Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Re: What is ADE?

KingAl wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

racinjunkie wrote:

I'm saving for an actual nook but now I'm wondering if I should get one since I wan't to use it primarily for library books and I can't get this working. 

I assure you this works for the N1E (NOOK with white plastic frame) well because I have several public library books currently on mine.  I have never had any trouble with that.

I have absolutely no idea what the issue with a phone might be as I've never tried to put a publc library book on my phone, however.

Same here (have no problems loading library books onto the nook, but never tried on a phone.)

I didn't even know you could put library books on a phone (using the nook app, I'm guessing?). For some reason I thought it couldn't be done. I've read a lot of library books on my nook without any problems.

Reader
racinjunkie
0 Kudos

You're right, it can't be done.  I finally (after 3 customer service episodes (phone and email) troubleshooting it) got a response from BN that it can't be done, the app for phones doesn't support library books.

THANKS so much for the responses about loading library books onto the actual nook!!!

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

racinjunkie wrote:

You're right, it can't be done.  I finally (after 3 customer service episodes (phone and email) troubleshooting it) got a response from BN that it can't be done, the app for phones doesn't support library books.

THANKS so much for the responses about loading library books onto the actual nook!!!

If you have an Android phone, this will work with Library books:

http://www.aldiko.com/features.html

New User
nagle_co
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to load a loaned library book on my wife's Nook1E. I'm not sure that it's been done before.

A long time ago, I downloaded and registered ADE and activated it on my computer.  I'm certain I plugged in my wife's Nook1E and registered it as well in anticipation of checking out ebooks.

My wife just checked out a book.

I downloaded the book and it is in ADE.

I can read the book in ADE.

I drag the book onto the nook library in ADE and it makes a copy.

I "eject" the Nook and find it listed in My Documents.

I select the book to read and I get a screen "Opening Document", flashes a bit, then I get "User not activated".  The book listing does not show the author, but there is an author listed in ADE.

What does this mean?

I did change my wife's B&N account since I bought my daughter a new Nook to differentiate the two accounts (maybe changed the name on the account).  I don't recall if I changed anything on the Nook itself.

Is the Nook1E somehow not registered?  How do I re-register it?  When I plug the Nook to the computer with ADE running, there is no offer to register/re-register the Nook.

How do I fixe this?  The book is checked out for 7days, so it woudl be helpful to have this fixed soon.  Thank you!

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's in the links above, but here it is again... FrogAlum's excellent guide:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...

You need to tell ADE to re-authorize the device.