to get an IF interpreter on the Nook so please forgive me if I'm proselytizing a bit.

Cheers.

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

OliverSudden wrote:

love_my_karma wrote:

Eh?

I'm not getting the Oregon Trail reference, and I live in Oregon.:smileywink:

It's an "educational" game from decades ago, one where you attempt to move your party of pioneers to the west coast without dying of dysentery along the way. It's actually funny and fun.

ETA: (It's a joke)

Ah, I see, I think.lol

When I was in middle school (junior high in those days), we had to do an in-class assignment which involved budgeting funds and resources for an Oregon Trail journey from Missouri.

As I recall, my team didn't survive.:smileysad:

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

We do read all postings.  FYI.

Also, there is a suggested improvement thread for the next update that can be found here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Suggested-Improvements-For-V-1-5/td-p...

Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hmm, I'm geting an error 403: Forbidden from your link Michael ...

Cheers.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ah, working now. Thanks!

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Disregard.

New User
edu90cb
0 Kudos

As a reading device, it should include games for your mind, so i'll go with hidato, great for your brain and great for your nook!