Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

ADW
New User
ADW
0 Kudos

What's the best light for the nook?

I'm just about to buy a nook, after carefully checking out the various brands. But there's one thing that I'm still not sure of--the best way to provide light for night time reading.

I've read good and bad about the Kandle, and I'm not sure how to judge it. Most other lights seem to be unstable or dim. The best light that I've read about so far is the Mighty Bright LED, but I have some worries about it. Will the clip fit the nook and be stable? And is there a possibility that it might scratch the nook?

If anyone can offer advice and opinions on these and other products, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos
Contributor
3bondgirls
0 Kudos

Re: What's the best light for the nook?

I just got my Lyra last week.  It's okay, but I would prefer a brighter light and it does have a glare no matter how I position the light.  Also I have to push the button sometime times 3 or 4 times for the light to stay on.  It's not enough for me to return it, but it is frustrating sometimes. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

3bondgirls wrote:

I just got my Lyra last week.  It's okay, but I would prefer a brighter light and it does have a glare no matter how I position the light.  Also I have to push the button sometime times 3 or 4 times for the light to stay on.  It's not enough for me to return it, but it is frustrating sometimes. 

I think they are shipped with cheap batteries, I didn't have any problems after I put new ones in.

Contributor
3bondgirls
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that.  Silly me, I thought they would be fine. :smileysurprised:

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

I have a Mighty Brite and a LightWedge. The Mighty Brite doesn't really clip well directly to the nook, but I can clip it to the back of the Industriell Easel cover. 

The paperback version of the LightWedge fits nicely over the nook - it's not a perfect fit, but it's not bad. I prefer using this when I'm in total darkness.  I don't think it's for everyone - it's not as bright, you have to read through the acrylic screen, the light is uneven - but I love it. It's more of a gentle illumination, so you don't end up with horrible night blindness when you switch it off. Just remember, if you buy the LightWedge make sure you attach the little extra plastic piece. It's easy to miss it in the packaging, but it makes it so you can rest the wedge on top of the nook without it sliding off. 

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I have the Mighty Bright XtraFlex http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lights/79/ProductDetail.html (got mine at Radio Shack).  I clip it on to the back cover.  There's one glare spot, but I can position it to put the glare on the white part of the nook and still get plenty of light.  It has two settings also and takes three AAA batteries.  Some say it's too heavy, but I don't think so.  If you like colors, it comes in some great colors. 

If you're looking to get a cover, www.medgestore.com has a light that folds down into a few of its covers.  Some posters really like it.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

ADW wrote:

I'm just about to buy a nook, after carefully checking out the various brands. But there's one thing that I'm still not sure of--the best way to provide light for night time reading.

I've read good and bad about the Kandle, and I'm not sure how to judge it. Most other lights seem to be unstable or dim. The best light that I've read about so far is the Mighty Bright LED, but I have some worries about it. Will the clip fit the nook and be stable? And is there a possibility that it might scratch the nook?

If anyone can offer advice and opinions on these and other products, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

I have the M-Edge Executive Jacket with the lite that slips in the back pocket of the jacket behind the unit.  Works great for me.  Got it at Bestbuy.com for $19.99 + 4.99 s/h
Frequent Contributor
AvalonMP
0 Kudos

I also really like the light I got from M edge. The reason I selected it over the B& N version is the battery. The M edge light takes a AAA and is said to last 20 hours on one battery. The B & N uses much more expensive batteries. I figured I'd save money in the long run on battery expenses, and I LOVE that the light fits into the executive cover so it's always handy, but never in the way.

~If you work hard and are kind, amazing things will happen. -C.O.
Reader
SayYou
0 Kudos

I bought a M-Edge cover and light for my NOOK.  It works great...a little pricey but I carry my NOOK in my bag and I worried about damage.  Also found a 20% discount online for the store. I chose a case that has a slot for the light, so it stays out of the way when not needed.  It did add some weight to the nook, but I've gotten used to it.

Contributor
nookfan249
0 Kudos

I purchased my cover and light from MEDGE.  I got a 20% discount using promo code LUVEDGE1.  I also got an additional 10% off of the light since I was purchasing a cover - got the light and Executive leather case.  Love that the light fits in the case.

Contributor
madmak
0 Kudos

Posting my message from a different thread

For those unwilling to spend big bucks on a light and dont mind trying 'interesting' things, I recommend this light

http://www.meritline.com/led-flashlight-206-flesh---p-25400.aspx

They have periodic sale on them, so you can snag them for $2 or $3.

You wear the headband and the light shines directly on the nook (unlike the book lights where the light comes side on). Because of that you get uniform illumination. Also since the light is attached to you head, it moves with your focus point and ensures that the line you are reading is always illuminated.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

madmak wrote:

Posting my message from a different thread

For those unwilling to spend big bucks on a light and dont mind trying 'interesting' things, I recommend this light

http://www.meritline.com/led-flashlight-206-flesh---p-25400.aspx

They have periodic sale on them, so you can snag them for $2 or $3.

You wear the headband and the light shines directly on the nook (unlike the book lights where the light comes side on). Because of that you get uniform illumination. Also since the light is attached to you head, it moves with your focus point and ensures that the line you are reading is always illuminated.

I wonder if this would result in one having a "nook hair day."  :smileywink:

Contributor
dynalmadman
0 Kudos

For those on an extreme budget.....

Book Light

Add a 20 pack of batteries and get it all delivered for $7.81.  Yes, including delivery.

Got great reviews on some of the other nook boards, so I figured, how could I lose?

Michael

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I'm on my third light.  I bought the Mighty Brite light first.  It takes 3 batteries and was way to heavy.  Also, I have carpel tunnel in both hands and found the battery case cover impossible to get off.  I finally did, I don't remember how, but I just tried right now to get it off and I couldn't. (I've currently got it clipped to my keyboard which is black and sometimes hard to see, but one the batteries go, not sure what I'll do)

I then bought the Mighty Brite Travel light.  It only takes one battery, is not as heavy, not quite as bright though, as it only has one LED rather than 2.  I still didn't like the feel of clipping on to the nook or the back of the cover.  It would sometimes slip around.

I just got M-edge illuminator light today.  It slides under my Nook just fine in the cover I have.  I like that part a lot, it feels more a part of the Nook that an addon.  There are two brightness settings, the brightest looks like it will work well, but I'll know more after I read tonite.  It takes 1 AAA battery.

Contributor
LS-Indy
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I'm on my third light.  I bought the Mighty Brite light first.  It takes 3 batteries and was way to heavy.  Also, I have carpel tunnel in both hands and found the battery case cover impossible to get off.  I finally did, I don't remember how, but I just tried right now to get it off and I couldn't. (I've currently got it clipped to my keyboard which is black and sometimes hard to see, but one the batteries go, not sure what I'll do)

I then bought the Mighty Brite Travel light.  It only takes one battery, is not as heavy, not quite as bright though, as it only has one LED rather than 2.  I still didn't like the feel of clipping on to the nook or the back of the cover.  It would sometimes slip around.

I just got M-edge illuminator light today.  It slides under my Nook just fine in the cover I have.  I like that part a lot, it feels more a part of the Nook that an addon.  There are two brightness settings, the brightest looks like it will work well, but I'll know more after I read tonite.  It takes 1 AAA battery.

What cover are you using with the M-edge light???

Contributor
ScottF
0 Kudos

AvalonMP wrote:

I also really like the light I got from M edge. The reason I selected it over the B& N version is the battery. The M edge light takes a AAA and is said to last 20 hours on one battery. The B & N uses much more expensive batteries. I figured I'd save money in the long run on battery expenses, and I LOVE that the light fits into the executive cover so it's always handy, but never in the way.

Yep, I'll have to second that. I am very happy with my M-Edge cover and light.

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Frequent Contributor
Urban_Casey
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Walmart has a book light that only costs $1.67.  It is very lightweight (less than an ounce) so it will not crack your Nook and it's compact.  The book light provides just enough light to comfortably see the screen without an annoying reflective glare.

When you change your focus, you will change your results.