Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie
0 Kudos

What can you do with 3G?

What can you do with 3G?

I know nothing about any of this.  But... I have a Nook Color with wifi and love it.  Now I have a chance to buy a used Nook with 3G at a good price.  I really would like to have a back up because, let's face it, the Nook Colors are a bit touchy and the battery lasts me exactly one day of reading.  ONE DAY!  How sucky is that! 

Barnes and Noble came out with this new Nook Touch and seems to be eliminating the Nook with 3G.  This makes me feel that if I want one I should make some kind of decision sooner rather than later.

What can I do with 3G?  Can I do anything other than buy B&N books?  Can I download any of those fancy aps that the cell phones have?    

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: What can you do with 3G?

the 3g is only on the current gen 1 original nook

to answer your question YES the only thing you really can do is order books with it.  Allows you to order books if you are not in a wi fi location.

depending on your access to wi fi this may or may not be a major issue.  since you have the nook color I am guessing you have frequent enough access to wi fi anyway.

you cannot download aps to the e ink 3g nook. 

basically if you have access to wi fi (and don't travel a lot etc) there is no real reason in my opinion to rush out and grab a 3g device just as a backup.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

The Nook (first edition) with 3g does not run apps...it is mainly a reader and does not have the additional functionality of your nookcolor. The 3g allows access when you are not in range.of a wifi hotspot but do have cell coverage available...for buying and downloading books and minor web use.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Contributor
Klem_Kadiddlehopper
0 Kudos

You can surf the web with and down load books anywhere there'sa 3g signal. (Let's say about every place).  No Apps or other crazy stuff like the NC.

It's like have the net in your hand all the time.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Klem_Kadiddlehopper wrote:

You can surf the web with and down load books anywhere there'sa 3g signal. (Let's say about every place).  No Apps or other crazy stuff like the NC.

It's like have the net in your hand all the time.

I didn't think you could browe the interner with 3g WITH the nook 3g.  I think you can obtain books but not use the browser.  I do not have the 3g so someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Since the (very limited) web browser only works with WiFi, you are limited in what you can do with 3G. You can browse the shop, buy ebooks, download most ebooks (some larger ebook files require WiFi), view/update the Daily, and buy anddownload compatible newspapers and magazines. You can also use it to lend ebooks to others.

Correspondent
statomattic
0 Kudos

As Nallia said, you can only browse the Web using WiFi, but you realistically are rarely (if ever) going to want to use the web browser on the first edition Nook. I use it once in a blue moon, and only then to check email if it's particularly urgent.

Otherwise, there are instances when I've been very thankful to have the 3g:

1) When traveling. Many (if not most) airports do not have free wifi, and many of the nicer hotels do not, either.

2) My family goes on a one-week vacation to rural Michigan each year, and I have to have my morning paper. There's no wifi where we stay, but the cell phones get signals. Last summer with my Nook 3G, I was able to download the paper each morning, whereas in previous years I had to drive 15 minutes into town to get a hard copy of an early edition. Situations like this are where the 3G comes up huge.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie
0 Kudos

Thank you all so much for the rapid and thorough replies.   I think the Nook with 3G is not necessary for me. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Plus the 3G contract with AT&T is going to run out, and it looks like barnes and noble is not renewing it.  Now other then the 3G ability to access the Nook Store via 3G, essentially Nook 3G/wifi is the same Nook 1st edition as the wifi only one.  It is true as you said the battery on the Color isn't strong, I would suggest either get a Nook 1st edition without 3G, or get the Nook 2nd.  You'll have more battery life and, it's easier to read then the screen on Nook Color.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

Plus the 3G contract with AT&T is going to run out, and it looks like barnes and noble is not renewing it.  Now other then the 3G ability to access the Nook Store via 3G, essentially Nook 3G/wifi is the same Nook 1st edition as the wifi only one.  It is true as you said the battery on the Color isn't strong, I would suggest either get a Nook 1st edition without 3G, or get the Nook 2nd.  You'll have more battery life and, it's easier to read then the screen on Nook Color.

where have you seen that?  can you post links?

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

There's been a lot of hinting that 3G is being phase out.  One it doesn't sell as well as the Nook wifi only, two the Nook 2nd edition doesn't have a 3G model, and NookColor never went 3G at all because its more expensive to put 3G in the device.  Plus the 4G network will cease to allow function of 3G devices, why would continue to pay for 3G network if your BN if its clear you are not going to use it moving forward?

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

If you have a serious concern about always having wifi access, you may want to consider using your smartphone as a wifi hotspot or purchasing one of the devices that can be used as a wifi hotspot for a variety of devices...they use cell service and broadcast as wifi. Of course, there are data plan fees associated and it does not address the battery life issue...but it is an option if you the money to spend and the need.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Bibliophile
bklvr896

shadowcat80 wrote:

There's been a lot of hinting that 3G is being phase out.  One it doesn't sell as well as the Nook wifi only, two the Nook 2nd edition doesn't have a 3G model, and NookColor never went 3G at all because its more expensive to put 3G in the device.  Plus the 4G network will cease to allow function of 3G devices, why would continue to pay for 3G network if your BN if its clear you are not going to use it moving forward?

There's been hinting on the forums, no where else as far as I can tell.  And, I really do not think think that 3G is going to vanish overnight in the near future as there are literally thousands, if not millions of cell phones out there that would suddenly not work.  It's more likely that 3G will run along side 4G for a long time.

Will B&N renew the 3G contract, that's another story?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I'm sure B&N will support 3G until the devices using it disappear by attrition.  It's only the original Nook that had 3G support.  It's never been added into any other device after that.  It won't take more than a few years for the original devices to gradually disappear.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
statomattic

RSC_Nook wrote:

shadowcat80 wrote:

where have you seen that?  can you post links?

There are no links for this. This is based purely on speculation. The rumors of the 3G Nook being discontinued originated with a blog post by Engadget in January. That blog posting turned out to be entirely false, but it didn't stop the rumors.

Now, it is true that the new Nooks all are wifi only, and therefore it is true now that no more 3G Nooks are going to be sold after the stock of the first editions is gone. However, I personally would be pretty stunned were B&N to simply cut off its contract with AT&T in the near future. That would leave a large number of Nook owners who do rely on the 3G more or less in the lurch. It would be awful PR, and cause a significant exodus of customers to the Kindle. At some point, sure the 3G will probably no longer be supported, but that's more likely to occur once we reach a point where few Nook owners are using it any longer.

Far more likely, I believe, is that B&N opted to leave 3G out of the new Nooks in part to keep the price of manufacturing them (and the retail price) down, and in part so that the cost of its business with AT&T would not increase. It ensures for the future that the number of 3G users B&N has on the network is finite, and that number will only decrease over time, not increase.

New User
NaomiT7406
0 Kudos

Re: What can you do with G?

Honestly, I don't think there is any reason for you to buy a back up.

However, if you seriously want to know... Nook 1st Edition 3G allows you to:

Read over 2.5 million books

Browse the Basic Web

Play games (Sudoku or Chess)

Look up words in the Dictionary

and

Battery lasts up to 10 days

Easy to read, even in the sunlight

LendMe lets you borrow books from family of friends with Nook

Keeps your spot in the book

Password Protect for getting onto it and purchase

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

shadowcat80 wrote:

There's been hinting on the forums, no where else as far as I can tell.  And, I really do not think think that 3G is going to vanish overnight in the near future as there are literally thousands, if not millions of cell phones out there that would suddenly not work.  It's more likely that 3G will run along side 4G for a long time.

Will B&N renew the 3G contract, that's another story?

I don't think that 3G service is going away anytime soon. The much older EDGE/GPRS service is still available (at least through T-Mobile) and I started getting wireless internet through that over 7-8 years ago. As bklvr said BN may decide to not renew the contract but I would be surprised if that happens anytime during the next 5-6 years as that is probably about how long the 3G capable nooks will be out there in use, not everyone can afford to upgrade if they still have a working device.