Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

What are the best eBook Libraries with the best selection?

I'm trying to cut back on spending a little but can't seem to stop reading. I had never realized before today that nook can borrow library books! Dumb, huh?
Who knows what the best eBook Libraries are with the widest selection? Could use the help!

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Re: What are the best eBook Libraries with the best selection?

I found that my local library (for which I've had a card for years) is on the overdrive.com web site, and I have successfully borrowed two books so far, both bestsellers.:smileyhappy:

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
BrookieNookie
0 Kudos

The Oregon Digital Consortium has a GREAT selection!

As of today:

6077 Fiction Ebooks

2611 Non Fiction Ebooks

They don't show how many are epub vs pdf, but everything I have looked for has been available in epub.

Most of the public libraries in Oregon are members, not sure what their membership requirements are though.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Try searching the overdrive site for libraries in your area that have eBook collections.

http://search.overdrive.com/

Select search for a library.  You'll have to find out the requirements for the libraries to see if you can get a library card.  I live in SoCal and can pretty much get a library card for any library system here, but I have to pick up the card in person.

The libraries where you live may have different requirements.

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

BrookieNookie wrote:

As of today:

6077 Fiction Ebooks

2611 Non Fiction Ebooks

They don't show how many are epub vs pdf, but everything I have looked for has been available in epub.

Most of the public libraries in Oregon are members, not sure what their membership requirements are though.

That's my site, too! Are you in Oregon?

~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And if it doesn't show a local library yours may be part of a library district or even county library system.  This can vary greatly from region to region.  Where I used to live it was a city library system.  Where I now live it is by the state capital and there's a district of all communities in the area.  I do believe in some places where you have no local system, there are other districts or library systems where you can get a card by paying a non-resident fee.  So that's another thing to consider.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
Sigma2398
0 Kudos

I've heard that you can buy a membership to the Philadelphia library if you're not a resident for $15.  I'm happy with my various DC area libraries, but it might be worth it if you don't have a local library with a good selection.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Fairfax County, Virginia has 3,027 ebooks but only 1159 are in the EPUB format.  However, new ones are coming in all the time, at an ever-increasing rate.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Katie_798 wrote:

I'm trying to cut back on spending a little but can't seem to stop reading...

Don't forget the free eBooks listed on InkMesh:

B&N : http://inkmesh.com/free-ebooks/?site=nook

BAEN : http://inkmesh.com/free-ebooks/?site=baen

You can find a lot of good public domain books over at manybooks.net as well:

http://manybooks.net/

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
BrookieNookie
0 Kudos

love_my_karma wrote:

BrookieNookie wrote:

As of today:

6077 Fiction Ebooks

2611 Non Fiction Ebooks

That's my site, too! Are you in Oregon?

I'm in Washington, but my library system has some partnership agreement with the Multnomah County Library, since most of us are border towns, so I was able to get a free card from the Troutdale library. I have used it SOOOO much since I got the card and my nook in August. I'm currently reading the Sookie Stackhouse 8 book box set, and have borrowed all of the Outlander books from there as well. They have a great selection!

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Howdy neighbor!

I'm in Oregon, and am loving the selection available to me here.:smileyhappy:

~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Inspired Contributor
book_werm

MobileRead users maintain a really informative wiki about various libraries and their ebook collections.  You may want to do some reading here:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

Contributor
Tinkturtle
0 Kudos

My home library in Oak Park, IL. has improved in the three months I've had my nook. I also have a card to Chicago Public Library. Between the two I've borrowed easily twenty books over three months. I check both libraries every week for new releases. I have to stop for awhile so I can read the books I've bought and the free Friday books.

So many books. So little time.
New User
Capitalhub
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, how do you guys find out the size of your library's OverDrive collection??

Frequent Contributor
The_Dark_Clown
0 Kudos

Capitalhub wrote:

Hi, how do you guys find out the size of your library's OverDrive collection??

I clicked on the "Browse all ebooks" link.  We have a whopping total of 844 ebooks on the Washington Anytime LIbrary, through Overdrive.  It is difficult to find books, has useless features, and very few books.  Occasionally I find a book I want to read, but often the whole series is not there.  I can read books 1, 2, and 4 of a series but not 3, for example.  I am hoping that as ebook readers become more popular they will devote  a bit more of their budget to ebooks, until then, I spend more money at B&N.  :smileyhappy:
Contributor
eriddler

To the OP...I live in a small town in Idaho with no access to a library with ebooks.  Also, in the military so with moving every 3 years its tough to 'settle' and have a great library avail.  The Free Library of Philadelphia option works out well for me.  Decent selection of books, 21 day checkout, just need Adobe Digital Editions on your computer (which is a simple download). 

Just google Free Library of Philadelphia...the site is not as user friendly as others, but look for a link to get a library card...then look for the Digital Downloads link after you get it in the mail.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

There are also many options often within a state or county.  You can sometimes go to your largest city's library (ours is part of a consortium or district system) to get a card.  If you look at the overdrive site, they have library listings there.  Sometimes the option is a non-resident library card.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
Capitalhub
0 Kudos

Thanks The_Dark_Clown! Which libraries do you think has large OverDrive collections (that is, over 10,000 of ebooks)??

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Regarding the eBook Libraries, isn't someone going to be placed on an awful large waiting list for "What the Night Knows" by Dean Koontz?

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
New User
lmk207s
0 Kudos

I just got my nook color and have been trying to download books from my library.  They also use overdrive but I couldn't get it to work.  It was an adobe pdf ebook.  Does the nook not support that?  I thought they did epub and pdf.  I downloaded it using adobe digital editions and managed to get it on my nook color but when I tried to open it, it said it wasn't available.  Any help would be awesome, thanks!