Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

What is a Zombie Thread?

Saw that term for the first time tonite.  Just curious.  Thanks....

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: What is a Zombie Thread?

I've never heard the term before but I'll bet it has to do with looking for brains... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I believe they are referring to very old threads that have resurrected by a poster.  Someone finds a year or more old thread and responds to it.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

That would make sense and also falls in line with my prior theory... :smileywink:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

Some refer to them as dead threads, some like the term "thread necromancy."  I used the term, "zombie thread," in an effort to inject a bit of humor and as a nod to past threads that were ressurected.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Some refer to them as dead threads, some like the term "thread necromancy."  I used the term, "zombie thread," in an effort to inject a bit of humor and as a nod to past threads that were ressurected.  :smileyhappy:

Thread necromancy.  I love it.  We seem to have a lot of necromancers lately.  Maybe it's because we're getting close to Halloween? :smileywink:

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Or maybe it's because people can't comprehend posting dates.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram

I believe for our purposes this is the origin of 'Zombie thread";

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Random-House-to-Adopt-Agency-Model-St...

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Target practice for a shotgun? :smileyvery-happy:

Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
keriflur
0 Kudos

sygram wrote:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Random-House-to-Adopt-Agency-Model-St...

That thread is a black hole.  I started reading it, then looked up and 20 minutes had passed.  LOL!

Nallia
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

sygram wrote:

That thread is a black hole.  I started reading it, then looked up and 20 minutes had passed.  LOL!

Ah, but every minute is worth it.

Good times...

Nallia

This is still my favorite post on any forum on the whole Interwebz, ever:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Devon took one last swing at what had once been a magnificent stallion, but now was destined to become dog food. The heavy stick landed with a thump on the animal's flank, but it didn't have any more effect than the previous six hundred or so attempts. Agency Model just lay there, inert. And Devon's plow wasn't going anywhere, either.

He pondered the situation, then trotted off toward the barn. It was almost sundown before he'd finished the task of hitching up a team of six dead horses. Certainly that would be enough horsepower to make a furrow. Exhausted from the effort of dragging necrotic equines around, he sat down on a stump, took a long pull on his canteen, and wiped his brow.

Devon's girlfriend Ellie climbed over the nearby fence and ambled in his direction. "Hey, is that my peasant blouse you're wiping your brow with?"

"Um, no." He figured that the gloom of dusk would hide the evidence of his little fetish. Peasant blouse, handkerchief, they all look the same in the dark, right?

Ellie squared up in front of him, planted her boots a couple of feet apart, and parked her hands on her hips. "Is so. Gimme." She grabbed a corner of the fabric, but Devon held on. "I said, gimme!"

Devon tried to figure a way out of this pickle. It'd be bad enough if it was her blouse. It'd be even worse if it wasn't her blouse. "It's just my handkerchief." Quick thinker, that Devon. "Run home and see if your blouse isn't—"

He gaped at the horses. All six of them were standing, and they were pulling the harness tight against the whippletree. Devon lunged for the plow handles and caught them just in time; the plow sliced through the earth of The Apocalypse Farm, powered by the team of zombie horses. The blouse, alas, was firmly clenched between his hand and the plow handle, and Ellie's stubborn refusal to let go resulted in it being ripped right through the bodice.

THE END.

Bonus material: It's still National Grammar Day here, and you'll notice in the third paragraph that there are no commas around Ellie's name. That makes it a restrictive rather than nonrestrictive appositive. Commas are important.

keriflur
0 Kudos

I'm resisting the urge to zombify that thread, since it is the original zombie thread and somehow managed to go unzombified all these months...

It's kinda funny when I see a zombie thread from my first go-round on the boards (I went on hiatus after the hullabaloo from the first agency model upheaval died down back in 2010).  It's like I never left...

Nallia
0 Kudos

I remember when you left and was happy to see you again when you came back.  :smileyhappy: 

I keep trying to find a reason to post to it and resurrect it, but I never do.  lol

keriflur
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram

Nallia wrote:

I remember when you left and was happy to see you again when you came back.  :smileyhappy: 

I keep trying to find a reason to post to it and resurrect it, but I never do.  lol

ALIVE, IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!! Muahahahahahahahaaaaa *cough* *gasp* *hack* *cough* *cough* *cough*

New User
kdog5000
0 Kudos

Sometimes the irony is just too good to pass up.