Contributor
goobysmootcher
0 Kudos

What happens if you DON'T fully charge before first use?

I got my refurbished Nook today (yaaay for BN sales on eBay) and am very anxious to try it out.  I read the directions which said to fully charge it before using it for the first time, and currently it is getting charged via power outlet.  

I searched the BN forum for threads about charging and read the tips, such as charging when the low battery light comes on, periodically letting the charge fully run out and then charging it to full, turning it off when storing for a week, etc.  But I saw nothing stating what happens if one doesn't charge it fully before using it for the first time.  Does it do permanent damage to the battery?

I am impatient! lol

Correspondent
Trazy
0 Kudos

Re: What happens if you DON'T fully charge before first use?

It can lead to what's termed as battery memory.  With modern batteries, it's good for them to charge them fully and then have them discharge fully a few times.

If you're impatient, just use it while it's plugged in! :smileyhappy:

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra
Contributor
goobysmootcher
0 Kudos

I knew obsessively reloading the page would pay off eventually.  lol

So by "fully charge it before using it for the first time" are they saying charge it fully before you use it *unplugged* for the first time?

I was baffled when they said fully charge it before using it since it can't charge unless it's on.

I'm so easily confused. :smileysad:

As for the battery memory, can't that be resolved by letting the charge go out completely and then recharging fully, and repeating this several times?

I wanna use my NOOK!! *twitch*

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

I would say, yes, it means let it fully charge before using it unplugged.  Go ahead and read, just have it plugged in.

Correspondent
Trazy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would also recommend (with any modern battery-driven device) to always let the battery go below 50% before ever hooking it to the charger.  I let my devices go to about 20-25%.  This will increase the longevity of your battery.  Have fun & grats on your new nook!

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Gooby I think you are in that group that needs a backup battery.:smileyhappy: Theres a thread here that has a link to best buy. They have them at 50% off. $15 will get you a nice shiny new battery in case your impatience wears down the current one.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Trazy wrote:

It can lead to what's termed as battery memory.  With modern batteries, it's good for them to charge them fully and then have them discharge fully a few times.

If you're impatient, just use it while it's plugged in! :smileyhappy:

This has been found out to be almost 100% inaccurate with li-ion batteries. It is not like the older batteries from 5-10 years ago that formed a sort of battery memory, li-ion does not do that..Its also why it doesn't require you to discharge the battery completely before the next charge.

http://batteryuniversity.com

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/memory_myth_or_fact

Distinguished Correspondent
Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

I might be the exception to the rule but I never charged my NOOK fully before I used it and I've never had an issue with the battery.

I hear that with new batteries it's not an issue and that there is no such thing as battery memory anymore.

I've also heard the opposite as well.  I say it doesn't matter, just charge it when it gets low.

Contributor
goobysmootcher
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info all.  I did start using the NOOK while it was charging and I feel like a kid at Christmas time.  I am very impressed with how easy on the eyes the display is.  I was definitely not expecting it to be this easy to look at.  Not having ever seen e-ink, I thought it would look more like an LCD screen. I am absolutely giddy.

And Anthony, I did already buy a backup battery thanks to that Best Buy thread.  :smileyvery-happy:

Anyway, thanks for the battery info.  My NOOK is fully charged and ready to go.  /happydance

Correspondent
Trazy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dyrinn45 wrote:

This has been found out to be almost 100% inaccurate with li-ion batteries. It is not like the older batteries from 5-10 years ago that formed a sort of battery memory, li-ion does not do that..Its also why it doesn't require you to discharge the battery completely before the next charge.

http://batteryuniversity.com

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/memory_myth_or_fact

Ah, I never realized lithium-ion batteries didn't have the memory-effect.  I just assumed they were like Nickel ones.  My bad.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life. 

*Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your NOOK when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your NOOK off for storage. If you are going to store your NOOK for
more that a week, turn it off. 

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

The NOOK's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the NOOK is fully charged; also restricting the power source.

To extend reading time battery life...

Update the NOOK to the latest software version.

Turn off the Wi-Fi.

Turn on the Airplane Mode which turns off the 3G antennae.

Set the Color Touchscreen to the shortest time available, 10 seconds.

Set the Color Touchscreen brightness to the lowest comfortable level.

Avoid using the Color Touchscreen.

Turn off the NOOK each night when not being read by pressing the power button for seven seconds.

Charge the NOOK when convenient via a computer USB port or a wall outlet.  The NOOK can be read while charging.  Leave the NOOK in Sleep Mode while charging while not reading.  A NOOK can't be overcharged.

New User
eelhc
0 Kudos

Since your Nook is refurbished I'm not so sure it doesn't matter.  It's whatever the original owner did with the Nook/Battery.  i'm sure Barnes and Noble would not replace the battery unles it was defective while refurbishing.

That said... It really isn't a big issue with modern batteries.

I would say they key thing to avoid are the temperature extremes.  Leave your nook inside a car in direct sunlight with the windows closed in the middle of August in Arizona for an afternoon or baking in the sand at the beach and the battery will die early.  I do know LOTS of people who killed their mobile phone batteries this way.  I've never have had a problem with my mobile phone battery dying before my contract is up and I'm due an upgrade since i never subject them to temperature extremes.