Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
PlowKing88
0 Kudos

What happens why you add additional memory?

I figured this would be a good a question as any to be my first post.  I am at 97% capacity on my Nooks memory.  I want to add a 16G micro sd (preferably a sdhc) card and am curious what happens to my nook once I add the extra memory?  Do I need to transfer anything over to the new card?  Do I need to format anything or does the Nook do it for me?  I am a bit nervous that I might lose some books when I add the card.  I appreciate any info.  Also thanks for all the informative posts I have been able to benefit or learn from.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: What happens why you add additional memory?

[ Edited ]

@PlowKing88

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Nothing happens "to" your Nook -- it's all upside and benefits as far as I'm concerned, especially if your main storage is so close to full capacity.

Your B&N Library MUST live in you main storage -- you can't move it.  Sideloaded files can be either in main storage or on your card.  So while there's no need to move anything to your card if you don't want to, you probably will want to move your My Documents folder to the card.

You'll also want to copy (not move) your Adobe files from your main storage to your card.  That way, Adobe Digital Editions will recognize your card and your main storage as two devices and let you move books to either.  To keep things easy, make sure that you give the card a unique drive name.

I've seen some posts from people who have had formatting issues, but I never have.  I bought a Sandisk 16GB from Amazon, slid it into my Nook, locked down the slide lock, and never looked back.  :smileyvery-happy:

PS Are you sure that you're at 97% capacity, not at 3% capacity?

*ETA*  All your books should be backed up on your computer anyway but if they aren't yet, make sure you do it before you install the card.  Just to be safe.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

PlowKing88 wrote:

I figured this would be a good a question as any to be my first post.  I am at 97% capacity on my Nooks memory.  I want to add a 16G micro sd (preferably a sdhc) card and am curious what happens to my nook once I add the extra memory?  Do I need to transfer anything over to the new card?  Do I need to format anything or does the Nook do it for me?  I am a bit nervous that I might lose some books when I add the card.  I appreciate any info.  Also thanks for all the informative posts I have been able to benefit or learn from.

As ABThree said - the nook setting shows available memory, not used, so you may only be at 3%.

You may want to check the user guide, page 163, for answers to some of your questions.  It's about files and folders, where you can put them, how to manage them and adding storage.

Congrats on both your new Nook and your first post.  

Happy reading.  :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Rocknsoul
0 Kudos

@PlowKing:

I only added 4 gb, but I followed the instructions in the manual & all went very well. The little "door" on the slot can be a little confusing, because it really does not move very much at all, so you want to be sure not to push it too hard (when you read the manual, you'll know what I mean). One thing to note is that in ADE, the main nook drive is "nook", and the storage card is "Nook".

I moved all of My Documents to the storage card & put all new sideloaded material there except borrowed library books.

@ABThree:

How do you name the drive? Does the name replace, say, the L:?

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Rocknsoul wrote:

@ABThree:

It ends up being much easier than you might think.

In "Computer/My Computer" view with your Nook tethered, just right click on the drive that represents the card, select "Rename", and change its name to what you want it to be.

The drive letter doesn't change, but the name does.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
Rocknsoul
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

Rocknsoul wrote:

@ABThree:

It ends up being much easier than you might think.

In "Computer/My Computer" view with your Nook tethered, just right click on the drive that represents the card, select "Rename", and change its name to what you want it to be.

The drive letter doesn't change, but the name does.

:smileyvery-happy: That's too easy!

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

What happens when you add additional memory? Your Nook will grow hair and its voice will deepen.

Sorry. I couldn't resist. As you were.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

ABthree you said:Your B&N Library MUST live in you main storage. Does that mean if we only purchase our ebooks from B&N and then download them directly onto our Nook (I have the original classic) that we cannot expand our B&N Library?  Guess I am both confused and wondering as I only buy my books from B&N!  Thanks for any help/clarification on this. 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

bjmbarb wrote:

ABthree you said:Your B&N Library MUST live in you main storage. Does that mean if we only purchase our ebooks from B&N and then download them directly onto our Nook (I have the original classic) that we cannot expand our B&N Library?  Guess I am both confused and wondering as I only buy my books from B&N!  Thanks for any help/clarification on this. 

B&N ebooks must live in the main system storage in order to be viewed through the B&N library.  Anything on the SD card will show up in My Documents, including B&N ebooks that have been moved.

Contributor
PlowKing88
0 Kudos

First off, thank you all for understanding what the hell I meant when I totally botched the subject header.  I'm glad you all knew I meant "when" while seeing the word "why".  I had a hunch the 97% meant available, but wasn't for certain and was posting out of fear if I was wrong and didn't have any extra storage space.  That you for clearing that up. 

ABthree
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

bjmbarb wrote:

B&N ebooks must live in the main system storage in order to be viewed through the B&N library.  Anything on the SD card will show up in My Documents, including B&N ebooks that have been moved.

Exactly.  You can purchase books from B&N and sideload them to the card, but they'll be treated as books bought from Kobo, Sony, etc., not like B&N Library books.  In other words, no cover flow, no Archiving and Unarchiving, no synching.  In addition, since B&N sees them as in your B&N Library, every time you check for new B&N content the B&N server will try to download them again to your Main Storage, whether you like it or not.

Hope that clarifies things. :smileyhappy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Correspondent
Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

Nallia wrote:

bjmbarb wrote:

Exactly.  You can purchase books from B&N and sideload them to the card, but they'll be treated as books bought from Kobo, Sony, etc., not like B&N Library books.  In other words, no cover flow, no Archiving and Unarchiving, no synching.  In addition, since B&N sees them as in your B&N Library, every time you check for new B&N content the B&N server will try to download them again to your Main Storage, whether you like it or not.

So does this mean that the original estimated ~1500 ebooks that the Nook can carry without expansion is all that we can have on our Nook from BN.com at one time unless we sideload or use other measures?

ABthree
0 Kudos

Whitecat5000 wrote:

So does this mean that the original estimated ~1500 ebooks that the Nook can carry without expansion is all that we can have on our Nook from BN.com at one time unless we sideload or use other measures?

Logically, that would be correct, if you include Archiving in "Other Measures". 

I've never seen a report of anyone even approaching a "1500 book limit" in the B&N Library, although there have  been reports of people running into management difficulties well short of that number. 

Personally, I suspect that the 1500 book number is a guesstimate on the same order as the 10-day battery life number. :smileywink:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
Eugene49
0 Kudos

So then - just for clarity and not saying one wants to....but if you moved the B&N books to MY Documents and then deleted them on the website, when you check for B&N content, they would not download again?

Again, not saying I want to do this - just clarifying if I understand.....ps - these threads have been very helpful!

ABthree
0 Kudos

Eugene49 wrote:

So then - just for clarity and not saying one wants to....but if you moved the B&N books to MY Documents and then deleted them on the website, when you check for B&N content, they would not download again?

Again, not saying I want to do this - just clarifying if I understand.....ps - these threads have been very helpful!

Yep -- they'd be gone for good from your B&N Library.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Eugene49 wrote:

Archiving them would work as well.

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

Thanks Nallia...I was just thnking that archiving would be an option. And thanks ABthree and all about your further input.  All good to know.

Distinguished Correspondent
blemons
0 Kudos

Eugene49 wrote:

Correct. 

I just want to add - that if you delete them from BN website, they are also gone for good from your BN library on the website (that is why they no longer try to download when you sync) - so your copy in "my documents" would be your only copy - so be sure to back them up to your PC or a hard-drive or something!  In other words, treat them like any other sideloaded book from this point on - not one you purchased from BN (although I think to open them, you would need your cc and name the first time on any device, to unlock the BN DRM).

Also, I am not sure about this, but I don't know if you can just "move" them to My Documents - or if you have to transfer or download them to your PC first and then move from your PC to My Documents.  Because books downloaded directly from BN never end up in My Documents (unless you sideload and put them there).

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Eugene49 wrote:

Definitely have. And all thanks to the OPs mistaking the % of space left for space used. (which I mistakenly did at the beginning as well, BTW)  Thanks for all the info guys!

LisaB

New User
Siusan
0 Kudos

By buying many "free" books, I have significantly exceeded the 1500 book limit, and now my nook can no longer update.  Archiving does not help, as archived books are still part of the library.

Customer support took a month to advise me of this limit, and suggested I "upgrade my storage".  As previously noted in this thread, this doesn't actually help, as it is considered separate from main memory.

This seems to me to be a fundamental problem with the nook software, as it is incapable of indexing a large number of books.