Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
grammy57
0 Kudos

What is the difference between a white Nook Classic and the Grey one?

I am looking to get a Nook. I'm shopping on Ebay because it seems like so many people like the Nook 1st generation, now called the Nook Classic, I think. Anyway, I see they have ones listed as white and others listed as grey. Somewhere online I read that the white is better but I don't know why or what the difference is. Any help is appreciated. Also, one other question, can you play Sudoku on this?

Thanks.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: What is the difference between a white Nook Classic and the Grey one?

The Gray N1Es have 3G.  Original Retail price was $249 and dropped to $199.

The White N1Es are Wifi only.  Retail price was $149.

Both have Sudoku.

New User
grammy57
0 Kudos

Thanks so much.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

The Gray N1Es have 3G.  Original Retail price was $249 and dropped to $199.

The White N1Es are Wifi only.  Retail price was $149.

Both have Sudoku.

I have the original nook and it is white with 3G and Wifi.  I think the grey came out later to correct cracked bezel, but still had 3G and Wifi (I think).  I know that the white does have both.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

TXAnnie wrote:

I have the original nook and it is white with 3G and Wifi.  

Then I am mistaken.

I was under the impression that all N1E 3Gs had gray backs and all N1E Wifis had white backs.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm looking at my 3g N1E right now and it's a color that some might describe as greyish-white (i.e., white) and others might describe as pale grey.  My 3g N1E is one of the original original nooks, purchased in December 2009 when they released, and received in January 2010.

So, IMO, I'm not sure I would go by how the person selling it describes the color.  Ask (if they don't mention it) if it's 3g+Wifi or Wifi-only.  Also, If it were me I'd look for one that's newer (has a more recent purchase date), that the person purchased new (meaning they didn't buy a refurb), because the newer ones are less likely to have the button-crack issue.

Also, the very first nooks to roll off the assembly line have black plastic at the very bottom where the charging and headphone sockets are.  These nooks were definitely produced before B&N fixed the button-crack issue, so I wouldn't recommending buying one of these either.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

TXAnnie wrote:

I have the original nook and it is white with 3G and Wifi.  

Then I am mistaken.

I was under the impression that all N1E 3Gs had gray backs and all N1E Wifis had white backs.

Oh, the backs, not the fronts.  LOL. I was looking at the front.

FWIW, I wouldn't go by this either, as the backs are interchangeable.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Oh, the backs, not the fronts.  LOL. I was looking at the front.

FWIW, I wouldn't go by this either, as the backs are interchangeable.

I assumed that that's what the OP meant; the fronts are all white.  LOL.  :smileytongue:

Good point about the backs, though...