Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
djohde
0 Kudos

Re: When do you think it will happen?

Amen to publishers getting involved in the price wars.  I have been an ebook buyer for almost 11 years and so far very few publishers really support ebooks.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Jenniisme wrote:

I went to Amazon, typed in Kindle and am getting a price of 189.........I cannot find the 259. price anymore.

Yep, the war is on...  I wonder if it ends here or does B&N match it?

I doubt we'll see the prices change any further. The nook lite is still cheaper than the Kindle and is completely full featured.

Interesting that the DX hasn't had its price lowered yet though. It now seems kinda ludicrous to pay that much.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Interesting that the DX hasn't had its price lowered yet though. It now seems kinda ludicrous to pay that much.

It doesn't currently have any real competition.  iPad really isn't an ereader.  Most of the ereaders on the market are smaller and don't handle PDF anywhere near as well as DX does.  it is too big for me but I have seen one and they handle zoom and graphics really well for an eink screen..

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

The Amazon Press Release...

AMAZON KINDLE NOW ONLY $189Still with free 3G wireless--no monthly fees or annual contracts

SEATTLE, Jun 21, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) --Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) today announced that Amazon Kindle, the best e-reader on the market (see this recent press release from the world's leading consumer reporting organization--http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/2010/06/amazons-kindle-tops-cr-ebook-reader-ratings.h...), is now only $189, down from $259. Kindle is the 3G wireless portable reader that allows you to think of a book and be reading in 60 seconds, from wherever you happen to be. Easy to read even in bright sunlight, the 10.2 ounce Kindle is light enough for one-handed reading. Even though it's a 3G wireless device, Kindle has no monthly fees or annual contracts. The Kindle Store includes over 600,000 books and the largest selection of the most popular books people want to read, including 109 of 112 New York Times Bestsellers and New Releases from $9.99. In addition, over 1.8 million free, out-of-copyright, pre-1923 books are available to read on Kindle. Since its release, Kindle has been the #1 bestselling product across the millions of items sold on Amazon. Kindle is in stock and available for immediate shipment at the new lower price of $189. Learn more at www.amazon.com/kindle.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

And the Borders app was released today and the new readers in a week and the Borders store on 7/16...  Like I said, good business sense in trying to gain market share.  These readers are getting to be like razors, they aren't interested so much in the profit from the reader, they want the profit from the blades-the books!

Very true. I just think they are doing whatever they can to keep the market share they have.  BTW, ibooks looks much better than I thought it would on the iPhone.  I can't wait to see how crisp the text will be on iPhone 4.

I'm updating my phone now...  I'll let you know what I honestly think about the iBooks app.

I have to admit that the iBooks phone app blows all the others away with ONE exception, they really need to add the white on black option for night reading...  Other than that, that thing rocks.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

I have to admit that the iBooks phone app blows all the others away with ONE exception, they really need to add the white on black option for night reading...  Other than that, that thing rocks.

But you can dim the iPhone/iPad at night so that helps a lot too.  I like that the app is available.  it lets more people see why iBooks was such  big deal for iPad.  Still I wouldn't read on it for hours on end but you can imagine how nice it is on iPad.  Then again, B&N, Amazon, and Borders all currently have a greater selection than Apple does.  But, if Apple catches up, it could hurt the others.  One thing is for sure, iPads is great for books with charts, graphs, pillustrations, etc.  I can't wait to see a textbook on my iPad.

Inspired Contributor
Fantolay
0 Kudos

Amazon is expected to release a wifi only Kindle in August, and a Kindle 3 shortly after. Many bloggers are spreading the rumor that Kindle 3 will have a touch screen. Apparently logs show that Amazon hired some LCD engineer person...