Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
krolique
0 Kudos

What is a Nook?

I just bought a Nook.

But what have I bought? I can not use this device without registering it!!!!

Does this registration mean I'm only leasing this device from BN and which I may not use if BN doesn't allow me to do so. An example of this inconvenience is portrait in the following:

Say I am located in the remote jungles of Cambodia and there (I've picked this just as an example. If the free people of Cambodia have since reached high peak of tcp/ip mastery already practice the shameful art of networking - please excuse me) is no internet to "register" the device. How can I use a device for which I've paid?

If i have only paid to lease this, fine but please let me know. What does paying $250 to BN mean and what do I have in my hands?

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

Re: What is a Nook?

You bought a nook.. it belongs to you permanently non B&N

Contributor
krolique
0 Kudos

Why do I have to register it to use it?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

You own your NOOK. You aren't leasing it.

You "register" your NOOK to your B&N account in order to buy and download B&N e-books. B&N e-books are only available in the US and, for some items, in Canada. If you're seriously going to be using your NOOK outside of the US very much, you'll need to buy and download your e-books while you're in the US (or maybe Canada).

The e-books reside on your NOOK. Once you've downloaded them, you don't need the wireless. You can take your NOOK anywhere and read the e-books you've already downloaded, with no Internet connection needed.

You can also "sideload" e-books from a computer rather than using wireless. In fact, this is required for e-books you buy from anywhere except from B&N.

Contributor
krolique
0 Kudos

Lets say I have all my books downloaded and saved locally. I reset the device because, there's a glitch with the o/s and the only way around it is to reset the device. I then have no internet (my wifi is really crappy) I can't do anything at this point. Unless this device registers itself with BN it is useless for purposes of reading books. Even though you have them locally...

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

If you really just bought your nook, as you say, why did you pay $250?

Contributor
krolique
0 Kudos

pardon, i dont follow. explain plz

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Nook has been $199 since June.  Or are you talking about a nookcolor?

Contributor
krolique
0 Kudos

oui, color is very nice. i see in full spectrum =)

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Since a Nook WiFi goes for $149 and a Nook WiFi/3G is $199 and a Nook has never been $250, I believe the PP is asking what you bought.  Did you buy a NookColor perhaps?

Did you really spend $250 without asking any questions at the store or doing any research?

Contributor
krolique
0 Kudos

I've been following the nook for sometime. I thought the non color one was nice but I've never thought of asking the following:

This device, in order to use it I must ask explicit permission from BN.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

krolique wrote:

I've been following the nook for sometime. I thought the non color one was nice but I've never thought of asking the following:

This device, in order to use it I must ask explicit permission from BN.

You're not asking permission, you're registering it so you can purchase and download books directly to it.  If you don't want to, don't, buy all your books elsewhere and sideload them via the PC.  Take it back and buy something you don't have to register if it bothers you that much.

Contributor
krolique
0 Kudos

yea @250 I figured the only way to subsidize the cost of the deice was through forced purchasing. so it's more like a BN Nook rather than e-book reader en-masse. Thank you.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

krolique wrote:

yea @250 I figured the only way to subsidize the cost of the deice was through forced purchasing. so it's more like a BN Nook rather than e-book reader en-masse. Thank you.

No that's what Amazon does.  On a Nook, you can download and read eBooks books from just about anywhere except Amazon and Apple.  You don't ever have to buy a book from B&N if you don't want to. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

On a Nook, you can download and read eBooks books from just about anywhere except Amazon and Apple.  You don't ever have to buy a book from B&N if you don't want to. 

On a related note - the only reason you "have to" register is so that you *can* buy ebooks from B&N.

If you don't want to purchase a B&N ebook, you can choose to NEVER REGISTER YOUR NOOK.

Contributor
krolique
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

On a Nook, you can download and read eBooks books from just about anywhere except Amazon and Apple.  You don't ever have to buy a book from B&N if you don't want to. 

On a related note - the only reason you "have to" register is so that you *can* buy ebooks from B&N.

If you don't want to purchase a B&N ebook, you can choose to NEVER REGISTER YOUR NOOK.

No, I must register 

Step 1: Agree to our terms (I dont even know why there's an option to opt out)

Step 2: Register, unless you register there's NOTHING else you can DO. Wifi isn't working ? TOO BAD. etc 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

krolique wrote:

No, I must register 

Step 2: Register, unless you register there's NOTHING else you can DO. Wifi isn't working ? TOO BAD. etc 

The registration is for Barnes and Noble ebooks only. You can sideload ebooks from anywhere that sells Adobe EPUB with or without registering your NOOK.

Tons of people buy NOOKs for their children and don't register them and they can read sideloaded content perfectly. It isn't as convenient, but it works fine.

Contributor
krolique
0 Kudos

How? like you boot the nook, it wont even go to the screen where you can select a book unless you complete the registration section. That's it

I just deregistered the nook and cleared all data. I am at the prompt that says: "Select the wireless network that you want to use." Continue with setup button is grayed out and I can't go anywhere else. The device is stuck unless I register over some wifi

flyingtoastr wrote:

krolique wrote:

No, I must register 

The registration is for Barnes and Noble ebooks only. You can sideload ebooks from anywhere that sells Adobe EPUB with or without registering your NOOK.

Tons of people buy NOOKs for their children and don't register them and they can read sideloaded content perfectly. It isn't as convenient, but it works fine.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

krolique wrote:

How? like you boot the nook, it wont even go to the screen where you can select a book unless you complete the registration section. That's it

I just deregistered the nook and cleared all data. I am at the prompt that says: "Select the wireless network that you want to use." Continue with setup button is grayed out and I can't go anywhere else. The device is stuck unless I register over some wifi

Ok, maybe you have to register a NookColor, I have no experience with the NookColor, but you certainly don't have to do anything with B&N once it's registered.  But again, I really do not understand what the problem is with registering it.

Contributor
krolique
0 Kudos

Because I see this device as another DRM ploy instead of buying something that is "Free and Fair" (I'm sure this message board can be filled with pro and contra arguments to no apparent end). As you have said BN was different from Amazon and Apple, perhaps I am naive but I don't see how.