Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

When do you think it will happen?

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

Re: When do you think it will happen?

It's gotta happen by the end of the week.

I think another good question is "what exactly will Amazon do"?  The wifi-only model is something they can't currently compete with.  So do they just match the $199 price?  Or do they go somewhere in between?

- Zach
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

bilbravo wrote:

It's gotta happen by the end of the week.

I think another good question is "what exactly will Amazon do"?  The wifi-only model is something they can't currently compete with.  So do they just match the $199 price?  Or do they go somewhere in between?

I think they hit the $199 price point, the rumor is a wifi Kindle sometime around August...  The blogs are having a field day with this...

Amazon's Kindle in crosshairs: Barnes & Noble cuts nook prices as e-reader war heats up

It was really stupid of Amazon to be caught off guard like this, I know Doug and I both stated our opinions on these boards when the gift card promotion hit and we hit with both the new version and price points.  I know Amazon has people that are paid to figure these things out.

All in all though, I don't think B&N is going after Amazon as much as they are the new Borders setup, their timing is perfect to cut into the upcoming Borders market.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

The rumor has been $199 for months now with a wifi later this summer/fall.  I see the wifi version undercutting nook at maybe $129 or even $99.  Amazon is already competitive in pricing and that is with carrying the cost of the 3G with web broswer support.  When they drop that, it is likely they will have greater savings to work with then B&N did with nook.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alley415 wrote:

The rumor has been $199 for months now with a wifi later this summer/fall.  I see the wifi version undercutting nook at maybe $129 or even $99.  Amazon is already competitive in pricing and that is with carrying the cost of the 3G with web broswer support.  When they drop that, it is likely they will have greater savings to work with then B&N did with nook

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

The rumor has been $199 for months now with a wifi later this summer/fall.  I see the wifi version undercutting nook at maybe $129 or even $99.  Amazon is already competitive in pricing and that is with carrying the cost of the 3G with web broswer support.  When they drop that, it is likely they will have greater savings to work with then B&N did with nook.

And I hope they do drop it to $99 for wifi only, then I'll pick up a nook for my daughter as I'm sure they will match it.  The war is just beginning I think...  We all benefit in the end.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

Oh Alley, the nook with 3G now has 3G web browser support @ the $199 price point.

And that just shows how much more of a hit that B&N is taking.  They are getting desperate for sales.  I can only imagine the market share Apple will get this week from Amazon and B&N.  On a side note, my mother in law updated hers and can't currently access the web via 3G.  maybe they are slowly rolling it out.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Alley, I don't think it's desperation at all, I've seen that all over the Kindle boards this morning with nothing to base it on...  Frankly, it smacks of jealousy and envy. 

I think this happened to keep Borders from getting any kind of market share with the new Kobo reader and that is just good business sense...  The timing of this suggests that and no other reason.  In the end B&N wants to sell books and you are more likely to be brand loyal to your reader.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

My mother in law called B&N.  There is expanded wifi support but no 3G support for the web browser.  Maybe Michael can verify.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

My mother in law called B&N.  There is expanded wifi support but no 3G support for the web browser.  Maybe Michael can verify.

Nope, you MIL is correct, my bad from reading about the update too quickly this morning.  :smileyhappy:  It's not something I use so I didn't pay close attention.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Alley, I don't think it's desperation at all, I've seen that all over the Kindle boards this morning with nothing to base it on...  Frankly, it smacks of jealousy and envy. 

I think this happened to keep Borders from getting any kind of market share with the new Kobo reader and that is just good business sense...  The timing of this suggests that and no other reason.  In the end B&N wants to sell books and you are more likely to be brand loyal to your reader.

I agree with this in part.  But the timing is interesting.  It is ironic that it is released the exact same day ios4 was released by Apple whcih gives ibooks support to iphones and newer iPod touches.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

I agree with this in part.  But the timing is interesting.  It is ironic that it is released the exact same day ios4 was released by Apple whcih gives ibooks support to iphones and newer iPod touches.

And the Borders app was released today and the new readers in a week and the Borders store on 7/16...  Like I said, good business sense in trying to gain market share.  These readers are getting to be like razors, they aren't interested so much in the profit from the reader, they want the profit from the blades-the books!

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

And the Borders app was released today and the new readers in a week and the Borders store on 7/16...  Like I said, good business sense in trying to gain market share.  These readers are getting to be like razors, they aren't interested so much in the profit from the reader, they want the profit from the blades-the books!

Very true. I just think they are doing whatever they can to keep the market share they have.  BTW, ibooks looks much better than I thought it would on the iPhone.  I can't wait to see how crisp the text will be on iPhone 4.

New User
taffeyb

It's already happened.  Amazon Kindle is priced @ $189.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

The Borders app leaves a lot to be desired.  Sure it swipes but if I read quickly, it has to load each page before turning.  There is also no highlight or note function on it. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

The Borders app leaves a lot to be desired.  Sure it swipes but if I read quickly, it has to load each page before turning.  There is also no highlight or note function on it. 

I don't ever read on my iPhone, I do like the fact the store is open on the app!  I took advantage of the free gift card with purchase this weekend.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

Very true. I just think they are doing whatever they can to keep the market share they have.  BTW, ibooks looks much better than I thought it would on the iPhone.  I can't wait to see how crisp the text will be on iPhone 4.

I'm updating my phone now...  I'll let you know what I honestly think about the iBooks app.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I went to Amazon, typed in Kindle and am getting a price of 189.........I cannot find the 259. price anymore.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

I went to Amazon, typed in Kindle and am getting a price of 189.........I cannot find the 259. price anymore.

Yep, the war is on...  I wonder if it ends here or does B&N match it?

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Now if only publishers would start getting into price cutting wars it'd be a victory all around for consumers.