Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
DeedlesDH
0 Kudos

What is ADE?

...And do I really need it?

Newbie here trying to learn this new ebook language!

Distinguished Correspondent
Saint_Nookolas

Re: What is ADE?

ADE: Adobe Digital Editions (it's an e-book formatting and reading program).  There are others on this board more qualified to explain the pros and cons of it better than me, but you can learn more about it in the Nook User Guide.  

Hope that helps.  Enjoy your new Nook!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DeedlesDH wrote:

...And do I really need it?

Newbie here trying to learn this new ebook language!

If you plan on purchasing any books from vendors other than B&N (Sony, Kobo, Borders just to name a few) or if you plan on borrowing library books, then yes you need it.

Doug Pardee has some wonderful links to help find eBooks from other sources and how to get them on your nook:

Click for a list of some e-book sources for NOOK
Click to learn how to put Sony e-books on a NOOK

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos
Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

I got it when I went to Fictionwise. :smileyhappy:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

ADE, Adobe Digital Editions, is the free software that you need to have in order to use e-books that are in "Adobe EPUB" format (that's the usual term).

That includes e-books you check out from the public library (usually), and e-books that you buy from places other than B&N (usually). Adobe EPUB is the dominant format for e-books with DRM (Digital Rights Management, aka copy protection).

Contributor
DeedlesDH
0 Kudos

If the Nook can read the EPUB format, why do I need special software? Guess I'm just not sure exactly what it does...but I'll go find it and download it if ya'll say I need it! :smileywink:

Correspondent
bookitID
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DeedlesDH wrote:

If the Nook can read the EPUB format, why do I need special software? Guess I'm just not sure exactly what it does...but I'll go find it and download it if ya'll say I need it! :smileywink:

Most books you buy from B&N are in secure EPUB/PDB formats. You don't need ADE for those books, since they will automatically appear on your nook or B&N reader on your computer.

You need ADE to open books that are in secure EPUB/PDF formats that you bought from other sites (Fictionwise, etc). Once the books are in ADE, you can then transfer them to the nook.

BTW, secure EPUB means the books have DRM attached to the file. ADE is used to open a file in DRM-EPUB/PDF formats. When you download a secure EPUB file after buying it from a different site (not B&N), it's not in a format that you can read. ADE deciphers that format so you can read the book.

If you want to borrow ebooks from the library, you'll need ADE to move the book to the nook.

There are instructions on how to install/setup ADE listed in links from other users on the nook board as well as at the sites you're buying the books from.

So basically, if you plan to only buy ebooks from B&N and don't plan on borrowing ebooks from the library, then you don't need to install ADE.

I hope that answers your question about the necessity of needing ADE. If you have more questions, just ask.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

bookitID wrote:

DeedlesDH wrote:

Most books you buy from B&N are in secure EPUB/PDB formats. You don't need ADE for those books, since they will automatically appear on your nook or B&N reader on your computer.

Some clarification.  You don't need ADE to read on the Nook because the Nook includes Adobe Reader Mobile code.  This,among other things, decodes two different DRM's.  One that's connected with your Adobe ID and is currently used by Sony, Kobo (Borders), Overdrive (i.e. most libraries with Ebooks), and others.  And one that is based on the one previously used by Ereader.com and later Fictionwise and now B&N.  This second one can use various "social contents" to protect items.  B&N uses your name and a credit card number.

ADE is needed to retrieve the necessary token for books using its Adobe ID based DRM.  At a minimum you must retrieve this token once and place it on your Nook in order to read books that are based on the 1st DRM.  For the "Social Contents" DRM you just need to know that info in order to read books.  When you register your Nook with B&N it automatically places the necessary "social Contents" token based on your registered name and default Credit Card on your Nook.  When downloading ADE does not Decipher the book, but of course it includes code that allows you to decipher the book using the token when you open it for read, and once you authorize the Nook  it can do so as well.

ADE includes code that supports downloading and managing books from servers running Adobe's Content Server 4.  For some eBook sites, e.g.. Overdrive, you must use ADE to download your books.  For others, e.g.. B&N and Sony, their own code includes the necessary download code.  For sites such as the Libraries using Overdrive, ADE and the Nook honors a return date beyond which you cannot open a book.

Adobe supports using its DRM to lots of media formats.  For the Nook that means that Epub's and PDF's that have DRM applied.  The current version of ADE only supports Adobe original DRM but a new version will include the "social Content" DRM.

Contributor
DeedlesDH
0 Kudos

OK...that's alot clearer, it's all beginning to make sense. I've been buying ebooks from eReader for years so I'm familiar with having to have the CC # to unlock the books. Luckily that's easy to change when you change payment methods/cards. I hope it's as easy elsewhere. Most of the books I have on the Nook now were sideloaded PDB files from my HD.

I hate the Fictionwise site! I've never been able to navigate it and find anything so I have a feeling there'll be very little, if anything, purchased from there. In fact, after someone mentioning they got it there, I spent 2 hours there last night trying to find the ADE software and finally gave up. My brain finally kicked in and I found it at Adobe.

Thanks again!

Dee

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

[ Edited ]

DeedlesDH wrote:

If the Nook can read the EPUB format, why do I need special software?

You will need ADE to authorize your NOOK with your Adobe account. This is a one-time operation.

You need ADE in order to download each Adobe EPUB e-book to your computer. In the case of Sony, you use Sony Reader Library instead, which includes ADE code. This is the big thing you need ADE for.

If you check out library e-books, you'll not only need ADE to download the e-books, you'll probably need to use ADE to install the library e-books onto your NOOK and to remove them when you're done. You can also use ADE to return a library e-book early, which is a nice gesture because most library e-books have waiting lists.

You could use ADE to read an Adobe EPUB (or plain EPUB) e-book on your computer.

You could use ADE to organize your library of Adobe EPUBs and plain EPUBs.

By the way, ADE also handles PDFs, including those with Adobe DRM, but PDFs aren't much fun on a NOOK.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

How to download library ebooks

Necessary software and authorization:

1.  Download the Adobe Digital Editions software from http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/.

2.  Open Adobe Digital Editions.  It should prompt you to create an Adobe account or to login to your existing account and then to authorize your computer as one of your five devices. Follow the click through path to authorize the device. 

3.  Attach your nook to your computer via USB which ADE is open.  ADE will prompt you to authorize your NOOK.  Follow the click through path to authorize the device.

To search for library titles:

1.  Go to your local library’s website or search for a particular library online.  You can search for library websites that contain ebook content from Overdrive’s website at http://search.overdrive.com.  Searching by zip code will give you public libraries that have eBook content within 100 miles of the zipcode.

2.  Once you are the library’s eBook site, you will need a library card/account in order to checkout eBooks.

3.  Once logged in, you can search for titles in the following ways

• Entering title/keywords in the search bar
  • Browse by format
  • Browse by subject

4.  eBook titles will appear with format specific indicators (i.e. PDF or ePub) and with icons to display what devices it can be downloaded to.  (Note there is not a way to directly put it on your eReader device, which is why you need to use Adobe Digital Editions)

5.  When trying borrow an eBook title from the library, there will be two options.  The option name varies from library to library but they have the same idea.  For this guide, I will use New York Public Library’s terms and format, which is to request the item or add the item to your eList

• eList is adding the items to your account “queue” in order to “check out” the title.  “Check out” means downloading it to the location on the PC that Adobe Digital Editions is authorized on.
  • Requesting an item – The title that you select might be checked out already by another individual.  You can put a request for the title and the library will email you when the title becomes available to borrow.

What to do with the title:

1.  Once you have checked out a title from your local library, download it to your computer.  Once you hit the download button, the file that you will be prompted to download is a “.acsm” file.

2.  Click open and the file will open up in ADE and refresh your library with new content.  The title will display the amount of days you have left in the loan period.  You can also save the .acsm file to your PC and open the file in ADE.

3.  Go to the library view.  Drag the title to the “NOOK” icon.

4.  Undock the NOOK from your computer.

5.  In the Library, open My Documents.

6.  The title should be available to be read for the period of time specified by the library.

Contributor
DeedlesDH
0 Kudos

Thanks again, Doug and Michael. I didn't know the Nook had to be authorized with ADE, I'll do that today.

You guys are awesome! 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@DeedlesDH,

You are welcome and welcome aboard!

New User
chattykathy
0 Kudos

well i'm totally bummed. i live in a stupid little town that doesn't have jack - which is why i bought a nook so that i would have access to books (not that i don't like country living, but sometimes i get frustrated when i want to read). our library doesn't have ebooks.  from what i understand, to have a library card, i would have to live in the town the library is in. so, is there any special way (for nook owners) to set up an account with a library in a city that you don't live in?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

chattykathy wrote:

from what i understand, to have a library card, i would have to live in the town the library is in. so, is there any special way (for nook owners) to set up an account with a library in a city that you don't live in?

The Free Library of Philadelphia will issue a library card to non Philadelphia residents for $15.  (If you happen to be in PA and have a library card to your local library, your FLP card will be free.  Mine was.)

Your county library system may have ebooks, or your state may allow you to get a library card to another library in the state.

Enter info here:    http://search.overdrive.com/classic/     to see where you might have library ebooks available.

See this thread:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Free-Library-of-Philadelphia/td-p/541...

It starts talking about FLP, but other libraries who will issue nonresidents cards are mentioned.  I know there are other threads with more info, too.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

The Free Library of Philadelphia, allows anyone to join for $15.00. They have a printable form on the web site to fill in and mail with a check. No ability to join on line.

I mailed mine off today, in anticipation of a move later this year to Michigan's Upper Peninsula with smaller libraries than I am used to.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Reader
racinjunkie
0 Kudos

I followed all the instructions above but still can't read the book.  I d/l'd two books to ADE, drug them both to the icon (I'm using the nook app on my droid.)  After multiple powering on and off, unloading and reloading the books, etc. I finally got one of the books to show in "my files" on the phone.  However, it won't open.  If I click once I get a blank page for a few seconds then I'm directed back to the page showing the book's cover.  If I hold on the icon and chose "go to" I get a force close error.

I'm saving for an actual nook but now I'm wondering if I should get one since I wan't to use it primarily for library books and I can't get this working.  I'm also terribly disappointed with the lack of response to issues that I've seen on these boards...

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

racinjunkie wrote:

I'm saving for an actual nook but now I'm wondering if I should get one since I wan't to use it primarily for library books and I can't get this working. 

I assure you this works for the N1E (NOOK with white plastic frame) well because I have several public library books currently on mine.  I have never had any trouble with that.

I have absolutely no idea what the issue with a phone might be as I've never tried to put a publc library book on my phone, however.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

racinjunkie wrote:

I'm saving for an actual nook but now I'm wondering if I should get one since I wan't to use it primarily for library books and I can't get this working. 

I assure you this works for the N1E (NOOK with white plastic frame) well because I have several public library books currently on mine.  I have never had any trouble with that.

I have absolutely no idea what the issue with a phone might be as I've never tried to put a publc library book on my phone, however.

Same here (have no problems loading library books onto the nook, but never tried on a phone.)