Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
giddybird
0 Kudos

Where are the Nook Commercials?

Where are the Nook commercials?  I see tons of Kindle commercials, and I think the Nook would "show" so much better :smileyhappy:

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Re: Where are the Nook Commercials?

I have seen one Nook commercial a few times, but only on a few cable channels, big ones, but not network.

the commercial is, in my opinion, much classier than the Kindle ones, and it is much clearer what is being sold.

So, B & N when do the commercials go to the big leagues?

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Frequent Contributor
Fraktal
0 Kudos

Maybe they don't spend as much as Amazon on commercials because B&N has actual, physical stores with huge Nook displays all over the country.  Not only do probably as many people see these as see the Amazon Kindle commercials each day, but they "ad" of the store display is going right at the target audience, vs. the Kindle which reaches 99% people who don't care about it and ignore it.

F

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Not to mention, advertising, especially TV advertising, costs money and that expense gets passed on to, us, the consumers.  I agree, the nook displays in the store target the right audience.  And TV ads, today with DVRs, are simply bypassed by a lot of people.

I think product placement within TV shows is a much better idea, if they want to spend that money on advertising.

Distinguished Correspondent
mousetater
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I agree, the nook displays in the store target the right audience. 

I agree that a Nook display in the store targets the right audience, but it misses the audience that isn't currently B&N customers.  It misses the strictly Amazon or Borders customer, etc. They will never see the Nook display. Maybe that is why they do TV commercials, but only on certain stations, etc.  (I didn't know SONY had an eReader until I saw the display in a Sam's Club. Of course, it was a non-working demo model, so I went to B&N to check out an eReader that I could actually put my hands on - and that responded to my actions.) I agree that additional advertising would cost us (the customer) money, so I don't want to see them go all-out on that form of advertising.

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Borders is the only chain book store in my city, and I've never been in a B&N. I've never seen a Nook commercial, and only knew about it when I began doing online comparisons and reviews of all the available e-readers.

Until I saw a review of the Nook, I was planning to buy a Kindle. Thank goodness I'm a research-before-I-buy junkie. 

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

I think that the people who would purchase a nook see it perfectly either on the website or at the stores themselves. I know the one store over by my house has the display right as you walk in, dead center. There is even someone standing there almost encouraging you to come check it out. I think the big display that you have to walk right past to get to the rest of the bookstore is better than a tv commercial. Most people who sit around watching tv all the time don't read that much anyways in my experience.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Getting the message to the right audience like B&N store display. But also consider not all is equal. When counting on just that. Stores are not magically and evenly dispersed over the country. So rural and less populations areas may not even have a B&N Store or heard of the nook but have seen the kindle ads. And many of them readers.

Also many of the older generation that are avid readers that don't get around or been in a B&N store before. I wasn't and had a B&N just 3 miles away. And never been there before buying a nook. As I don't drive and my reading desire and cash had been waning last decade. Now reading more in last two months then last two years.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
AnacondaCamp
0 Kudos

It's definitely a money issue. Amazon released their quarterly profit numbers and in the Wall St. Journal article, Amazon was quoted as saying their revenue was down due to their Kindle advertising costs. This was likely to continue to pull down profits as they will be advertising heavily in the fall.

B&N's watching their marketing dollars smartly by advertising in their stores, online and through affiliate partners advertising (i.e. Best Buy).

Frequent Contributor
DogStreetBookGuy
0 Kudos

And let's not forget the print media.  It seems like every weekend I see a great, big, shiny ad for the Kindle in the Sunday color supplement of the New York Times or in the NYT Book Review.  As a B&N employee it (irrationally, I admit) galls me a bit to see such a well-placed ad for our competitor's device and ours is nowhere in sight.

Also, increasingly, when I read articles about the e-book/e-publishing phenomenon they without fail mention the Kindle or the iPadbut very seldom (in my experience) is the Nook mentioned at all.  B&N's PR department should be working overtime increasing the visibility of it's product.  I am not convinced that the e-format war is going to go the way of VCR vs. Laser disc or Blue Ray vs. HD.  I remain hopeful that there will be room in this market for multiple devices (ideally, devices that handle all available formats).  But is within the realm of possibility that one device might end up reigning supreme.  If that ends up being the case, I'd much rather it be the Nook than the Kindle.

But, hey...who's to say we can't all just peacefully co-exist?

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

I can definitely understand why B&N might not want to spend on television advertising, but it might be a bit unwise to ignore it entirely!

I live in a small town. The nearest Barnes & Noble store is an hour plus drive away, one way. Likewise for Best Buy. It is rare that I visit either store. The older I get, the less I like to drive long distances. Further, I have rarely had occasion to visit the BN.com website until now. Most of my book purchases have been from Amazon.com and Amazon Marketplace (where I also sell sometimes).

If a friend of mine had not purchased a Nook for Christmas, I might never have heard about it, and quite possibly, when I got the Amazon email for the recent Kindle price drop, would immediately have purchased Kindle! I actually came quite close to doing that!

Fortunately, my friend had previously told me about her Nook and what she liked about it, so upon receiving that email from Amazon, I did research on both Kindle and Nook, then finding out about the very attractively priced Nook WiFi. It ended by both my husband and I choosing Nooks. We drove to the store especially to look at Nook and then decided to buy.

But because of the lack of advertising for Nook, we could quite easily have become a two Kindle family instead! In fact, we leaned that way for a while, until we found more recent reviews of the Nook.

While the majority of people no doubt live in larger cities where a Barnes & Noble store might be common, there are a great many people throughout the country who live in smaller towns and cities. I just looked to check store listings for Williston, ND, where we previously lived before moving here to eastern Oregon and there are no store listings within 100 miles.

In many cases, the people living in small towns are much less influenced by "what everyone else has" and are more likely to judge by benefits/features. Yet, if these people never hear about the Nook, they will most likely buy the competition offering that they DO hear about.

I think Nook could indeed use more visibility.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

"I just looked to check store listings for Williston, ND, where we previously lived before moving here to eastern Oregon and there are no store listings within 100 miles."

Saying Hi! from Portland.. Yep those were the exact points I was making. And there is many options for B&N to get noticed. Hell I would be sending free nooks to many of the newspaper writers to review and there is Magazines,Airports,Bus Terminals,Cab Ads & Billboards.

I guess they never heard you gotsa spend a little to get noticed!

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Hello from Salem, also!

State capitol, second largest city...no Barnes and Noble. No Trader Joe's, either, but that's a whole different rant.:smileywink:

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats

I really like the Kindle commercials and, actually, they are what prompted me to buy the Nook.

The Kindle commercials made me curious about ereaders. I did a lot of research to see which one offered the features I wanted. In the end it came down to the Nook.

Had I not seen the Kindle commercials I might have remained basically ereader ignorant and stuck with DTBs. Now I have my Nook, which I love, love, love :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Hello back, Portland and Salem!

Wow, surprised to hear no B&N in Salem! Before I was in ND, I lived in CA. I surely miss Trader Joe's and also the Fresh Choice salad bar restaurant chain. At any rate, the B&N in the Tri-Cities is the only store within a hundred miles of us here.

I do think B&N could use more press, so I take my Nook out with me. I've shown it off to the librarians at my library and will do stuff like read it in line at the grocery store or elsewhere. If anyone ever notices, I'd be happy to show it off. Hubby has shown his off at work. We haven't seen lots of interest though, I guess we haven't run into serious readers yet.

B&N could probably get some fairly cheap publicity by sending Nooks to some popular blogs, getting reviews, maybe having a giveaway.

Some folks will hear of the Kindle and do research on e-Readers and find Nook, but many, many others will just buy the Kindle. I get the feeling lots of folks DON'T research what they buy much.

I will say this, B&N has a good thing going with the Friday Freebies. Delved into one the other day, the first of a series and LIKED IT and bought the second last night!

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

I learned about the nook from the kindle boards. One of the posters recommended I check out the nook. I had no idea what it was til then. Did some research, checked it out, and now I Have one. I absolutely love it and have encouraged 5 people to also buy one. I knew about the kindle when the first one came out because oprah had advertised it on her show. I am so glad I researched first.

Prior to looking at the nook I had never even stepped in a b&n store because borders was a mile closer. Now, I am in the store all the time and I love it. I did recently go to target, best buy, and borders to see the other devices in person and try them out and it only confirmed even more that I made the best decision for me. The kobo does not even compare to the nook. I did like the Ipad, but If I were to buy one it would not be for reading. I will say the fact that I could not try a kindle in store before buying was a major delay in me buying one. They now have them at targets but its a demo only at my store.

Some advertisement wouldnt hurt though because almost everyone knows what a kindle is and my device often gets called a kindle and then I have to explain its a nook. I do believe the sales are strong but I think if more people new the device existed then more would buy them. My cousin and I could have easily gotten a kindle because we did not know the nook existed. I am glad I did some research and absolutely love my nook. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

I'd like to see some Nook commercials, too.  They could really improve product exposure and drive additional sales, as many people posting here have said.

When the original Nook marketing plan was put together to support the rollout, I imagine that advertising was deemphasized.  B&N's challenge at the time was managing demand, not increasing demand.  Nook pre-orders and early orders maxed out the initial shipments from the manufacturers, and they found themselves in a backorder condition for Christmas -- a nightmare scenario for a retailer. 

I think that we're still seeing a hangover from that bad experience and the marketing plan's been on autopilot.  This would be a good time to give it another look.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

yes now would be a great time, summer reading leading into back to school leading into the holiday prep...

The commercials do exist, I have seen them on a few cable stations, usually in the evening, , now if they would just get better exposure.....

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Reader
Atomix
0 Kudos

Well, those ads that B&N has in their stores definately don't work on me, because I can't see 3874,58 miles away :smileytongue:

Correspondent
timetravel
0 Kudos

I've never seen a nook commercial, but I love the Kindle ads.  I especially like the one where the Kindle is under water.  I wonder how many people think they are buying a waterproof reader :smileyvery-happy:.  Wouldn't trade my nook for anything.